Bush releases leaked war report. He suggested that media accounts of the leak were meant to confuse Americans.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
CNN

? War in Iraq is a "cause celebre" for jihadists, according to report
? Report says attacks could increase if "jihadist movement" grows
? Report says combating jihadists requires more than killing their leaders

The leaks of this document were meant to confuse the American public?

WTFSpinach?!

What's so confusing about the report saying the IRAQ war is a cause for more terrorism, not less?

Why did Bush release the report which confirms the bad publicity of the media leaks?

Forsythe

Platinum Member
May 2, 2004
Originally posted by: JEDI
CNN

WTFSpinach?!

What's so confusing about the report saying the IRAQ war is a cause for more terrorism, not less?

Why did Bush release the report which confirms the bad publicity of the media leaks?

He realized that it would hurt him more if he tried to keep it secret.

Aug 1, 2006
Probably because it also says that if we win in Iraq (heh, like that's possible....) then the Jihadists would be hurt. Well duh. Yeah, that just changes my mind.... The Republicans screwed the pooch and are doing all they can to deflect, obfuscate and run. The Dems are finally punching back. Such as when Bill Clinton smacked the crap out of that moron on Fox.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Bush knows that many will not read the report, and simply accept his spin. Their reasoning will be "If it did not support his position, why would he release it?". These same people will then believe that the "liberals" are twisting its meaning.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
To correct a popular misconception, as evidenced by this thread, Bush has NOT released the full report. He has released four pages (out of an estimated thirty page report), and the four pages he released contain only conclusory summaries. What he released is basically irrelevant to the previous news stories. The FULL report (with items truely essential to national security redacted) should be released-if Bush was willing to have the citizens of this country honestly informed and able to make an intelligent decision on his war.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I don't think it caused confusion so much as an opportunity for those with already decided views (whichever side those might be on) to pick what they think is the salient point onf the memo and use that as an additional club to beat over the head of those who disagree with them.

I will concede the point that "the war in Iraq is a cause celebre for jihadists" if others will similarly concede that it is also self-evident that if the U.S. had not invaded Iraq, there would have been those who chose the jihadist path for other reasons. Obviously since jihadists existed before the invasion, I don't think this is too difficult a point to concede.

Now, that leads to the next logical questions, which I would like to see if people can give serious answers to and not simply a flippant partisan dismissal:

1. Did the invasion of Iraq cause more people to choose a jihadist path than would have absent the invasion?

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, then can we guesstimate how many more?

3. If achieved, did/do the stated military, strategic, and political objectives put forward for the invasion outweigh the downside of answering "yes" to #1?

4. If we had chosen to *not* invade Iraq, what would have been the positive and negative outcomes of this decision?

a. If you feel the negatives would outweigh the positives, do you feel the negative consequences of not invading would be more significant than the consequences of #1 being true?

b. If you feel the positives outweigh the negatives, please explain how you would achieve the goals which Mr. Bush described as his reasoning for invading (peace in the middle east, ensuring no WMD in Iraq, etc) or do you feel his objectives were not desireable to begin with?

5. Is the often mentioned "flypaper theory" (by creating an irresistable destination for jihadis in Iraq, this means they won't be attacking civilian targets in the U.S.) a valid option and does it make question 1 a moot point?

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa
Bush knows that many will not read the report, and simply accept his spin. Their reasoning will be "If it did not support his position, why would he release it?". These same people will then believe that the "liberals" are twisting its meaning.

Bingo. If he just keeps repeating over and over that everything is okay he knows his supporters will believe him.

eilute

Jun 1, 2005
We weren't in Iraq when we were attacked on September 11th. It is better to fight the enemy abroad then to fight them at home. ;)

Why did Iran, Iraq, Syria, and North Korea only become such hardened enemies after Bush took office?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Who knows what goes on in the mind of GWB&co? But once the existance of the report became common knowledge---you realease your sanitised version and hope for the best,
And by election time, everyone will have forgotten.

Right now in Bushville---its all about making sure nothing really damning comes out before the election. If Bush can survive the mid-term elections with with out losing either wind of congress---he is home free.---if GWB fails---it will be a long two years.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

You must have missed the line which says winning in Iraq will deal a major blow to terror.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: eilute
Why did Iran, Iraq, Syria, and North Korea only become such hardened enemies after Bush took office?

Er, no.

Those countries have all been enemies of America for years, long before GWB came to office.

I'm constantly amazed by those who try to tell us that the whole world just loved us before GWB came in to office. Nothing could be further from the truth. Time to hit the history books.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster

You must have missed the line which says winning in Iraq will deal a major blow to terror.

