Bush Seeks $2.1 Billion More for Iraqi Oil Industry

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
I thought the Iraqi oil industry was supposed to be paying US to fix up the mess we made in Iraq!?

WTF? Bush is asking for ANOTHER $2.1 BILLION to pay for the Iraqi oil industry! And half of it is going to BUY "petroleum products to ensure some reserve margin, so that the Iraqi people have a safe supply of oil if future disruptions of service occur." IN IRAQ! The nation with the third largest oil reserves on the planet!

Didn't ANYONE in the Bush administration plan for ANY of this? I guess this kind of shoots a few holes in the claims made here by some that everything is going just fine and according to plan over in Iraq.

Bush Seeks $2.1 Billion More for Iraqi Oil Industry
By NEELA BANERJEE

The Bush administration is calling for an additional $2.1 billion to repair the Iraqi oil industry, a sharp increase from previous estimates that underscores how the sabotage of pipelines and the electricity grid has throttled the flow of oil for export and into domestic refineries.

As late as last month, the United States-led civil authorities in Baghdad and the Iraqi oil ministry said that about $1.1 billion would be needed to make crucial repairs to the oil industry by March 2004. A spokesman for the White House's Office of Management and Budget, Trent Duffy, said that the request for an additional $2.1 billion came from the office of L. Paul Bremer III, the head of the civil administration in Iraq. The sum is part of a supplemental $87 billion budget the Bush administration is preparing to seek from Congress to support American troops in Iraq and to finance the country's reconstruction.

In a letter sent yesterday to the Office of Management and Budget, two Democratic congressmen, Henry A. Waxman of California and John D. Dingell of Michigan, called the request "a radical departure from the administration's prior estimates of the costs of oil field reconstruction." They added, "Moreover, it was apparently developed without consultation with the Army Corps of Engineers, the agency overseeing the oil field reconstruction."

A spokesman for the Corps of Engineers said that it had not been contacted by the administration to develop the new estimate, but it remains unclear whether Mr. Bremer's administration spoke to the Corps of Engineers staff in Iraq. The congressmen have asked the budget office for a detailed explanation of how the estimate was derived and a list of the projects involved.

Mr. Duffy said that the administration had not yet formally asked Congress for the $87 billion, and when it did some time in the next few weeks, it would provide the explanations sought by the congressmen.

The request for the additional money has highlighted how hard it has been for the occupying powers to halt the sabotage that chips away at the oil sector and limits its output. During the war, the administration, its British allies and many oil traders were convinced that Iraqi oil production would quickly resume and jump back to levels before the war.

Instead, saboteurs have repeatedly blown up crucial pipelines that export oil from the Kirkuk fields in the north to the Turkish Mediterranean port of Ceyhan, choking off the second of Iraq's two export routes. And repeated sabotage of the electricity grid periodically brings oil operations to a standstill.

As a result, Iraq exported only about 800,000 barrels a day in August, less than half of the approximately two million barrels a day it exported before the war. Moreover, the Iraqi oil industry often cannot produce enough for the domestic market because of sabotage. When refineries, in particular, are shut by power failures, it takes them about a week to come back online, which limits the production of gasoline, cooking gas and other fuels.

Of the $2.1 billion the administration plans to request, a little more than half would go to "repairs and security because of increased sabotage," Mr. Duffy said. A little less than half would go to buying "petroleum products to ensure some reserve margin, so that the Iraqi people have a safe supply of oil if future disruptions of service occur," he said.

Iraq, which has the third-largest oil reserves in the world, after Saudi Arabia and Canada, has been importing petroleum products since late May.

The Corps of Engineers has also spent more on oil reconstruction than it originally envisioned, largely because of the sabotage, said Scott Saunders, a spokesman. In early summer, the corps estimated that it would need to spend about $650 million on repairs to the Iraqi oil industry. But as of early September, it had already spent $948 million as part of a continuing contract with Halliburton. Aspects of this increase were reported yesterday by The Wall Street Journal.

