Bush orders officials to stop the leaks (News of Bush's order leaked almost immediately.)

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Here's an article from the Philadelphia Inquirer:
Bush orders officials to stop the leaks
He warned of action if anonymous sources were quoted, a senior aide said. Visiting senators also heard a stern line.

By Joseph L. Galloway and James Kuhnhenn
Inquirer Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - Concerned about the appearance of disarray and feuding within his administration as well as growing resistance to his policies in Iraq, President Bush - living up to his recent declaration that he is in charge - told his top officials to "stop the leaks" to the media, or else.

News of Bush's order leaked almost immediately.

Bush told his senior aides Tuesday that he "didn't want to see any stories" quoting unnamed administration officials in the media anymore, and that if he did, there would be consequences, said a senior administration official who asked that his name not be used.

An escalating turf war involving Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, national security adviser Condoleezza Rice, and Secretary of State Colin L. Powell has generated an unusually bountiful crop of leaks in recent months, and one result is a criminal investigation of anonymous officials in the White House who are alleged to have leaked the name of a CIA covert officer.

The infighting, backstabbing and maneuvering on such major foreign-policy issues as North Korea, Syria, Iran and postwar Iraq have escalated to a level that veterans of government say they have not seen in years. At one point, the senior official said, Bush himself asked how bad it was.

"This isn't as bad as [George] Shultz vs. [Caspar] Weinberger, is it?" he asked, referring to a legendary Reagan administration rivalry between secretaries of state and defense. One top official reportedly nodded and said it was "way worse."

The infighting has strained Bush's patience.

On Monday, reacting to reports of internal conflict among his top advisers, the President told one regional broadcaster: "The person who's in charge is me."

Bush's attempt to assert himself extends beyond the executive branch. Late Tuesday, in a brief, brusque arm-twisting session with nine senators, the President made it clear that he was not there to answer questions or debate the merits of his $87 billion Iraq and Afghanistan aid package. He demanded that the aid to Iraq be in the form of grants, not loans, as some of the senators have urged.

Present at the session in the Roosevelt Room of the White House were Republicans Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania; Olympia J. Snowe and Susan Collins, both of Maine; Saxby Chambliss of Georgia; Sam Brownback of Kansas; Lindsey Graham of South Carolina; and John McCain of Arizona. Democrats Maria Cantwell of Washington and Mary L. Landrieu of Louisiana also attended.

At one point, as he discussed the question of providing some of the money as a loan, Bush slammed his hand down on the table and said: "This is bad policy."

When Collins tried to ask a question, the President replied: "I'm not here to debate it."

One participant told The Inquirer that some of the senators, particularly those who have never been on the opposing side of an issue with Bush, were "surprised by his directness." It was clear he was not there to engage in any give-and-take, the participant said.

Nevertheless, Bush failed to sway any of the pro-loan Republicans.

That failure was in sharp contrast to the President's lobbying of House members last week. Zach Wamp, a Tennessee Republican who had pushed a loan plan, backed away after meeting with Bush. "If his eyes had been lasers, mine would have burned out," Wamp said then.

"What's most revealing is the extent of frustration taking hold," said historian Robert Dallek of Boston University, a biographer of Presidents Lyndon B. Johnson and John F. Kennedy. "It's really reminiscent of Johnson and Vietnam. Members of the Senate... and the media were giving him grief. It sounds like Bush is falling into that pattern. He's blaming the media, much like Johnson did."

Yesterday, Bush sent Vice President Cheney and Powell to the Capitol to attend a Republican senatorial lunch, but they made no apparent converts. After the lunch, a dozen GOP senators were still discussing how the reconstruction money could be turned into a loan or partial loan.

Snowe said of Powell and Cheney: "They're very strong in their beliefs. And the President has come out strongly. Obviously we have a fundamental difference on the issue."

Brownback said: "I think we ought to have the Iraqis have some skin in the game with some loans. I don't know if they're going to be able to repay it. But if it's all a grant, we know it won't get repaid."
Sounds like things may be getting a little toasty around the White House. Is this the same Bush who was a unificator, not a dividerer?

Given the way he's divided this country and the world, it shouldn't come as a surprise he can't even unite his own administration. I also question the wisdom of trying to strong-arm the Senate. While the House tends to be pretty meek, the Senate has a long and fierce tradition of not being the President's lapdog. With luck, this will backfire on him.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Who needs a message and a strategy when you can rely on luck, eh Bowfinger?

Yes, good luck, you're party is going to need it, LOL.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Corn
Who needs a message and a strategy when you can rely on luck, eh Bowfinger?

