Bush tax cut extension fails in Senate -> Repubs hands Dems a gift on silver platter?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nah- just keep it simple-

"Republicans voted to raise your taxes!"

Tough sell. People know Obama is the president, so he's going to get pinned with whatever happens, the way it's always been. Remember "read my lips"? Like I said, people don't care about or understand how policy is made, they care about their pocketbooks. When they start getting nailed in January, Obama's ratings are going to plummet and the dems are going to realize they'll get hammered in the next election.

My guess is that the dems will cave and they'll work out some compromise that will let both sides "save face" and claim victory.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

weak sauce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wtfbbq did obama cave in for?!

the repubs handed Obama their heads for the 2012 elections, and Obama is too short sighted to see this?!

He's an IDIOT for caving in!!!!!

"many congressional Democrats privately have expressed anger at Obama for his willingness to surrender to Republican demands to let the tax cuts remain in place at upper incomes"

hope they vote it down!!!

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Tough sell. People know Obama is the president, so he's going to get pinned with whatever happens, the way it's always been. Remember "read my lips"? Like I said, people don't care about or understand how policy is made, they care about their pocketbooks. When they start getting nailed in January, Obama's ratings are going to plummet and the dems are going to realize they'll get hammered in the next election.

My guess is that the dems will cave and they'll work out some compromise that will let both sides "save face" and claim victory.

Clinton was president during the government shutdown, and Republicans got blamed for it. The polls are quite favorable to Obama's Middle class cuts only position if he chooses to make a stand and actually exercise some leadership.
The problem is he hasn't done that, and probably won't here either. He seems to be OK with waiting to see what happens in Congress and then follow that instead of trying to lead the Congress to implement his agenda.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
weak sauce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wtfbbq did obama cave in for?!

the repubs handed Obama their heads for the 2012 elections, and Obama is too short sighted to see this?!

He's an IDIOT for caving in!!!!!

"many congressional Democrats privately have expressed anger at Obama for his willingness to surrender to Republican demands to let the tax cuts remain in place at upper incomes"

hope they vote it down!!!

You don't understand. If everybody's taxes go up Jan 1 the blame will be perceived to be all Obama's fault by the overwhelming majority of people. He's in charge, the blame goes on him. The republicans are in a can't lose situation.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Good, hope all the tax-breaks die (for all income brackets) and we can finally start to pay for the services we demand.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Democrats will have the White House and the Senate. How pray tell will the Republicans have control with a minor majority in the House?

Same way a parking boot has full control of a car, even if driver has keys and a tank full of gas.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
You don't understand. If everybody's taxes go up Jan 1 the blame will be perceived to be all Obama's fault by the overwhelming majority of people. He's in charge, the blame goes on him. The republicans are in a can't lose situation.

interesting

never thought of 'voters are stupid' angle

but then again, they only have a 4-6month political memory.

who cares what happens between now and March 2012?!

Obama/Dems and repubs should slug it out w/each other w/blanket impunity for the next year. get out all that anger.
they will all feel better in 2012

Nov 30, 2006
I don't think liberals have a game plan other than "kill the rich guy! Yeah!"
They say it's all about the top 1%...what a fucking lie. This is about grabbing as much money as possible from small business and the upper middle class.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
They say it's all about the top 1%...what a fucking lie. This is about grabbing as much money as possible from small business and the upper middle class.

95% of what is said about liberals here is wrong or lies, I can't remember the other 5%.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
In the long run expect them to tie the tax cut to an extension of unemployment benefits.

That will give everyone someone to cheer about and life will go on as usual (aka the deficit will keep growing)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The issue of who is on which side really haven't changed in a century.

"This is Ronald Reagan speaking to you from Hollywood. You know me as a motion picture actor but tonight I'm just a citizen pretty concerned about the national election next month and more than a little impatient with those promises the Republicans made before they got control of Congress a couple years ago.

I remember listening to the radio on election night in 1946. Joseph Martin, the Republican Speaker of the House, said very solemnly, and I quote, "We Republicans intend to work for a real increase in income for everybody by encouraging more production and lower prices without impairing wages or working conditions", unquote. Remember that promise: a real increase in income for everybody. But what actually happened?