We'd have to ask whoever wrote the report what exactly they meant, but I think you're missing a crucial piece here. One conclusion in the report is that defeating the terrorists in Iraq will decrease the overall amount of terrorist attacks. The OTHER main conclusion is that invading Iraq has created more terrorists. This isn't confusing or contradictory, both points are parts of the same story. And the story goes like this, conclusion one is based on the situation we're facing today...conclusion two says WHY we are facing that situation today. In other words, there are terrorists we can defeat in Iraq BECAUSE we invaded...the "major blow" might not have been necessary if we hadn't done such a great job of turning Iraq into a terrorist magnet in the first place.

But the report summary leaves out a crucial bit of information, the key to this whole thing...how likely is it that we can win in Iraq? Winning in Iraq is certainly better than losing (duh), but there seems to be no good information about how likely it is we can pull such a victory off. There is a LOT of general ranting from the pro-war folks about the anti-war folks, but there is virtually no noise from them about how the other factors are playing out. Obviously anti-war sentiment isn't good for a war effort, but that sentiment doesn't exist by itself, it is almost always as as response to how the war is actually progressing...and THAT is something the pro-war folks seem strangely silent about. Other than vague comments about "staying the course", nobody on the pro-war side, from President Bush on down, seems all that confident that we can actually win. Or if they are, they are keeping their reasoning to themselves. We know that many things were bungled from the start of the invasion, but are things REALLY being run any better now?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Rainsford
We'd have to ask whoever wrote the report what exactly they meant, but I think you're missing a crucial piece here. One conclusion in the report is that defeating the terrorists in Iraq will decrease the overall amount of terrorist attacks. The OTHER main conclusion is that invading Iraq has created more terrorists. This isn't confusing or contradictory, both points are parts of the same story. And the story goes like this, conclusion one is based on the situation we're facing today...conclusion two says WHY we are facing that situation today. In other words, there are terrorists we can defeat in Iraq BECAUSE we invaded...the "major blow" might not have been necessary if we hadn't done such a great job of turning Iraq into a terrorist magnet in the first place.

Nonsense. Iraq is the central front on the war on terror now, but it could just as easily have been Syria or Afghanistan or even Iran.

But the report summary leaves out a crucial bit of information, the key to this whole thing...how likely is it that we can win in Iraq? Winning in Iraq is certainly better than losing (duh), but there seems to be no good information about how likely it is we can pull such a victory off.

First you've got to define "win" and there's endless debate about that.

There is a LOT of general ranting from the pro-war folks about the anti-war folks, but there is virtually no noise from them about how the other factors are playing out. Obviously anti-war sentiment isn't good for a war effort, but that sentiment doesn't exist by itself, it is almost always as as response to how the war is actually progressing...and THAT is something the pro-war folks seem strangely silent about. Other than vague comments about "staying the course", nobody on the pro-war side, from President Bush on down, seems all that confident that we can actually win. Or if they are, they are keeping their reasoning to themselves. We know that many things were bungled from the start of the invasion, but are things REALLY being run any better now?

Well, I'm not surprised there is a lot of ranting. Reading through the usual responses from the usual characters could be fairly depressing for someone(s) actually trying to win a war.

B

Blackjack2000

Originally posted by: glenn1
I don't think it caused confusion so much as an opportunity for those with already decided views (whichever side those might be on) to pick what they think is the salient point onf the memo and use that as an additional club to beat over the head of those who disagree with them.

I will concede the point that "the war in Iraq is a cause celebre for jihadists" if others will similarly concede that it is also self-evident that if the U.S. had not invaded Iraq, there would have been those who chose the jihadist path for other reasons. Obviously since jihadists existed before the invasion, I don't think this is too difficult a point to concede.

Now, that leads to the next logical questions, which I would like to see if people can give serious answers to and not simply a flippant partisan dismissal:

1. Did the invasion of Iraq cause more people to choose a jihadist path than would have absent the invasion?

3. If achieved, did/do the stated military, strategic, and political objectives put forward for the invasion outweigh the downside of answering "yes" to #1?

4. If we had chosen to *not* invade Iraq, what would have been the positive and negative outcomes of this decision?

a. If you feel the negatives would outweigh the positives, do you feel the negative consequences of not invading would be more significant than the consequences of #1 being true?

b. If you feel the positives outweigh the negatives, please explain how you would achieve the goals which Mr. Bush described as his reasoning for invading (peace in the middle east, ensuring no WMD in Iraq, etc) or do you feel his objectives were not desireable to begin with?

5. Is the often mentioned "flypaper theory" (by creating an irresistable destination for jihadis in Iraq, this means they won't be attacking civilian targets in the U.S.) a valid option and does it make question 1 a moot point?

