Bush to give speech at 9:00 pm EST

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Balt
Yes, it's quite comforting to know that we have a President who can't do anything right and that he has enough resolve to keep bringing in the body bags.

*sigh*
I said on that day "this now pussified country doesn't have the heart or the stomach for war, but we're going to war."

You're just proving my point and what i said on that day.

For what reason are we at war? I suppose anyone who doesn't believe in invading a country under false pretenses is just an anti-war "pussy" in your book? :roll:

I take it you are already in the service? If you are willing to tell other people that they should risk their lives for a cause such as Iraq, but you aren't willing to back it up by sticking out your own neck, I'd say you are pretty "pussified" yourself.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: conjur
See my previous reply to your BS reply.

Also, if you'll note my first post in this thread I said he stopped the hunt for Al Qaeda (in 2001) and provided evidence of such in a later post. I note you have failed to address that in any way, shape, or form.

Ok, a direct response to your "he stopped the hunt for Al Qaeda (in 2001)" comment, with evidence.

March 22, 2002: Abu Zubaydah, beleived to have served as Osama Bin Laden's field commanders and chief recruiter is captured during a raid in Pakistan
Sept 11, 2002: Ramzi Binalshibh is arrested in Karachi, he is accused being a leading member of al-qaeda and one of the main planners of 9-11
March 1, 2003: Khalid Mohammed, thought to be one of alQaeda's most seniors leaders is arrested in a joint Pakistan-CIA operation near Islamabad.
May 4, 2005: Pakistan announces it has arrested Abu Farajal-Libbi, thought to be third in the networks hierarchy.
June 8,2006: Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is killed in a US airstrike. He was the head of Al-Qaeda in Iraq.
Sept 3, 2006: Hamed Jumaa al- Saedi, was arrested, He was the second most important Al Qaeda in Iraq leader, after Abu Ayyub al-Masri, al-Rubaie said. Al-Masri succeeded Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who was killed in a U.S. airstrike north of Baghdad on June 7

All of these events take place after you claim Bush stopped the hunt for Al Qaeda in 2001.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/3618762.stm

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: bobdelt

And he's the BASTARD that STOPPED the hunt for Al Qaeda!!
Really? Do you have a link for that? We stopped hunting Al Qaeda? Hmmm.... I must have missed that one. Now, we might have outsourced the hunt for Osama... But I don't think I ever heard anything about stopping the hunt for Al Qaeda...
Bush Admin halts Operation Catcher's Mitt
http://web.archive.org/web/200404011420...ahoo.com/prnews/040321/nysu007a_1.html

WH cuts counter-terror programs
http://www.criminology.fsu.edu/transcri...nged%20Goals%20of%20Justice%20Dept.htm

WH terror task force on counter-terrorism never met
http://dir.salon.com/politics/feature/2001/09/12/bush/index.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/05/20010508.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A8734-2002Jan19?language=printer
http://foi.missouri.edu/terrorismfoi/whatwentwrong.html

Special Forces pulled from hunt for bin Laden
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2004-03-28-troop-shifts_x.htm

You said stopped the hunt for Al Qaeda, and when asked for proof only provide links of the Bush admin stopping the hunt for Bin Laden. I want proof they stopped the hunt for AL QAEDA please.

johnnobts

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
-It was a good speech. enjoyed several parts to it in particular, especially his story about the mother and her two sons at the end (one enlisted to fight, the other became a fireman).

-some good lines:

1. "And they have one question for us: Do we have the confidence to do in the Middle East what our fathers and grandfathers accomplished in Europe and Asia? By standing with democratic leaders and reformers, by giving voice to the hopes of decent men and women, we are offering a path away from radicalism. And we are enlisting the most powerful force for peace and moderation in the Middle East: the desire of millions to be free."

2. "This struggle has been called a clash of civilizations. In truth, it is a struggle for civilization. We are fighting to maintain the way of life enjoyed by free nations. And we are fighting for the possibility that good and decent people across the Middle East can raise up societies based on freedom, and tolerance, and personal dignity."

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
I just watched the Olberman speech...my lord, what an amazing speaker he is. Captivating. That was one of the best opinion speeches I've ever seen.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: johnnobts

2. "This struggle has been called a clash of civilizations. In truth, it is a struggle for civilization. We are fighting to maintain the way of life enjoyed by free nations. And we are fighting for the possibility that good and decent people across the Middle East can raise up societies based on freedom, and tolerance, and personal dignity."

Not to monday morning quarterback but, we havent delivered any of these things to date, and have no ability to do them in the future.

