Bush on the Constitution: 'It's just a goddamned piece of paper'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: dualsmp
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7779.shtml

Last month, Republican Congressional leaders filed into the Oval Office to meet with President George W. Bush and talk about renewing the controversial USA Patriot Act.

Several provisions of the act, passed in the shell shocked period immediately following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, caused enough anger that liberal groups like the American Civil Liberties Union had joined forces with prominent conservatives like Phyllis Schlafly and Bob Barr to oppose renewal.

GOP leaders told Bush that his hardcore push to renew the more onerous provisions of the act could further alienate conservatives still mad at the President from his botched attempt to nominate White House Counsel Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court.

?I don?t give a goddamn,? Bush retorted. ?I?m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way.?

?Mr. President,? one aide in the meeting said. ?There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution.?

"Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,? Bush screamed back. ?It?s just a goddamned piece of paper!?

I?ve talked to three people present for the meeting that day and they all confirm that the President of the United States called the Constitution ?a goddamned piece of paper.?

And, to the Bush Administration, the Constitution of the United States is little more than toilet paper stained from all the ****** that this group of power-mad despots have dumped on the freedoms that ?goddamned piece of paper? used to guarantee.

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, while still White House counsel, wrote that the ?Constitution is an outdated document.?

Put aside, for a moment, political affiliation or personal beliefs. It doesn?t matter if you are a Democrat, Republican or Independent. It doesn?t matter if you support the invasion or Iraq or not. Despite our differences, the Constitution has stood for two centuries as the defining document of our government, the final source to determine ? in the end ? if something is legal or right.

Every federal official ? including the President ? who takes an oath of office swears to ?uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia says he cringes when someone calls the Constitution a ?living document.?

?"Oh, how I hate the phrase we have?a 'living document,?? Scalia says. ?We now have a Constitution that means whatever we want it to mean. The Constitution is not a living organism, for Pete's sake.?

As a judge, Scalia says, ?I don't have to prove that the Constitution is perfect; I just have to prove that it's better than anything else.?

President Bush has proposed seven amendments to the Constitution over the last five years, including a controversial amendment to define marriage as a ?union between a man and woman.? Members of Congress have proposed some 11,000 amendments over the last decade, ranging from repeal of the right to bear arms to a Constitutional ban on abortion.

Scalia says the danger of tinkering with the Constitution comes from a loss of rights.

?We can take away rights just as we can grant new ones,? Scalia warns. ?Don't think that it's a one-way street.?

And don?t buy the White House hype that the USA Patriot Act is a necessary tool to fight terrorism. It is a dangerous law that infringes on the rights of every American citizen and, as one brave aide told President Bush, something that undermines the Constitution of the United States.

But why should Bush care? After all, the Constitution is just ?a goddamned piece of paper.?

Anyone smell the fascism yet? I'd love to say lets just impeach this bumbling fool, but somehow "President Cheney" scares me even more. :disgust:

way too funny!! People like you who try to start flame wars ande such nonesense by quoting "impeccable" sources ought to be hung up by there grapefruit!!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Funny how the wingers attack the whole idea of anonymous sources when they're critical of their team, but accept them wholeheartedly when it comes to rationalization for the WOI, for example...

CHB has been around a long time, and have been critical of anybody they thought was screwing up, regardless of party, so they actually rate fairly high on the credibility scale... a lot higher than Talon News Service, anyway...

And we've seen what happens to anybody who steps up to publicly criticize the Bush Admin... don't even think about it unless you're independently wealthy and wearing a slime-proof suit...

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
Funny how the wingers attack the whole idea of anonymous sources when they're critical of their team, but accept them wholeheartedly when it comes to rationalization for the WOI, for example...

CHB has been around a long time, and have been critical of anybody they thought was screwing up, regardless of party, so they actually rate fairly high on the credibility scale... a lot higher than Talon News Service, anyway...

And we've seen what happens to anybody who steps up to publicly criticize the Bush Admin... don't even think about it unless you're independently wealthy and wearing a slime-proof suit...

They accept administration propaganda even as it's exposed right in front of their eyes.

As for Bush saying of the Constitution, 'It's just a goddamned piece of paper,' I wouldnt' be at all surprised. Just look at the way he's shredded it these last five years.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Well, can we find the articles they published during Clinton's era to see what kind of flashy headlines they wrote back then to compare to the headlines alchemize noted to try and validate what they say about bashing both sides of the political spectrum?

