6/20/97 and the bill was effective on 9/1/97. [Bill Text, HB 331; Bill
Actions, HB 331]

House Bill 331 Amended Election Code. House Bill 331, signed by Bush on
6/20/97, amended the Texas Election Code, among other things, to
authorize joint primaries, change the filing deadlines for write-in
candidates and amend the procedures governing tie votes, voter
registration, early voting, ballot recounts and the conduct of a local
canvass. [Summary of Enactments, 75th Legislature, HB 331]

Texas Rules Say Manual Recount Takes Precedence over Electronic Recount.
According to the Texas Secretary of State's website, "If requesting a
recount of electronic voting system ballots, specify manual or
electronic recount. If more than one petition is filed and more than
one method of counting is requested, a manual recount takes precedence
over an electronic recount. And an electronic recount using a corrected
program takes precedence over electronic recound using the same program
as the original count."

Texas Secretary of State Election Rules
Link

Kanly

Oct 23, 1999
Hypocricy?

Asking a Federal judge to intervene in a state process?

Challenging the Constitutionality of FL's process, the same process which is the preferred method for recounts in TX?

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< So what's your point?

>>

Your kidding right? Here I'll explain, the Bush campain is fileing an injuction at the federal level trying to stop any hand counts from happening in Broward County FL. because they claim they are innaccurate and suseptible to fruad and bias even though Bush has signed this law in regards to preference in ballot counting in texas.

SHUX

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Bullshux! I guess you cannot read....Hint... just read the first line...as it is stated and not as you wish it to be.

Any Politician has signed bills he did not totally agree with.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
>>Any Politician has signed bills he did not totally agree with. <<

Truly desperate spin on the facts,Tom. It doesn't wash. Bush is a total hypocrit.

Get over it.;)

Kanly

Oct 23, 1999
Don't mess with TX, but please do so with the rest of the country?

Don't do as I do but do as I hope a federal judge tells you to do?

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< I guess you cannot read....Hint... just read the first line...as it is stated and not as you wish it to be. >>

All three of those &quot;first lines&quot; indecate that &quot;manual counting&quot; is the prescribed preferance. What don't I understand?

SHUX

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
There have been many cases of Republican candidates asking for hand-counts in other elections.

The Republican hypocrosy machine is approaching high gear now, and it's hillarious...lol.

Kanly

Oct 23, 1999
Didn't Bush say something like he wanted what he did in TX to be a role model for the rest of the country?

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
&quot;If different counting methods are chosen under Section 214.042(a) among multiple requests for
a recount of electronic voting system results, only one method may be
used in the recount. A manual recount shall be conducted in preference
to an electronic recount and an electronic recount using a corrected
program shall be conducted in preference to an electronic recount using
the same program as the original count.&quot;

They said IF different counting methods are chosen.

There would need to be a reason to use a different method. The only reason to request a different method would be if the electronic recount program were defective. IF there was a problem with the program, no other or corrected program may be used. Then and only them may a manual recount take place.

I'm only using the information from the first post. The actual circumstances surrounding Bush signing it is unknown.

In Florida there is no defective program or any cause to doubt that the electronic recount was in error by any amount other than could be considered typical.

Using the logic put forth here, we would need to hand count EVERY BALLOT IN AMERICA! I for one am unprepared to let Clinton stay in ofice the 2 or more years this would take!

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< Using the logic put forth here, we would need to hand count EVERY BALLOT IN AMERICA! I for one am unprepared to let Clinton stay in ofice the 2 or more years this would take! >>

Not to immflammatory but tom pull your head out. :D The electio isn't over and the fact rewmains that a hand count is considered by most as the most effective and sure way to get an accurate vote. Obviously Gov. Bush did at one time agree with that notion, until it came to the possibility of it costing him an election. It is unfourtunete that this type of &quot;SPIN&quot; gets put out there. I am glad that DukeLeto found this and posted it, it brings this out in the open and hopefully some will ponder the implacations of it, others will simply say &quot;BAAAA&quot;.

SHUX

Kanly

Oct 23, 1999
Bush's FEDERAL lawsuit want the manual recount to stop.
They want to stick with the machine process.

Seems like there's 2 choices there.
Of those 2, the manual takes precedence.

MrChicken

Feb 18, 2000
I dont know all the details, but from what the Rep mouthpiece said, In TX they use a ballot that is marked and not punched.
The difference I could see is that for a ballot in TX to be changed, you would need a pencil.
The punch ballot &quot;appears&quot; that it could altered with a fingernail as you handle it, either accidnetally or intentionally.
I personally dont trust either side to handle the punch ballots, as it looks too easy to punch out a &quot;chad&quot;. The dems could punch out a chad for their side, if the ballot isnt voted, and the Reps could simply punch an extra chad to invalidate it.