Bush Threatens to Veto $318B Highway Bill

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: buckmasterson
Huh, wonder if he's gonna divert it to Iraq...they could use some new roads too!

Text

So is the president spending too much or too little.

That's what I'm wondering. How are the liberals going to respond to this?

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
ASCE gave america's highways and roads a D something last time i checked. would you have bridges collapse that'd lead to lost of life and property?

<---- Civil Engineering major. funding=jobs=yay :p

leeboy

Banned
Dec 8, 2003
Huh, wonder if he's gonna divert it to Iraq...they could use some new roads too!

Text

Uh, too much on $hit, not enough at home where it counts. If the president wants to rack up a trillion dollar debt on improving the infastructure, education, health care, etc of the United States of America, I think you will find that most liberals would be slightly more accepting of it than just pissing it away abroad like he is. Very interesting how Dubya's first potential veto might come on a bill that is aimed at fixing this country, though. Just another reason not to vote for the person who has no concern for Americans who aren't rich and white.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: XZeroII

Text

How about contributing to the discussion rather than just wondering what those wacky leftists think about it?

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
ASCE gave america's highways and roads a D something last time i checked. would you have bridges collapse that'd lead to lost of life and property?

<---- Civil Engineering major. funding=jobs=yay :p

Hah. I always thought that Report Card was a bit self-serving. Its obvious though that our roads not only need repair, but more need to be built. It will be sad if an epidemic begins with structures collapsing from old age, but unfortunately only then will money be thrown in that direction.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Just another reason not to vote for the person who has no concern for Americans who aren't rich and white.

Yes my friend.. You hit the nail right on the head...
rolleye.gif

Zephyr106

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Surely you must understand, rebuilding our Middle East colony is more important than fixing infrastructure at home. Whereas the average American is complacent, the average Iraqi colonist is making demands that must be met to a certain point to maintain stability. Additionally, we must impress the world by proving we can take care of our colony.

Zephyr

Oct 16, 1999
This will be news when Bush actually uses his veto, something he has yet to do in his reign. He's on track to be the first president in nearly 200 years not to veto anything in a term. All Bush signs are blank checks to his congress & special interest buddies.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
others agree with the president that Congress must begin to show fiscal discipline.

Bwahahaha... *stops laughing to take a breath* bwahahahaha.... Oh, wow. Pot.kettle.black.

That's all. I'm off to school, swinging my lunch pail on the way.

Cheers!
Nate

TheGameIs21

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2001
I have a couple of issues with this...

1. "Bush Threatens to Veto...." The article never states why he threatens. I would like to know. Could there be some fat added that hasn't been discussed? Senate Bill S. 1072

2. The number of people on this post that now think he is doing this to divert to Iraq just because Buckmasterson said he wonders if he is.....
rolleye.gif

Zephyr106

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Don't take my post as indicative as a belief in anything. Personally I think Bush wants to divert this money to his marriage promotion plan.

Zephyr

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
Dear Lord George finally learned how to veto.

*paragraph deleted* ( I know you apologists would quote me later if a bridge were to collapse )

Assuming that the safety of our nation is supposedly at stake of getting blown to bits as Bush and Rice claim (Mushroom cloud!, Biological weapons!, WMD distribution!, terrorists!, fear, fear, fear! ) the roads can last a lil while longer.

Originally posted by: TheGameIs21
I have a couple of issues with this...

1. "Bush Threatens to Veto...." The article never states why he threatens. I would like to know. Could there be some fat added that hasn't been discussed? Senate Bill S. 1072

Good find. Check out [S.1072.PCS] and you'll see that they crossed out nearly every section that called for regulations, alternative/efficient transportation [research], and grants

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
Or he knows exactly when the oil crunch will hit, and it will be sooner than even the worst tinfoil imagines ....

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
If the two main things the feds should be wasting money on is infrastructure and defencess. Isn't this 318 billion supposed to be covered by gas and other related taxes anyways?

buckmasterson

Oct 12, 2002
Quote From TheGameIs21

"I have a couple of issues with this...

2. The number of people on this post that now think he is doing this to divert to Iraq just because Buckmasterson said he wonders if he is.....

***********************************************************************************************

Nope, not hardly. I don't think it has a thing to do with smoke and mirrors. I think George W Bush thinks he is the Leader of the World. I think he believes that he needs to budget for all the world using our hard earned dollars to do so. This means we suffer some as so he can keep the rest of his world on a more even economic level. Reduce our spending, spend more on others, then we are all equal in King George's World. :D

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
Originally posted by: XZeroII

Text

How about contributing to the discussion rather than just wondering what those wacky leftists think about it?

I have nothing to contribute. So rather than start talking like I know what I'm talking about when I really don't, I just make a non-commital comment.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Text
Too much overall, and of that "too much", far too little here in America.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Misleading headline

The White House has recommended $256 billion over the six years and says the[/i] president will be advised [/i]to veto any bill that goes beyond that or uses tax increases or deficit spending to finance it.

Also, most of those funds are paid in by the taxpayer as a targeted fuel tax similar to the airplane ticket tax that supports the FAA/NTSB to the Air Traffic System.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"That's what I'm wondering. How are the liberals going to respond to this? "

This liberal thinks money collected for the Highway trust fund should be spent on highways and infrastructure that affects highways.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
"That's what I'm wondering. How are the liberals going to respond to this? "

This liberal thinks money collected for the Highway trust fund should be spent on highways and infrastructure that affects highways.

I bet those crazy liberals also think that money collected for SS should be spent on SS.