The profits of corporations have doubled, while workers' wages have increased by only one-quarter. In other words, profits have gone up four times as much as wages, and the small increase workers did receive was more than eaten up by rising prices, which have also bored into their savings. For example, here is an Associate Press Dispatch I read the other day about Smith L. Carpenter, a craftsman in Union Springs, New York. It seems that Mr. Carpenter retired some years ago thinking he had enough money saved up that he could live out his last years without having to worry. But he didn’t figure on this Republican inflation, which ate up all of his savings, and so he's gone back to work. The reason this is news, is Mr. Carpenter is 91 years old.

Now, take as a contrast the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey, which reported a net profit of $210 million after taxes for the first half of 1948; an increase of 70% in one year. In other words, high prices have not been caused by higher wages, but by bigger and bigger profits.

The Republican promises sounded pretty good in 1946, but what has happened since then, since the 80th Congress took over? Prices have climbed to the highest level in history, although the death of the OPA was supposed to bring prices down through "the natural process of free competition". Labor has been handcuffed with the vicious Taft-Hartley law. Social Security benefits have been snatched away from almost a million workers by the Gearhart bill. Fair employment practices, which had worked so well during war time, have been abandoned. Veterans' pleas for low cost homes have been ignored, and many people are still living in made-over chicken coops and garages.

Tax-reduction bills have been passed to benefit the higher-income brackets alone. The average worker saved only $1.73 a week. In the false name of economy, millions of children have been deprived of milk once provided through the federal school lunch program. This was the payoff of the Republicans' promises. And this is why we must have new faces in the Congress of the United States: Democratic faces.

This is why we must not only elect President Truman, but also men like Mayor Hubert Humphrey of Minneapolis, the Democratic candidate for Senator from Minnesota. Mayor Humphrey at 37 is one of the ablest men in public life. He's running against Joe Ball, who was a member of the Senate Labor Committee, helped write the Taft-Hartley law. The Republicans don't want to lose Ball, and are spending a small fortune on his campaign. They've even sent [Thomas] Dewey and [Earl] Warren to Minneapolis to speak for him. President Truman knows the value of a man like Hubert Humphrey in the Senate, and he has been in Minneapolis too, campaigning against Joe Ball. Mayor Humphrey and Ball are the symbols of the political battle going on in America today. While Ball is a banner carrier for Wall Street, Mayor Humphrey is fighting for all the principles advocated by President Truman; for adequate low cost housing, for civil rights, for prices people can afford to pay, and for a labor movement freed of the Taft-Hartley law. I take great pride in presenting my friend from Minneapolis, Mayor Hubert H. Humphrey, candidate for United States Senator.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Yep, it's all fun and games while we can borrow and print money indefinitely.
Until we decide we want to balance the budget in the long term (running surpluses in prosperous times to offset deficits in recessions) we are going to keep coming up with these have your cake and eat it too "compromises."

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Im just wondering how Romney will be as the next president. Cause you know its coming.
Obama is about to create a forth reason not to vote for him in 2012.
(some may have more reasons to add to this list)

#1. No public option.
#2. No leadership on DADT.
#3. (need I mention) THE WARS!
#4. Bush Tax cuts for the very wealthy.

The fact is, everything Obama campaigned on, believed in, ran on, stood in front of millions speaking against, he has failed to follow through on. Or ended up so compromised that things actually got worse. The healthcare industry is still in full charge, and they are pissed. A public option would have given people another route to gain healthcare and the "industry" would have had no power to control that segment. But as we all know.. THAT never happened.

Anymore, I really don't know what Obama believes in. I don't think he even knows.
Or worse... doesn't care.
I can't quite imagine Obama campaigning for 2012 on what he "wished" he had done.
And that will be his path to a one term presidency.
Palin won't run, but I expect Romney will. And at this point in time, he would win.
I suppose Obama always has the option of running as a republican...

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001

You're right!!:eek:

Grab the money from the middle class and lower!!!

Why would/should the upper middle class and the rich folks have to pay for their leisure and good life?D:

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Clinton was president during the government shutdown, and Republicans got blamed for it.

Different situation. Shutting down the government over internal squabbling right after you get swept into office (in 1994) is dumb, you're going to get blamed for it. This situation now is different. People WILL blame the democrats when their taxes get jacked, and Obama knows it. He will cave.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
26% of Americans are in favor of the Republican position. Less than half of REPUBLICANS favor the Republican position.