Yes, good luck, you're party is going to need it, LOL.
Lame ...

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
WOW, Bow stumbles back in swinging wildly with a few supposedly "damning" pieces.

Well, just an FYI - this one misses the boat too.

CkG

... and lamer.

Grow up, boys. Like it or not, Bush's deceipt and incompetence are coming back to haunt him. He may skate through it, he may not. Either way, it is relevant and newsworthy to get a glimpse of what's going on in D.C.

If there's something in the article you want to address, speak up. Otherwise, crawl back under your bridges, trolls.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
WOW, Bow stumbles back in swinging wildly with a few supposedly "damning" pieces.

CkG

... and lamer.

Grow up, boys. Like it or not, Bush's deceipt and incompetence are coming back to haunt him. He may skate through it, he may not. Either way, it is relevant and newsworthy to get a glimpse of what's going on in D.C.

If there's something in the article you want to address, speak up. Otherwise, crawl back under your bridges, trolls.

Trolls? You want to talk about trolls? Buahahaha

An unnamed senior Anandtech official was quoted as saying that "anyone who disagrees with Bowfinger is a Troll"
rolleye.gif
See how that works? Cripes I swear some of you live for conspiracy.

CkG

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Bush told his senior aides Tuesday that he "didn't want to see any stories" quoting unnamed administration officials in the media anymore, and that if he did, there would be consequences, said a senior administration official who asked that his name not be used.

comment #1 - Is that 'serious' consequences? ;)

comment #2 - I wish he sounded this confident about finding the 'Wilson' leaker.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Wow, I must really be slow tonight. I just reread the quoted statement in my post. Now that's funny! ;)

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
LOL @ the title of OP. Order to stop leaking is leaked immediately. Heh. :D It doesn't get any better than this... What a crazy, mixed-up administration this is. Up is down, good is evil, right is wrong, don't leak means leak. Freaky.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Oh-oh Bow, Cad's got a new one: You missed the boat. Your ferry driver passed out and you crashed into the dock. I guess it beats the old dart missing routine...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Oh-oh Bow, Cad's got a new one: You missed the boat. Your ferry driver passed out and you crashed into the dock. I guess it beats the old dart missing routine...

Oh I've got more :D Just holding them back for when they work out real well with the topic/post.

CkG

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

Oh I've got more :D Just holding them back for when they work out real well with the topic/post.

CkG

Some of them are pretty good CAD. Not all of them, but some. Just be careful, wouldn't want anybody accusing you of being childish. ;)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Gaard

CkG

Some of them are pretty good CAD. Not all of them, but some. Just be careful, wouldn't want anybody accusing you of being childish. ;)

They only come out on special occasions :D Bowfinger's blustery entrance tonight was more than deserving of a classic one:)

CkG

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Gaard
They only come out on special occasions :D Bowfinger's blustery entrance tonight was more than deserving of a classic one:)
So when do we see it?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

CkG

... and lamer.

An unnamed senior Anandtech official was quoted as saying that "anyone who disagrees with Bowfinger is a Troll"
rolleye.gif

CkG
Perhaps "troll" is the wrong word. "Complete waste of bandwidth" might be more accurate. You've posted four times in this thread -- 25% of the messages at the moment -- yet not one of your posts has anything to do with the article I posted. Just the ususal tripe.

You obviously disagree with the article. For the sake of argument, let's pretend it isn't just because you automatically reject anything that makes Bush-lite look bad. What is your issue with the article? Is it factually wrong? Is it true but insignificant? Do you disagree that it's a bad idea to try to strong-arm the Senate? (Note for the record, they just passed their own version of Iraq reconstruction funding, in a "stinging defeat for the White House" according to the Today show.)

If you don't like being called a troll, put a little content in your posts. Share your insight into this article and what you feel is happening in D.C. Either that, or stop wasting electrons.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

... and lamer.

rolleye.gif

CkG
Perhaps "troll" is the wrong word. "Complete waste of bandwidth" might be more accurate. You've posted four times in this thread -- 25% of the messages at the moment -- yet not one of your posts has anything to do with the article I posted. Just the ususal tripe.

You obviously disagree with the article. For the sake of argument, let's pretend it isn't just because you automatically reject anything that makes Bush-lite look bad. What is your issue with the article? Is it factually wrong? Is it true but insignificant? Do you disagree that it's a bad idea to try to strong-arm the Senate? (Note for the record, they just passed their own version of Iraq reconstruction funding, in a "stinging defeat for the White House" according to the Today show.)

