Bushmaster .223 Rifle With TRS-25 Red Dot $649 Cabela's In-Store Only

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

superHARD

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2003
Also since we have zero for sure info on this gun or the scope and no links to what the product is to see it...I'd say it's a dead/non deal anyways.

I build my AR's...and that's by far cheaper than this and you get quality products no question. Shoot just buying your own upper and your own lower is cheaper than this...

subtraction

Nov 22, 2009
Also since we have zero for sure info on this gun or the scope and no links to what the product is to see it...I'd say it's a dead/non deal anyways.

I build my AR's...and that's by far cheaper than this and you get quality products no question. Shoot just buying your own upper and your own lower is cheaper than this...

I am certainly not defending these bushmaster products by any means... to be honest I personally am not a fan and would at best consider them a third tier manufacturer of ar's. But where are you getting an complete upper with bcg and all as well as a lower for $650 unless its junky garbage...

Half decent lower made by a top tier company will set you back ~ $350 and you can pick up a bravo company upper which I personally consider top tier for the cheapest one at $399. Add in a complete bcg and charging handle and your approaching the $900 dollar mark easily.

I am not trying to call you out or anything but seriously where are you getting your stuff outside of super hot deals at gun shows or classifieds posted online.

Personally I have found wheeling and dealing with local gun stores on a good old you betcha Colt 6920 can be had for $1100 here in North Ga. Thats the best quality per dollar value you can get in my honest opinion. And the conveniance of not having to search and hunt for stuff in stock (complete bcg's are seemingly impossible for me to get my hands on) you open the box and your good to go.

ikky68

Jul 15, 2010
I am not trying to call you out or anything but seriously where are you getting your stuff outside of super hot deals at gun shows or classifieds posted online.

Let me dig up the information (it's at home) and I'll edit or add to this post later.

Unless you have the tools, I would buy the upper preassembled. If you don't have the tools, access to them via buddies or conservation club guys will suffice as well.

For the lowers, go for any mil-spec reciever. Those 'mil-spec's should make them comparable, hence the term: specifications...

I just used a Doublestar lowers kit and it really sucked. The DPMS that I used previously was much better for only about $10 more. Not saying that all Doublestar parts kits suck, I have friends that swear by them.

For the buffer/stock assembly it's all personal preference...

More info later... :ninja:

subtraction

Nov 22, 2009
Let me dig up the information (it's at home) and I'll edit or add to this post later.

Unless you have the tools, I would buy the upper preassembled. If you don't have the tools, access to them via buddies or conservation club guys will suffice as well.

For the lowers, go for any mil-spec reciever. Those 'mil-spec's should make them comparable, hence the term: specifications...

I just used a Doublestar lowers kit and it really sucked. The DPMS that I used previously was much better for only about $10 more. Not saying that all Doublestar parts kits suck, I have friends that swear by them.

For the buffer/stock assembly it's all personal preference...

More info later... :ninja:

I do have the tools for a complete assembly its just so much easier and generally less of a hassle and actually turns out to be a lot cheaper to buy a complete upper and a complete lower and mate them togeather and be done. Which is what I'd intended to portray my idea as not do a total complete assembly as I had said previously everywhere I go locally and the e stores I feel safe ordering from are out of stock on most stuff so doing that anyways has led to headaches trying to round up all the necessary components.

But really I'd be very interested to know where you get parts for so cheap is essentially what I had been inquiring!

superHARD

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2003
I do have the tools for a complete assembly its just so much easier and generally less of a hassle and actually turns out to be a lot cheaper to buy a complete upper and a complete lower and mate them togeather and be done. Which is what I'd intended to portray my idea as not do a total complete assembly as I had said previously everywhere I go locally and the e stores I feel safe ordering from are out of stock on most stuff so doing that anyways has led to headaches trying to round up all the necessary components.

But really I'd be very interested to know where you get parts for so cheap is essentially what I had been inquiring!

I do the same, I buy my stuff from auction sites for cheap. My RRA match lower was $200 shipped and you can find people shooter uppers with BCG real cheap sometimes in the $300 ballpark.

ikky68

Jul 15, 2010
I do have the tools for a complete assembly its just so much easier and generally less of a hassle and actually turns out to be a lot cheaper to buy a complete upper and a complete lower and mate them together and be done. Which is what I'd intended to portray my idea as not do a total complete assembly as I had said previously everywhere I go locally and the e stores I feel safe ordering from are out of stock on most stuff so doing that anyways has led to headaches trying to round up all the necessary components.

Here's where I bought my upper. It was $350+shipping at the time, right now it's $375.
http://www.jsesurplus.com/custom16hbarmidlength1x9flattopuppercompletestandard-2-1.aspx

The lower that I bought was from rguns.net and it was $65 at the time. Rguns has a lower assembly without the butt stock for about $160+shipping.

Here's a del-ton stripped lower for $90: http://www.jsesurplus.com/stagarmsstrippedlowerreceiver-1.aspx

parts for a rifle:
375 (complete upper)
90 (del-ton stripped lower)
55 (dpms lower parts kit: http://www.jsesurplus.com/dpmslowerreceiverpartskit-1.aspx)
50 (buffer/stock kit: http://www.amazon.com/GMG-position-A...2228826&sr=1-4

add some shipping and your sights preferences... With shipping, the above should be around $600

BTW, this place has great deals (frequently)
http://www.budsgunshop.com

Aug 23, 2000
is it free ship and free ffl? still have to pay ffl no matter what you buy hahaha

I also didnt think its that great of deal and didnt see anything in the add i would buy. Can put together your own custom ar15 for about 600 bux.

If you buy from a store, as in the case of the post. There isn't an FFL fee unless you live in a gay state that makes the dealer charge you for the background check.
I can walk into any store in Texas and buy a gun and not pay an FFL fee. The only time you have to pay an FFL fee is if you have a firearm mailed to a FFL holder that will process the 4473 required with the purchase of a firearm. And then FFL fees are not mandatory. FFL's can charge whatever they want.
My guy only charges $10.

As far as putting one together, you're not going to be putting a good one together for $600.
Receiver is going to be ~$100 (shipping and ffl fee additional)
Upper receivers go from $70-$100
dust cover: $10-$20
LPK $60-$150
Barrel : $200+
charging handle : $25
Bolt carrier group $120
sights : $30-$100
magazine : $10
muzzle break/compensator : $10
basic stock plus tube/spring/buffer : $65
forearm : $35 +
Armorers wrench : $30
vice block to tighen barrel nut : $20
So around $850-$900 to build one with ok parts.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
can you purchase colt uppers and lowers?

Yes you can buy uppers from Colt but not lowers, but I don't know why you would. There is nothing that Colt has over top tier AR15 manufacturers/assemblers. A BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, or Noveske is every bit as good as Colt. Colt doesn't innovate and as a result their uppers are extremely limited in configuration options. That said, they are starting to feel the pressure and have started selling parts at reasonable prices.

To get a Colt lower you are going to need to look at gunbroker or AR forums. For a complete lower you are looking at around $600 and $400 for a stripped lower. You are only paying for name.

Daniel Defense makes their own lowers that have improvement over the normal design(i.e. flared magwells) for regular money. Colt is just overpriced but people pay it so I can see why they charge it.

insanity2

Apr 10, 2005
Personally, I'd rather have a Mini-14 than an AR-15, but if I was gong to spend that much money for an AR, I'd get Rock River

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
hell.... are the 5.56 slowly dying? Since it is just .22's... with a huge cartridge?