Iraq is a waste of lives, money, and credibility. Iraq never asked for these things that Bush is trying to deliver in the tip of a missle.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ntdz
Originally posted by: bobdelt

And he's the BASTARD that STOPPED the hunt for Al Qaeda!!
Really? Do you have a link for that? We stopped hunting Al Qaeda? Hmmm.... I must have missed that one. Now, we might have outsourced the hunt for Osama... But I don't think I ever heard anything about stopping the hunt for Al Qaeda...
Bush Admin halts Operation Catcher's Mitt
http://web.archive.org/web/200404011420...ahoo.com/prnews/040321/nysu007a_1.html

WH cuts counter-terror programs
http://www.criminology.fsu.edu/transcri...nged%20Goals%20of%20Justice%20Dept.htm

WH terror task force on counter-terrorism never met
http://dir.salon.com/politics/feature/2001/09/12/bush/index.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/05/20010508.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A8734-2002Jan19?language=printer
http://foi.missouri.edu/terrorismfoi/whatwentwrong.html

Special Forces pulled from hunt for bin Laden
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2004-03-28-troop-shifts_x.htm

You said stopped the hunt for Al Qaeda, and when asked for proof only provide links of the Bush admin stopping the hunt for Bin Laden. I want proof they stopped the hunt for AL QAEDA please.

1st link, skippy

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
See my previous reply to your BS reply.

Also, if you'll note my first post in this thread I said he stopped the hunt for Al Qaeda (in 2001) and provided evidence of such in a later post. I note you have failed to address that in any way, shape, or form.

Ok, a direct response to your "he stopped the hunt for Al Qaeda (in 2001)" comment, with evidence.

March 22, 2002: Abu Zubaydah, beleived to have served as Osama Bin Laden's field commanders and chief recruiter is captured during a raid in Pakistan
Sept 11, 2002: Ramzi Binalshibh is arrested in Karachi, he is accused being a leading member of al-qaeda and one of the main planners of 9-11
March 1, 2003: Khalid Mohammed, thought to be one of alQaeda's most seniors leaders is arrested in a joint Pakistan-CIA operation near Islamabad.
May 4, 2005: Pakistan announces it has arrested Abu Farajal-Libbi, thought to be third in the networks hierarchy.
June 8,2006: Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is killed in a US airstrike. He was the head of Al-Qaeda in Iraq.
Sept 3, 2006: Hamed Jumaa al- Saedi, was arrested, He was the second most important Al Qaeda in Iraq leader, after Abu Ayyub al-Masri, al-Rubaie said. Al-Masri succeeded Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who was killed in a U.S. airstrike north of Baghdad on June 7

All of these events take place after you claim Bush stopped the hunt for Al Qaeda in 2001.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/3618762.stm

Only because we were attacked on his watch. That seemed to light a bit of a fire under him. Too bad it was a flameout.

P.S. Zarqawi and al-Saedi were not Al Qaeda

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
OMG, I just got sick

That's generally the reaction of people without resolve. In nervous or uncertain times they don't have the resolve to maintain control of their central nervous system and proceed steadfastidly to the proper action.

It's simliar to prey for the kill. The weak ones curl up in a ball puking and crapping themselves, while the strong ACT for survival.
That reminds me of something I just read today...

Subject: Are you a Democrat, Republican or Southerner?

Are you a Democrat, Republican or Southerner?

Here is a little test that will help you decide.

The answer can be found by posing the following question:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small
children. Suddenly, an Islamic Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the
corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, praises Allah, raises the
knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock cal 40, and you are an
expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What
do you do?

........... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......

Democrat's Answer:

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question!
Does the man look poor? Or oppressed?
Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
Could we run away?
What does my wife think?
What about the kids?
Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of
his hand?
What does the law say about this situation?
Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?
Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does
this send to society and to my children?
Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?
Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound
me?
If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while
he was stabbing me?
Should I call 9-1-1?
Why is this street so deserted?
We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this happier,
healthier street that would discourage such behavior.
This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for
few days and try to come to a consensus.

........... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... .....

Republican's Answer:

BANG!

.......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......

Southerner's Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click.....

(sounds of reloading). BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

click.

Daughter: "Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips
or Hollow Points?

Son: Can I shoot the next one??

Wife: You ain't taking that to the Taxidermist!

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: johnnobts
-It was a good speech. enjoyed several parts to it in particular, especially his story about the mother and her two sons at the end (one enlisted to fight, the other became a fireman).

-some good lines:

1. "And they have one question for us: Do we have the confidence to do in the Middle East what our fathers and grandfathers accomplished in Europe and Asia? By standing with democratic leaders and reformers, by giving voice to the hopes of decent men and women, we are offering a path away from radicalism. And we are enlisting the most powerful force for peace and moderation in the Middle East: the desire of millions to be free."

That may have just been a clever turn of phrase, but I think it's worth reflecting on what it REALLY means to be fighting for civilization. Civilization, after all, is not just made up of people and buildings, but ideals and values, and quite frankly, I'm not sure we've paid enough attention to those aspects of this "struggle for civilization". At the very least, it's worth thinking about the next time the topic of torture or warrantless wiretaps or indefinite detention or secret prisons comes up.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Lanyap
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
OMG, I just got sick

That's generally the reaction of people without resolve. In nervous or uncertain times they don't have the resolve to maintain control of their central nervous system and proceed steadfastidly to the proper action.

It's simliar to prey for the kill. The weak ones curl up in a ball puking and crapping themselves, while the strong ACT for survival.
That reminds me of something I just read today...

