Bush orders FBI-Congress documents sealed

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060525/ap_on_go_pr_wh/raid_on_congress

President Bush stepped into the Justice Department's constitutional confrontation with Congress on Thursday and ordered that documents seized in an FBI raid on a lawmaker's office be sealed for 45 days.

The president directed that no one involved in the investigation have access to the documents taken last weekend from the office of Rep. William Jefferson (news, bio, voting record), D-La., and that they remain in the custody of the Justice Department's solicitor general.

Bush's move was described as an attempt to cool off a heated confrontation between his administration and leaders of House leaders of both parties, particularly Speaker Dennis Hastert.

Hastert and Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi said they were asking the House counsel to meet with the Justice Department to work out a resolution.

Bush's order "gives us some time to step back and try to negotiate with the Department of Justice," said Hastert.

This is so interesting. The siezure happens just before it is revealed that Hastert is under investigation.
It looks like a setup. The real beneficiaries are the Republicans who don't want the FBI to get their files in the Abrahamoff investigation.

DickFnTracy

Banned
Dec 8, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060525/ap_on_go_pr_wh/raid_on_congress

President Bush stepped into the Justice Department's constitutional confrontation with Congress on Thursday and ordered that documents seized in an FBI raid on a lawmaker's office be sealed for 45 days.

The president directed that no one involved in the investigation have access to the documents taken last weekend from the office of Rep. William Jefferson (news, bio, voting record), D-La., and that they remain in the custody of the Justice Department's solicitor general.

Bush's move was described as an attempt to cool off a heated confrontation between his administration and leaders of House leaders of both parties, particularly Speaker Dennis Hastert.

Hastert and Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi said they were asking the House counsel to meet with the Justice Department to work out a resolution.

Bush's order "gives us some time to step back and try to negotiate with the Department of Justice," said Hastert.

This is so interesting. The siezure happens just before it is revealed that Hastert is under investigation.
It looks like a setup. The real beneficiaries are the Republicans who don't want the FBI to get their files in the Abrahamoff investigation.

Hastert isn't under investigation:

CNN

Are you ever right about anything?

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
When is Congress going to realize that national security is more important than their useless privacy?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno
When is Congress going to realize that national security is more important than their useless privacy?
You can give them your privacy. I refuse to yield mine. The kindest description I can muster for your understanding of the principles on which this nation was founded would include words like shallow, vapid and ignorant. Benjamin Franklin said, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I don't trust this administration any further than I can throw you from here, but the FBI search of Rep. William Jefferson has NOTHING to do with separation of powers.

Unlike the administration's unwarranted and highly illegal surveillance of American citizens, this is NOT a case where the executive branch exceeded its powers. the FBI's search was pursuant to a lawful search warrant issued after presentation of sufficient and competent evidence of immediate wrong doing by Rep. Jefferson, including sworn testimony by Jefferson's own staff and video of him taking the bribe.

This is perfect example of the Constitutional balance of powers working correctly. Any members of Congress who protest this action just look like they are among the guilty in the "culture of corruption," rather than those working to remove the stain of corruption from Congress. NO citizen, not even a member of Congress, is above the law and legitimate functions of the judicial system.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Harvey
You can give them your privacy. I refuse to yield mine. The kindest description I can muster for your understanding of the principles on which this nation was founded would include words like shallow, vapid and ignorant. Benjamin Franklin said, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I don't trust this administration any further than I can throw you from here, but the FBI search of Rep. William Jefferson has NOTHING to do with separation of powers.

Unlike the administration's unwarranted and highly illegal survellance of American citizens, this is NOT a case where the executive branch exceeded its powers. the FBI's search was pursuant to a lawful search warrant issued after presentation of sufficient and competent evidence of immediate wrong doing by Rep. Jefferson, including sworn testimony by Jefferson's own staff and video of him taking the bribe.

This is perfect example of the Constitutional balance of powers working correctly. Any members of Congress who protest this action just look like they are among the guilty in the "culture of corruption," rather than those working to remove the stain of corruption from Congress. NO citizen, not even a member of Congress, is above the law and legitimate functions of the judicial system.

:thumbsup:

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey

Unlike the administration's unwarranted and highly illegal survellance of American citizens, this is NOT a case where the executive branch exceeded its powers. the FBI's search was pursuant to a lawful search warrant issued after presentation of sufficient and competent evidence of immediate wrong doing by Rep. Jefferson, including sworn testimony by Jefferson's own staff and video of him taking the bribe.

I was actually being sarcastic.

I do realize that this was a completely legal search. I just find it ironic that many Congressmen think illegal wiretapping and the like is perfectly fine but when someone starts coming after one of their own, all of them start sh!tting bricks.

It reminds me of when SCOTUS said eminent domain is allowed for private companies to steal others properties. Then when someone tried for eminent domain on one of them, they said tried (and succeeded) to block it from happening.

Our government cares nothing about our rights. They only care about their own.