If you don't like being called a troll, put a little content in your posts. Share your insight into this article and what you feel is happening in D.C. Either that, or stop wasting electrons.

Ah yes, Mr. corrupt forum cop
rolleye.gif

I see you are pulling out the "don't post in my thread" BS again. I see none of your posts here have any content except your first one which is short on content but very long on inuendos, speculation, and conspiracy.

The "news" is a joke - "unnamed" means, well- we got somebody who hinted at something but we can change it and prune it to fit with our message. Do you understand yet? It is quite funny that you guys cling to these sorts of "news" storied when the press has repeatedly shown it won't name names.
Pssst...I heard from an unnamed Anandtech memeber that Bowfinger is a Troll. Must be true...it came from an unnnamed source.:D

Do you not understand the fact that there is always conflict when a group of people are brought together? If anything this is just normal friction that some "unnamed official" is taking out of context and probably doesn't know the whole story. Maybe Bush did hand down the order for no more leaks - then I guess this leaker didn't follow instructions and should be called what he/she is - a traitor.:)

CkG

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Bow

Just as the Bush White House is in total disarray their supporters are in total disarray as well.

They can't resolve the cognitive dissidence created by the Bush administration's continued inability to create a working foreign or domestic policy because their entire administration is based on a lie. They have an agenda which they kept hidden from everyone outside their small circle of radical zealots and now even those inside the administration can't keep it a secret any longer.

Watching the Bush administration crumble is even more enjoyable than watching that fat lying Limpbaugh come crashing down to earth.

And listening to the rants and excuses of their supporters is a close second.

They can't admit to themselves the truth. Their "honor and dignity" poster boy is a liar, thief and hypocrite. His administration is filled with the same.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

rolleye.gif

CkG

Ah yes, Mr. corrupt forum cop
rolleye.gif

I see you are pulling out the "don't post in my thread" BS again.
Bite me you flaming moron.^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h

Oops, Freudian slip there. I meant to say:

Sorry, Sir Caddy, but with all due respect, you are simply, factually mistaken. As you can see from the sections I highlighted above, I invited you to post in this thread at least three times. You are a bit disingenuous when you suggest otherwise. I am sure this was an honest mistake, and now that I've extended the welcome mat again, you will enlighten us all with your non-partisan wisdom and great insight into the matters presented in this article.

I see none of your posts here have any content except your first one which is short on content but very long on inuendos, speculation, and conspiracy.
The "news" is a joke - "unnamed" means, well- we got somebody who hinted at something but we can change it and prune it to fit with our message. Do you understand yet? It is quite funny that you guys cling to these sorts of "news" storied when the press has repeatedly shown it won't name names.
Surprise, surprise, you're changing the subject. Is the article inaccurate? There are many people named in the article, including a group of nine senators. Seven of them are Republicans. Have any of them come forward to refute the article? Do you have any sources at all to discredit this article, or is it standard YABA whining about picking on your boy?

Pssst...I heard from an unnamed Anandtech memeber that Bowfinger is a Troll. Must be true...it came from an unnnamed source.:D
Oh look, RoboCAD is stuck in a loop. Must be why he's getting all these double posts.

Do you not understand the fact that there is always conflict when a group of people are brought together? If anything this is just normal friction that some "unnamed official" is taking out of context and probably doesn't know the whole story.
Sounds like YABA wishful thinking to me. Anything to support it?

Maybe Bush did hand down the order for no more leaks - then I guess this leaker didn't follow instructions and should be called what he/she is - a traitor.:)
Sadly, I suspect you believe it in spite of your smiley. The YABAs have never accepted the difference between supporting the man who is currently President and supporting the United States of America. Would you feel better if this "traitor" exposed a couple of covert CIA agents? Would that make it OK?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: BOBDN
Bow

Just as the Bush White House is in total disarray their supporters are in total disarray as well.

They can't resolve the cognitive dissidence created by the Bush administration's continued inability to create a working foreign or domestic policy because their entire administration is based on a lie. They have an agenda which they kept hidden from everyone outside their small circle of radical zealots and now even those inside the administration can't keep it a secret any longer.

Watching the Bush administration crumble is even more enjoyable than watching that fat lying Limpbaugh come crashing down to earth.

And listening to the rants and excuses of their supporters is a close second.

They can't admit to themselves the truth. Their "honor and dignity" poster boy is a liar, thief and hypocrite. His administration is filled with the same.
On the nose, BOBDN. You've hit it on the nose.