What the heck, I'm having trouble sleeping

Questions #1 and #2 are not legitamite questions because we do not agree on what causes people to choose a jihadist path. If you contend that people choose a jihadist path because they hate our freedom and our way of life, then the answer must be 'no' because our freedom and way of life remain unchanged (barring our loss of liberties from the patriot bill, which were minor when compared to global standards). If, however, you contend that people choose a jihadist path because of American presence in Saudi Arabia, aggression in the Middle East to protect oil interests, and support of Israili hegemony, then the answer must be 'yes' because all of these things have increased markedly (excepting the first) since the invasion. As for the 'guesstimation', the increase would be huge. In fact, the violence that is going on in the Middle East right now probably means that an average middle eastern arab is about as predisposed to terrorism as he possibly can be right now.

#3 is impossible to answer without knowing what the stated objectives are. I didn't see any in the link, but I'll assume you're talking about the stabilization of Iraq as a U.S. client state. The benefit to us is increased control over the world's oil supply. We have already lost more men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan than we did in the WTC (so say nothing of the massive loss of life in those countries) so in terms of humanity I don't see how the answer could be anything other than no. If you want to balance the economic advantage of the control of the oil against the loss of life, I don't think I can quantify that.

#4 You need a fortune teller to answer this question, but this much is virtually indisputable
* There would be more than 50,000 people alive that are now dead
* We would have $318,000,000,000 more in the treasury (or, more accurately, less debt)
* The world would be in no greater danger of attack from weapons of mass distruction
* Saddam Hussain would still be in power

#5 Often mentioned it may be, but I have never heard this common attitude articulated as the "flypaper" theory. But to answer the question, lets step back and examine the threat. Before 9/11; the last time civilian targets in the U.S. were attacked by a foreign entity was the war of 1812 (Hawaii was a colony of the U.S. and the attack on Perl Harbor hit military targets). 9/11 involved Saudis, Egyptians, and Lebanese. There where no Iraqis or Afghans on either plane, and the mastermind was Mohammed Atta, an Egyptian. The attack required massive planning to hit an extremely high profile target. If there is no connection between the 9/11 attackers and Iraq, and there is only a tenuous connection between the 9/11 attackers and Afghanistan (Al-Qada is highly fragmented and decentralized)

So I don't see believe this war has reduced our vulnerability to a 9/11 attack at all. Of course, that is pure conjecture, and is not provable either way.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
CNN

WTFSpinach?!

You are aware of the "good news, bad news routine"? Did Bush release the good or bad part of the report? And if this the good news part of the report, just how "BAD" is the bad news part?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: WHAMPOM
CNN

WTFSpinach?!

You are aware of the "good news, bad news routine"? Did Bush release the good or bad part of the report? And if this the good news part of the report, just how "BAD" is the bad news part?
The"bad" part was already leaked and reported in the New York Times. Or did you miss that story?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: glenn1

OK: Just one consequence. If we had not invaded Iraq; Record low oil company profits due to low oil prices, Saddom's black market oil deals having depressed the market.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: WHAMPOM
CNN

WTFSpinach?!

The"bad" part was already leaked and reported in the New York Times. Or did you miss that story?

Until the entire, unedited report is released, no one will know. Releasing four pages of a thirty? page report just doesn't cut it. I want to read the whole thing.

bobdelt

May 26, 2006
He released the report because it proves Iraq is a mess and we need to keep our troops there longer. This report makes ever liberal who wants to withdrawal immediatly look stupid.

It doesnt take an expert to realize terrorism in Iraq went up, all you have to do it watch the news for that. This report shouldnt suprise anyone. But didnt the report also so that the day to day risk of a terrorist attack to the US has decreased?

Also keep in mind that the people who released this report, is the same people who produced the intelligence that Iraq had WMDs.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Nonsense. Iraq is the central front on the war on terror now, but it could just as easily have been Syria or Afghanistan or even Iran.
Afghanistan wopuld have been the perfect place since that's where the attacks on us originated from.

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005

Read what he said. Iraq became the central front after we invaded it. Iraq had no WMDs, no ties with Al-Queda, and was not even a remote threat to the U.S before we invaded.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
BTW, GWB should be the last person on Earth to complain about someone "creating confusion in the minds of the American people".

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

And if your aunt had a dick, she'd be your uncle.

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005

I think Pabster just confirmed his hard-lined conservative stance right here. I dont think anything will ever make you change your mind Pabster. Why do you even post on these boards if you aren't open to any logical discussions? Because you are not and the statement you just made right there shows your narrow thinking.

Let me ask you something: If some country invaded the U.S and occupied it, wouldn't that piss you off? This is exactly what we are doing in Iraq. Iraq does NOT see us as liberators, they see us as an occupying force. And before you tell me otherwise, look at history, every single invading force in ANY conflict EVER has been seen as the 'enemy' regardless of their intentions.

The British tried to invade us during the revolutionary war and get us to be just like them, and what did we do? We fought them off because 'who the hell is going to tell us how to live'. The Iraqis feel the same exact way. I am sorry that you don't see that.