Bush to announce Missions to Moon (!) and Mars in a big speech next week

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
AP news

Next week Bush will announce major new space programs...including new missions to the moon, a space/moon station there with permanent human presence...and finally, end of this decade also landing people on Mars.

Hmmm...yikes.....wasn't it like that 2/3 of all Mars mission failed ?

Anyway...interesting......

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Not getting my hopes up definetly could be hype but I would LOVE to see either one. If he makes a serious proposal I'll vote for him on the naieve hope that a politician will keep his word.

I still have this sinking feeling that this has something to do with his missile sheild.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Engineers would have to build new spacecraft for the trips to and from the moon and Mars. If the Apollo-style mission design was adopted, there would also be the need for landing craft that would undock from the mother ship and touch down to the moon or Mars.

Haven't thought this for about 10 years now....but, I want to be an astronaut!!!!!

raptor13

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you read the article, it says Bush won't call for men on mars by 2010. It says we'll prepare for that, though, in the coming decade.

Still, I'm voting for the man if he says he's funding the space program. I don't care if it's all lies, I have more than enough foolish hope that he'll lock my vote right up. :D

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Interesting, but somehow I think it's all hot air. I doubt he'll follow through on this. But I hope we do go back to space in a big way, we need to..

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
Originally posted by: virtuamike
Maybe that's where the WMDs are

My Fellow Americans, our fight against terrorism is now moving outside our own planet. We're almost certain that the martians - still at large - have stockpiles of WMDs stored beneath the surface of the planet. They could strike at any time! Our only choice is a full-scale invasion of Mars 10 years from now.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
No one, least of all members of Congress, knows how NASA would pay for lunar camps or Mars expeditions.

2 words. Iraqi oil.

I should be a politician. Not only am I helping Bush find WMDs, I'm also helping him fund it.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: apac

We're almost certain that the martians - still at large - have stockpiles of WMDs stored beneath the surface of the planet. They could strike at any time. Our only choice is a full-scale invasion of Mars 10 years from now.

bwahahahah

all mars rovers (especially you non-working mofos) beware

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Interesting, but somehow I think it's all hot air. I doubt he'll follow through on this. But I hope we do go back to space in a big way, we need to..

While space exploration is definitely needed in the future, IMO we need to focus on issues that need to be addressed here on Earth 1st Astaroth33 :)

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Yzzim

We're almost certain that the martians - still at large - have stockpiles of WMDs stored beneath the surface of the planet. They could strike at any time. Our only choice is a full-scale invasion of Mars 10 years from now.

bwahahahah

For all you know, it was the martians that disabled our rover in the first place. See? The invasion has already begun!!

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
"No firm cost estimates have been developed, but informal discussions have put the cost of a Mars expedition at nearly a trillion dollars, depending on how ambitious the project was. The cost of a moon colony would depend on what NASA wants to do on the lunar surface."

Hopefully my buddy Robert Zubrin from the Mars Society will get some input on this. If it is a trillion dollar proposal it will get shot down. Put 40 billion is a totally reasonable estimate for a 3 mission to mars program if it is NOT done with a mothership. If the fuel is taken from the martian atmosphere. If a visual array (inferometric array) on the moon I would be just as excited, something like this would mike the hubble seem like a pair of binoculars. He's got the opportunity to do great things I just hope he does.

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein

While space exploration is definitely needed in the future, IMO we need to focus on issues that need to be addressed here on Earth 1st Astaroth33 :)

If NASA's bugedt was merely rearanged ( + 20 % maybe) that would be enough for a fiscially sane mars mission program.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Originally posted by: matt426malm
"No firm cost estimates have been developed, but informal discussions have put the cost of a Mars expedition at nearly a trillion dollars, depending on how ambitious the project was. The cost of a moon colony would depend on what NASA wants to do on the lunar surface."

Hopefully my buddy Robert Zubrin from the Mars Society will get some input on this. If it is a trillion dollar proposal it will get shot down. Put 40 billion is a totally reasonable estimate for a 3 mission to mars program if it is NOT done with a mothership. If the fuel is taken from the martian atmosphere. If a visual array (inferometric array) on the moon I would be just as excited, something like this would mike the hubble seem like a pair of binoculars. He's got the opportunity to do great things I just hope he does.

4 words to sum up the Bush presidency.

"Meanwhile, back on Earth . . ."

Don't hold me wrong, I would've never voted for Gore either. But I'd take Clinton over those 2 any day. Stupid term limit.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Originally posted by: stormbv
Let's ruin this planet and then colonize a new one! Great idea!

We'll make a prison colony where we send trolls and evil dictators.

You have been banished . . . to Mars.

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Yzzim

bwahahahah

For all you know, it was the martians that disabled our rover in the first place. See? The invasion has already begun!!

We have proof beyond any doubt that they also jacked both of our last probes, and disabled our latest. They used what I like to call "bite me in the ass" technology by firing a laser at the guidance systems. Back to the main topic, as you can see here and here, these formations are not rocks at all, they're actually mobile biological weapon labratories in disguise!

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: matt426malm

4 words to sum up the Bush presidency.

"Meanwhile, back on Earth . . ."

Don't hold me wrong, I would've never voted for Gore either. But I'd take Clinton over those 2 any day. Stupid term limit.

Probably hot air but I am so completely obsessed with space travel especcialy Mars that this has got me pissing my pants regardless.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein

Word.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: raptor13
If you read the article, it says Bush won't call for men on mars by 2010. It says we'll prepare for that, though, in the coming decade.

Still, I'm voting for the man if he says he's funding the space program. I don't care if it's all lies, I have more than enough foolish hope that he'll lock my vote right up. :D

thats exactly what hes hoping for. hes a liar