Bush pardons moonshining 'Deliverance' actor

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but this seems like an odd choice for pardons. And also, isn't this Bush's first pardon? Weird.

Bush pardons moonshining 'Deliverance' actor

By Robert Yoon
CNN Washington Bureau
Friday, August 18, 2006; Posted: 5:08 p.m. EDT (21:08 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- By granting absolution to a convicted moonshiner, George W. Bush also earned the unique distinction of becoming the first president to pardon a cast member of the 1972 Academy Award-nominated movie "Deliverance."

Randall Leece Deal of Clayton, Georgia, had a small role in the film about four Atlanta businessmen who have unpleasant encounters with locals during a north Georgia canoe trip.

For the last 16 years, Deal, 66, has worked at the Rabun County Sheriff's Department, a far cry from his life in the early 1960s when he was convicted on two counts of violating liquor laws and one count of conspiring to violate liquor laws.

The crimes are commonly known as moonshining and Deal still disputes the conspiracy charge.

"That really wasn't true," he said. "But anyway, that's what they charged us with."

Deal never served any jail time for the convictions, but the black mark on his record rankled him enough to seek a presidential pardon more than 40 years later. "I just got to thinking about it, you know. Just to get her wiped out if possible," he said.

Deal hired a local attorney and "just filled out the papers and sent it in to the White House, or wherever you send them to, a good long time ago."

Deal's "Deliverance" performance consisted of a single line: "It ain't nothing but the biggest [expletive] river in the state!" For the record, Deal did not play one of the surly locals involved in an infamous rape scene with actor Ned Beatty.

The film also starred Burt Reynolds, Jon Voight and Ronny Cox.

Moonshining was a common practice in the South in the 1960s, Deal said. He also pointed out that he was not in it for the money, but was more interested in the fun and comaraderie of the enterprise.

"I was just helping some friends back then," he said. "It was really just more like a game than anything, to be honest with you. It wasn't a big business deal, fiddling with moonshine. At least to me it wasn't."

[...]

Linkage

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
First pardon? :roll: Bush has issued dozens of pardons for similarly old, non-violent offenses, the only thing that makes this one remotely special is the guy had a bit part in a movie 30+ years ago. Big deal.

69 as of December last year

Viper GTS

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Nah, its not his first pardon

Text

They're only really publicized when they're questionable and corrupt like Mark Rich, Roger Clinton, and his brother in law's paid off clientele.

Jun 27, 2005
Randall Leece Deal of Clayton, Georgia, had a small role in the film about four Atlanta businessmen who have unpleasant encounters with locals during a north Georgia canoe trip.

If that isn't the understatement of the century...

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
This is something that Bush doesn't deserve any flap over....at least for the moment. Let's wait and see what happens when Scooter and some other "friends" are in need.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Random Foxworthy quote..

"...because if Ned Beatty can't make it down the river, a Frenchman in a pair of bicycle shorts ain't gotta chance!"

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: zendari
Nah, its not his first pardon

Text

They're only really publicized when they're questionable and corrupt like Mark Rich, Roger Clinton, and his brother in law's paid off clientele.
So following your example Caspar Weinberger and Robert McFarlane too. okay I get it now.