The Corps of Engineers has spent much of the money to make the same repairs repeatedly. For example, a ruptured pipeline that the Americans fixed was blown up two days later, Mr. Saunders said. The corps is also paying much more than early in the summer to import petroleum products from other Middle Eastern countries into Iraq. Earlier, the corps spent about $3 million to import gasoline and cooking gas. But it must now import diesel fuel and kerosene as well to prepare for the winter heating season until Iraq can produce enough on its own.

Given the spotty security of the oil industry, when that might occur remains unclear, and the Corps of Engineers declined to estimate how much more it would have to spend as repairs continue on Iraq's oil facilities.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Given the spotty security of the oil industry, when that might occur remains unclear, and the Corps of Engineers declined to estimate how much more it would have to spend as repairs continue on Iraq's oil facilities.
So? Maybe they dont know the cost yet.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Tabb
So? Maybe they dont know the cost yet.

The point is we were told the cost of the invasion and occupation of Iraq would be paid for by Iraqi oil.

Now it seems as though we're going to pay several hundred billion dollars instead. Including several billion to fix the Iraqi oil industry part of which is being used to supply Iraq, the nation with the world's third largest oil reserves with..... OIL!

No planning. Just a rush into war, a speech on an aircraft carrier and a big screw up we get to pay for.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: BOBDN
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Hat Trick!!! :D

I was having a problem getting that to post. Then IE crashed. :confused:

PICNIC error? ;)

I do believe you people wanted to pin Bush/Admin down on a cost before the War. They didn't - You bitched. Now when they ask for funds - you bitch. Is there nothing you people don't bitch about?

CkG

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
The sum is part of a supplemental $87 billion budget the Bush administration is preparing to seek from Congress to support American troops in Iraq and to finance the country's reconstruction.
rolleye.gif

Also, they are exporting only 800 Million barrels per day not only because of damaged goods but because of demand. It is expected to get up to normal levels in less than a month.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

PICNIC error? ;)

I do believe you people wanted to pin Bush/Admin down on a cost before the War. They didn't - You bitched. Now when they ask for funds - you bitch. Is there nothing you people don't bitch about?

CkG

As usual CkG you miss the point. Yes people wanted to know what Iraq was going to cost. The Bush administration made rosy predictions based on nothing while many people warned them Iraq would wind up costing hundreds of billions of dollars.

Now Bush is asking for hundreds of billions of dollars and you expect everyone to just sit quiet!

Don't play dumb. And don't play the American people for dumb. You know why people are angry about the amount Iraq is costing all of us. The Bush administration lied about the price tag and now they have to ask for hundreds of billions of dollars while we face massive unemployment, service cuts and a HALF TRILLION DOLLAR DEFICIT this year as well as a higher deficit next year.

This is an all time world class f**k up by the Bush administration and you try to play mind games with people to cover for these imbeciles.

Unbelievable.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: XZeroII
The sum is part of a supplemental $87 billion budget the Bush administration is preparing to seek from Congress to support American troops in Iraq and to finance the country's reconstruction.
rolleye.gif

Also, they are exporting only 800 Million barrels per day not only because of damaged goods but because of demand. It is expected to get up to normal levels in less than a month.

Yeah, uh huh. I think you'd better check those numbers. Iraq is exporting less oil now than they did BEFORE the invasion.

Before invasion 2 million barrels/day.

Now 800,000 barrels/day.

That is a trickle in the world market and doesn't even pay for the cost of pumping and refining the oil.

Read the subject title and the piece accompanying it. WE ARE PAYING 2.1 BILLION DOLLARS NOW just to get the Iraqi oil industry running. And next year the prospects don't look any better because it seems Mr. "Bring it on" got just what he asked for. People are blowing up the Iraqi pipelines as fast as they can be repaired. The northern pipeline to Turkey was attacked a few days ago and will be out of commission for 5 WEEKS.