Subject: Are you a Democrat, Republican or Southerner?

Are you a Democrat, Republican or Southerner?

Here is a little test that will help you decide.

The answer can be found by posing the following question:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small
children. Suddenly, an Islamic Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the
corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, praises Allah, raises the
knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock cal 40, and you are an
expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What
do you do?

........... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......

Democrat's Answer:

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question!
Does the man look poor? Or oppressed?
Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
Could we run away?
What does my wife think?
What about the kids?
Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of
his hand?
What does the law say about this situation?
Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?
Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does
this send to society and to my children?
Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?
Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound
me?
If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while
he was stabbing me?
Should I call 9-1-1?
Why is this street so deserted?
We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this happier,
healthier street that would discourage such behavior.
This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for
few days and try to come to a consensus.

........... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... .....

Republican's Answer:

BANG!

.......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......

Southerner's Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click.....

(sounds of reloading). BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

click.

Daughter: "Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips
or Hollow Points?

Son: Can I shoot the next one??

Wife: You ain't taking that to the Taxidermist!

Repost, and I'll say what I said last time...I still maintain that the Republican is far more likely to mow down the guy running the falafel cart across the street, and the southerner is pretty likely to miss completely since he's been drinking for several hours already. And seriously, what kind of Democrat carries around a loaded glock? ;)

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Conjur,

The resolve to do what is right even though it isn't "policitally correct". The steadfast drive to do the difficult job, to put your nose to the grindstone and do the right thing no matter what the cost.

That's resolve, that's why I love our President so much.

You mean put on the blinders and circle the grindstone? That's not something to admire, that's something to despise. That jacka$$ has no choice now and neither do the rest of us but to stay the course. So don't act like Bush has done something admirable because he hasn't. He and his cronies made the biggest foreign policy blunder of the past 40 years - nothing much to love there.

I'm sick and tired of Bush politicizing 9/11. He could have used his speech last night to offer condolences to the victims of the attacks and to try and bring the country together again and what does he do? He continues his political BS and continues to drive a wedge between the American people. What a douchebag.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Horus
I just watched the Olberman speech...my lord, what an amazing speaker he is. Captivating. That was one of the best opinion speeches I've ever seen.

FTW!

I then watched Bush speak and heard the same GD fear and terror speech (with some minor changes) he's been spewing since 9-11. He kept patting his right hand on the desk as he spoke. I took as an indication that even he doesn't believe the lies he was telling anymore. The real kicker and hilarious part of his speech now is that 'if we leave Iraq, they (the terrorists) will follow us'. Easiest way to find out that's not true is just leave. Let's see how the voters' see it this November. Anything is better than giving this idiot and his cronies a rubber stamp.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: conehead433
Originally posted by: Horus

FTW!

I then watched Bush speak and heard the same GD fear and terror speech (with some minor changes) he's been spewing since 9-11. He kept patting his right hand on the desk as he spoke. I took as an indication that even he doesn't believe the lies he was telling anymore. The real kicker and hilarious part of his speech now is that 'if we leave Iraq, they (the terrorists) will follow us'. Easiest way to find out that's not true is just leave. Let's see how the voters' see it this November. Anything is better than giving this idiot and his cronies a rubber stamp.

The line about the terrorists following us is the same inane drivel he's been pushing since he realized that most Americans don't support the war anymore. He's basically saying in not so many words, "Well, you may not agree with it, and it may have been a bad idea, but if we leave now, it'll be worse," which , honestly, how could it be. Insurgents now run 1/3 of Iraq, and are advancing into the northern territories. What exactly can get worse about a situation where Insurgents are running rampant in a huge part of the country and are actually winning in their attempts to take more? What exactly is sitting in Iraq fending off Iraqis gaining us from a security point of view? You can say it makes us safer all day, but until you can tell me WHY it makes us safer, I don't see it.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
Spidey, I'm tryin to be civil here, but strap on a helmet and get over to Iraq. We'll see how much of a stomach YOU have for this pointless war.

Was the war pointless when we started it?
Or just pointless now that things have turned into a mess?

The war may have been a mistake, but that doesn't erase the fact that we are there now and what we do in Iraq today will have been consequences for years and years.
Our choices are stay there until we win the war.
Or come home, hand the terrorist a huge victory and sit on our hands waiting for the next big terror attack, hoping and praying that our intelligence agencies stop it before it happens.

First define an American victory keeping in mind muzzies like death more than we like life. You must understand it's profitable for them to die in a martydom operation.

I don't know how you beat that other than genocide which we have too high of standards to do. Or cut their access to your society off completly, ie no immigration and forced deportations which we are too PC to do. Or third cut off thier weath apparatus, oil trade, which we are unprepared to do with paltry investment in alternative tranportation.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

Our choices are stay there until we win the war.
Or come home, hand the terrorist a huge victory and sit on our hands waiting for the next big terror attack, hoping and praying that our intelligence agencies stop it before it happens.

I think I may have finally come to understand the right-wing thinking. Thank you PJ.