Bush pushing for couples to get married??

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
With the divorce rate at 50%, I don't think you should be pushing anyone into marriage
rolleye.gif

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=18974&section=NEWS&year=2003&month=1&day=3

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: her209
There's lots of reasons to get married. For example, sex. :p

You can have that w/o marriage...not that I condone that :)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
hes been harping on that for at least 5 years.

the marriage penalty for taxes isn't nice though.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NFS4
With the divorce rate at 50%, I don't think you should be pushing anyone into marriage
rolleye.gif

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=18974§ion=NEWS&year=2003&month=1&day=3

"Marriage Coalition director Sandra Bender described her group as "a nonprofit organization of inter-religious clergy, mental-health professionals and individuals dedicated to reducing the divorce rate and birth to unmarried parents through education." "

Perhaps I'm old fashioned by I still think that a father and a mother are the best way to raise children. I don't think that encouraging young single women to have children is a good thing. If this program helps to reduce the divorce rate or the rate of single women having children and then expecting the government to take care of them, then it's an idea worth trying.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Marriage is good and I'm enjoying it, but too many people who shouldn't be married are getting married. Why not address this problem instead of encouraging more marriages.

I still like the idea of marriage and marriage-lite. The former is much harder to get out of, but you get tax credit for it. The later gets you nothing, but it's easy to get out of.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: etech
rolleye.gif

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=18974§ion=NEWS&year=2003&month=1&day=3

"Marriage Coalition director Sandra Bender described her group as "a nonprofit organization of inter-religious clergy, mental-health professionals and individuals dedicated to reducing the divorce rate and birth to unmarried parents through education." "

Perhaps I'm old fashioned by I still think that a father and a mother are the best way to raise children. I don't think that encouraging young single women to have children is a good thing. If this program helps to reduce the divorce rate or the rate of single women having children and then expecting the government to take care of them, then it's an idea worth trying.

1) I'm not saying that we should be encouraging young people to have children
2) If the "baby's daddy" is deadbeat low life scum, I wouldn't want his ass anywhere near a kid

Anyway, I'm just saying that the government really has no business pushing marriage on anyone. What's next, a government program that promotes divorce for couple having problems b/c "staying together for the children" never works for either party?

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BDawg
Marriage is good and I'm enjoying it, but too many people who shouldn't be married are getting married. Why not address this problem instead of encouraging more marriages.

I still like the idea of marriage and marriage-lite. The former is much harder to get out of, but you get tax credit for it. The later gets you nothing, but it's easy to get out of.

How would you suggest the government address the question of a high divorce rate?

The problem of young unmarried single mothers can to at least some extent be blamed on government programs that made it easier for unmarried women to survive. The government now cannot simply yank those programs away for many reasons, but they can address the problem that those programs have helped create.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'll give my support for this the day same sex marriages are legally recognized in a majority of the states.

Until then....

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
2) If the "baby's daddy" is deadbeat low life scum, I wouldn't want his ass anywhere near a kid

If the baby's daddy is deadbeat low life scum then momma should have kept her legs closed.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

If the baby's daddy is deadbeat low life scum then momma should have kept her legs closed.

Shoulda, coulda, didn'ta. This is the real world, not Bob Jones University.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

And it's the government's duty to tell momma to keep her legs closed? I think not.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Exactly, this is the real world and there should be real consequences for making mistakes.

One of those I support is going after the deadbeat fathers and making them pay child support until the kid is 18. You wanta play, then you gonna pay.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: BDawg

How would you suggest the government address the question of a high divorce rate?

I mentioned one idea above.

The problem of young unmarried single mothers can to at least some extent be blamed on government programs that made it easier for unmarried women to survive. The government now cannot simply yank those programs away for many reasons, but they can address the problem that those programs have helped create.

I long for the day that a woman who's husband beats the crap out of her and the kid can't leave because she wouldn't be able to support herself. </sarcasm>

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

Exactly, this is the real world and there should be real consequences for making mistakes.

One of those I support is going after the deadbeat fathers and making them pay child support until the kid is 18. You wanta play, then you gonna pay.

I agree 100%. Deadbeat dads should be monitored like sex offenders (figure of speach) so they don't miss a payment.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

And it's the government's duty to tell momma to keep her legs closed? I think not.

Do you expect the government to pay for the mother to have a place to live, pre child care, child care and food stamps and wica and all of the other government programs?

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

Do you expect the government to pay for the mother to have a place to live, pre child care, child care and food stamps and wica and all of the other government programs?

Do you expect the government to let innocent children starve? If the ideal situation is growing up with a mommy and daddy, growing up with at least one is better than Boy's Town.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

So instead of having a deadbeat dad that lives far away and pays child support, you're for a deadbeat dad that marries his baby's momma and makes their life a living hell b/c the government says so?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

So you'd rather send her off to be married to the baby's daddy even though that may not be the best course of action? There should be programs in place to empower these women, not force them into marriage.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why is she getting pregnant if she does not wish to marry the guy in the first place?

Birth control is not a big mystery any more.

Yes, there are hypotheticals you can throw out all night. The basic premise is that a couple should get married and be financially stable before committing to having children. Do you disagree with that?

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Why is she getting pregnant if she does not wish to marry the guy in the first place?

Birth control is not a big mystery any more.

Yes, there are hypotheticals you can throw out all night. The basic premise is that a couple should get married and be financially stable before committing to having children. Do you disagree with that?

Doesn't matter why she's getting pregnant if she already is. Hypothesizing does nothing to address the fact that there is a kid.

Couples should be financially stable, but there's no reason they should have to be legally married to have a child. IMHO, it's preferable, but not everyone lives like I do, nor would I want them to.

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
I think that a part of belonging to a society means that help should be given to those in need. I am not talking about someone abusing the system, but I am talking about giving help to those that need it. I think the government can provide a lot of tools to unmarried women who are having a child. I think the father shold play a role in the process too. I wonder why people want to throw other people away. Like their life doesn't mean a thing. The fathers and mothers that play should realize that their actions have consequiences, but I also think that the child should be given every opertunity. Perhaps if more of these children were given a sense of worth their lives would have a different and better meaning than to go out and get pregnant. I don't think it is the federal governments role to tell people who they are and what they can do with their lives, but there needs to be smething in the community, from the community itself to illistrate, instruct and inform people from a very young age what good decisions are and what poor decisions are.

Sorry I lost my train of thought.

Will

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: etechYes, there are hypotheticals you can throw out all night. The basic premise is that a couple should get married and be financially stable before committing to having children. Do you disagree with that?

While I agree that being married and financially stable would be "ideal" it is NOT "THE" answer or course of action for everyone. And the government has no business taking it down that road.

My parents got married at 24 and had me at 30. Sure that might be the "IDEAL" situation, but that's not the ONLY way.

It's really none of your business or the government's business. Not every woman that gets pregnant (and is single) mooches off of the government.