Please, you people are living in a dream world. Wake up and face reality.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
rolleye.gif

Yeah, uh huh. I think you'd better check those numbers. Iraq is exporting less oil now than they did BEFORE the invasion.

Now 800,000 barrels/day.

That is a trickle in the world market and doesn't even pay for the cost of pumping and refining the oil.

Read the subject title and the piece accompanying it. WE ARE PAYING 2.1 BILLION DOLLARS NOW just to get the Iraqi oil industry running. And next year the prospects don't look any better because it seems Mr. "Bring it on" got just what he asked for. People are blowing up the Iraqi pipelines as fast as they can be repaired. The northern pipeline to Turkey was attacked a few days ago and will be out of commission for 5 WEEKS.

What is the date of the article you posted? I looked at one about a week ago that said in another month production would be back to normal. You also ignored what I said about how the 2.1 billion is included in the 87b proposal. It's not separate.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
rolleye.gif

Now 800,000 barrels/day.

What is the date of the article you posted? I looked at one about a week ago that said in another month production would be back to normal. You also ignored what I said about how the 2.1 billion is included in the 87b proposal. It's not separate.

I read articles yesterday that said Iraq oil production in the north would be down for 5 weeks. I didn't ignore the $2.1 billion is included in the $87 billion. What's the difference? It's still $2.1 billion!

Just think, without that Bush would only be asking for $85 billion. :D :confused:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

PICNIC error? ;)

CkG

As usual CkG you miss the point. Yes people wanted to know what Iraq was going to cost. The Bush administration made rosy predictions based on nothing while many people warned them Iraq would wind up costing hundreds of billions of dollars.

Now Bush is asking for hundreds of billions of dollars and you expect everyone to just sit quiet!

Don't play dumb. And don't play the American people for dumb. You know why people are angry about the amount Iraq is costing all of us. The Bush administration lied about the price tag and now they have to ask for hundreds of billions of dollars while we face massive unemployment, service cuts and a HALF TRILLION DOLLAR DEFICIT this year as well as a higher deficit next year.

This is an all time world class f**k up by the Bush administration and you try to play mind games with people to cover for these imbeciles.

Unbelievable.

No - I haven't "missed the point". You have made your point very clear - you hate Bush. No matter what he does - you bitch and whine. Now if you wanted to have a serious discussion about why 2.1Billion was needed then fine - but you bring Bush into EVERYTHING. Now are you against the 2.1Billion to help the Iraqi's with their OIL production? or is this just another "I hate Bush" argument.

Everytime you go off on mini-rants - it weakens your argument. If you wish to dispute the 2.1Billion, then do so - but to post LIES like "The Bush administration lied about the price tag..." it just detracts from the debate. Your incessant spewing of "the sky is falling" economy rants also don't have a helping effect to your "cause".

One more time just incase you missed it.;) If you wish to dispute/discuss the 2.1Billion for the Iraqi Oil production - then do so. Keep the other shiz to the other threads.

Oh, and did you get that PICNIC situation fixed?;):p

CkG

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

PICNIC error? ;)

CkG

Unbelievable.

No - I haven't "missed the point". You have made your point very clear - you hate Bush. No matter what he does - you bitch and whine. Now if you wanted to have a serious discussion about why 2.1Billion was needed then fine - but you bring Bush into EVERYTHING. Now are you against the 2.1Billion to help the Iraqi's with their OIL production? or is this just another "I hate Bush" argument.

Everytime you go off on mini-rants - it weakens your argument. If you wish to dispute the 2.1Billion, then do so - but to post LIES like "The Bush administration lied about the price tag..." it just detracts from the debate. Your incessant spewing of "the sky is falling" economy rants also don't have a helping effect to your "cause".

One more time just incase you missed it.;) If you wish to dispute/discuss the 2.1Billion for the Iraqi Oil production - then do so. Keep the other shiz to the other threads.

CkG

One more time. If I read about the US spending billions in Iraq and I know the invasion was unnecessary then I comment on
those facts and it makes Bush look bad that's Bush's fault.

