Bush speaks on 5th anniversary of Iraq invasion

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Bush speaks on 5th anniversary of Iraq invasion. Anyone watch it?

Something I caught while listening:

Bush " Terrorist snipers"

Since when did terrorists have a sniper team? He also spoke of children's prisons with torture chambers. I want to see proof. But most of the time he was justifying the invasion and how it makes America safer. :roll:

Your thoughts?

Five years later, Bush says Iraq war must go on

(CNN) -- President Bush marked the fifth anniversary of the Iraq war on Wednesday by calling the debate over the conflict "understandable" but insisting that a continued U.S. presence there is crucial.

"The answers are clear to me," Bush said in a speech at the Pentagon on Wednesday, five years from the day the war began in 2003.

"Removing Saddam Hussein from power was the right decision, and this is a fight America can and must win."

Almost 4,000 American troops have died in the war, a painful toll that Bush acknowledged.

"No one would argue that this war has not come at a high cost in lives and treasure, but those costs are necessary when we consider the cost of a strategic victory for our enemies in Iraq," the president said.

Bush contends the so-called troop surge he ordered in January 2007 has been a success and was necessary at a point when "the fight in Iraq was faltering."

"The surge has done more than turn the situation in Iraq around; it has opened the door to a major strategic victory in the broader war on terror," he said.

How does he think we're safer?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
My only thoughts are that Bush is a moron and that Cheney's hand must smell like shit.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: bbdub333
Since when did terrorists have a sniper team? He also spoke of children's prisons with torture chambers. I want to see proof.

You dense?

Whats your point?

EDIT: Ohh I get it, Bush saying it is proof enough! Gotcha! :)

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: bbdub333
Since when did terrorists have a sniper team? He also spoke of children's prisons with torture chambers. I want to see proof.

You dense?

Whats your point?

EDIT: Ohh I get it, Bush saying it is proof enough! Gotcha! :)

What, you don't trust good old Dubya?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
It just a basic GWB endorsement of his original decision to occupy Iraq. Only the justifications have changed since WMD has lost all credibility.

So far, all we have from GWB is an admission that some mistakes have been made in the course of the Iraq occupation. As if anyone in the world is unjustly
and unfairly holding GWB&co. to some total perfection standard that is just not humanly attainable.

In my mind its totally a consistent GWB position. He was an idiot then and is an idiot now. He was supposed to know that any occupation carries a downside risk before he
started and has leaned not a damn thing from experience since.

Maybe someone else can have the charity to think that GWB gross blunders are forgivable. Those people have the right to speak out in this thread, but GWB is the last person on earth with the power to forgive himself. He can beseech it from others, but must also acknowledge the fact that others may think the results do not warrant his exoneration.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
After 5 years does anyone think ANOTHER 5 years will leave Iraq in better shape than it is now?
Another 10 years?
Another 100 years?

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
When told in an interview with ABC News that two-thirds of Americans said the war was not worth fighting, Mr. Cheney replied, ?So?? When pressed, he added, "I think you cannot be blown off course by the fluctuations in the public opinion polls."

Just goes to show you what the bush admin thinks of the people that voted them in. They don't care.... But isn't it obvious?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: piasabird
Well actually a while back CNN took a lot of heat for airing a sniper video. I guess you kind of forgot about that??

http://www.townhall.com/blog/g...4c2b-b9cc-f2770f212134

If you have snipers making videos, then someone trained them to do it, Duhh!!!!!

I watched a compilation video of "Al Juba" the name for Iraqi snipers where about 60 US soldiers lost their lives. These were not common insurgents. They were taking shots on moving vehicles some times which is rediculously hard.