• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Bush Quotes on Need for Kosovo Exit Strategy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
For those of you who forgot, the world changed on 9-11.
No, it didn't. That's just the phrase people use to try and justify stupid ideas that can't stand up on their own merits. Despite lacking any sense or logic, people wave that phrase around like a magic wand. What Iraq had to do with 9/11 will apparently remain a mystery, but damn it all if "the world change on 9/11" isn't used over and over to justify what was a stupid idea carried out in a remarkably stupid manner.

But you know what, maybe the rest of us can take advantage of this rhetorical power. Next time I forget and turn my rent in late, instead of apologizing for forgetting, I can just respond that "the world changed on 9/11". And when asked why I support gay marriage, I can say that once it was a taboo idea, but "the world changed on 9/11". And instead of paying that photo ticket I got for speeding in DC, I can just mail them a letter stating that I had to drive fast because "the world changed on 9/11". Such is the power of that phrase that it works in any situation, as an explanation for anything, even if it makes no sense at all. Of course the downside is that I'd sound so pathetically submissive that anybody with a lick of common sense would want to punch me in the face, but that's the price you pay for being able to argue without having to actually THINK.

Seriously, I realize that you are probably NOT an idiot, but you really do seem to go out of your way to try and SOUND like one.
QFB (Quoted For Brilliance)

ASK THE COMMUNITY