As for the PICNIC (I guess you're reffering to IE crashing) yes, it's fixed for now but not yet for good. IE crashes from time to time in Windows XP due to a known issue which is supposed to be fixed in SP2 if that is ever released.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

PICNIC error? ;)

CkG

Unbelievable.

CkG

One more time. If I read about the US spending billions in Iraq and I know the invasion was unnecessary then I comment on
those facts and it makes Bush look bad that's Bush's fault.

As for the PICNIC (I guess you're reffering to IE crashing) yes, it's fixed for now but not yet for good. IE crashes from time to time in Windows XP due to a known issue which is supposed to be fixed in SP2 if that is ever released.

So AGAIN, are you opposed to the 2.1Billion that will help the Iraqis with their Oil production?
You can't dodge the real issue here - that issue is wether or not to help with recontruction of their Oil production. It will take 2.1Billion according the Bush/Admin. Should we NOT do it? Should we fully fund it? Should we only Half do it? What is YOUR opinion of that? We all know you hate Bush, but do we not reconstruct their Oil production, just because you hate Bush and think the war was "unnecessary"?
YOU posted the topic but don't want to address the issue - you only seem to want to bash Bush.

CkG

ps-do you know what PICNIC is?;)

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
CkG

I'm not opposed to the $2.1 billion. It must be spent now that we've invaded Iraq and screwed everything up.

I'm opposed to the invasion. But now it's too late so I'm really pissed Bush raced into Iraq and now ALL the problems he was warned about repeatedly are happening. And we get to pay for the entire unnecessary mess.

Wonderful.

PS

I admit it. I don't know what "PICNIC" is. :(

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
CkG

I'm not opposed to the $2.1 billion. It must be spent now that we've invaded Iraq and screwed everything up.

I'm opposed to the invasion. But now it's too late so I'm really pissed Bush raced into Iraq and now ALL the problems he was warned about repeatedly are happening. And we get to pay for the entire unnecessary mess.

Wonderful.

PS

OK - so posting this was just another opportunity to blast Bush? I think we are all quite aware of where you stand on the issue of Bush and the WAR. My point is that you posted a topic yet "agree" with what it does - yet blast who is doing it.

PICNIC= Problem In Chair, Not In Computer ;):p

CkG

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
I agree with CkG somewhat... most of us with our heads not stuck up in our asses ;):p know that the war is utter and complete fvckup just like the Bush administration. But I think we should devote more energy discussing something more relevent.

There's are bazillion other things wrong with the country and around the world in general.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
CkG

Wonderful.

PS

OK - so posting this was just another opportunity to blast Bush? I think we are all quite aware of where you stand on the issue of Bush and the WAR. My point is that you posted a topic yet "agree" with what it does - yet blast who is doing it.

PICNIC= Problem In Chair, Not In Computer ;):p

CkG

No, I'm posting a thread about just one of the true costs associated with the invasion of Iraq. I don't agree with it but I've resigned myself to the fact that there is no other option now but for us to pay, and pay, and pay until we've paid hundreds of billions of dollars and our economy is seriously damaged. So, I don't agree with what it does. I'm not blasting Bush. I'm just posting my thoughts about an article I read and posting the article so others can read it and form opinions based on the FACTS in the article.

PICNIC - I'm the guy who fixes these 'puters not the problem. But I like the acronym. :)

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
[

I read articles yesterday that said Iraq oil production in the north would be down for 5 weeks. I didn't ignore the $2.1 billion is included in the $87 billion. What's the difference? It's still $2.1 billion!

Just think, without that Bush would only be asking for $85 billion. :D :confused:

Bush Seeks $2.1 Billion [/b]More[/b] for Iraqi Oil Industry. That keyword 'more' implies that it is not included. You also bolded 'additional 2.1 Billion' which also sends false impressions. If your whole strategy is to mislead people, then you are succeeding like a true democrat. No wait! You actually LIED about it. That's what you call it when this type of thing happens right?

BOBDN LIED about how much it would cost!