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: dahunan
Originally posted by: zendari
Originally posted by: conehead433
It's easy to believe that Bush doesn't give a GD about the Constitution. I don't believe he gives a GD about anything.

You don't go through the trouble of becoming President without giving a damn about something.

When your daddy was head of the cia .. ex pres and a big oil family .. and you started working with saudi billionaire oil folks while in the NG ../ and you graduated from college with the lowest possible score allowed for their graduates.. then... it isn't what you know.. but who

I hope you know that Bush had better grades than Kerry...

fierydemise

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
Originally posted by: ntdz
It's easy to believe that Bush doesn't give a GD about the Constitution. I don't believe he gives a GD about anything.

You don't go through the trouble of becoming President without giving a damn about something.

When your daddy was head of the cia .. ex pres and a big oil family .. and you started working with saudi billionaire oil folks while in the NG ../ and you graduated from college with the lowest possible score allowed for their graduates.. then... it isn't what you know.. but who

Who cares when it comes down to a C or a D its not that special

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: ntdz

Graduation Grades ... or just in some classes

Sad that Bush talks like a drunken retard and Kerry can put together an intelligent conversation

Kerry saw combat in Vietnam too.. does that count for something :)

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
For once I actually agree with Bush. The Constitution is indeed just a piece of paper. Anyone who believes that it has or ever will limit the 'powers' of the federal government is extremely deluded.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: lozina
Well, can we find the articles they published during Clinton's era to see what kind of flashy headlines they wrote back then to compare to the headlines alchemize noted to try and validate what they say about bashing both sides of the political spectrum?
How about:

From May 10, 2000
When you lie down with dogs

From May 22, 2000
The Wicked Witch and the Boy Scout

From May 24, 2000
Shunned by all the other jackals

From August 18, 2000
Is justice finally closing in on Bill Clinton?

From January 31, 2001
A nightmare called Bill Clinton haunts on

Hmm, guess he's not a partisan hack after all.

MicroChrome

Mar 8, 2005
Well, Bush can say anything he wants really. He calls the national public dubt "Just an IOU"... Yeah... Sure... What's a mortgage? Just an IOU. What's a bond? Just an IOU.

Link

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Whoever's running CapitolHillBlue seems to focused on the anger/mental health attributes of the Propagandist. Seems to be a vendetta of sorts. I'd take that article with not just a grain of salt but an entire box of Morton Salt.

MicroChrome

Mar 8, 2005
Yeah, I was reading that myself. Funny how he has no take on bushes problems. Then again I didn't read the enitre site but I thought it was funny for the most part.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
From Dissipate-

"For once I actually agree with Bush. The Constitution is indeed just a piece of paper. Anyone who believes that it has or ever will limit the 'powers' of the federal government is extremely deluded."

Ex Parte Milligan?

Miranda?

Roe vs Wade?

Mere delusions, according to Dissipate...

As are obviously the 13th, 14th, 15th and 19th amendments... and a lot of other ways that the Constitution limits the power of govt...

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
Need a better source.

If this really happened, it would be on more credible news sites.

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
Never have been convinced about CHB as a source, but it does fit his pattern of anti-Constitution policy-making.

Future Shock

Aug 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Dissipate
For once I actually agree with Bush. The Constitution is indeed just a piece of paper. Anyone who believes that it has or ever will limit the 'powers' of the federal government is extremely deluded.

If we as the employers of our government (remember, they are not kings by divine right, they are our fscking employees!) begin to believe that is the case, then it is time to remove them all from office and start fresh.

Let's start by removing gerrymandered districts from both political parties, let's start by removing the 86%+ re-election rate of Congressmen, let's start by getting more political turnover in Washington. Let's lower the term limits for Congressmen as well.

Perhaps let's take the extreme step and return to the system of the President and VP being from seperate parties, so that each party can monitor the other's behaviour in office...

Future Shock

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
From Dissipate-

"For once I actually agree with Bush. The Constitution is indeed just a piece of paper. Anyone who believes that it has or ever will limit the 'powers' of the federal government is extremely deluded."

Ex Parte Milligan?

Miranda?

Roe vs Wade?

Mere delusions, according to Dissipate...

As are obviously the 13th, 14th, 15th and 19th amendments... and a lot of other ways that the Constitution limits the power of govt...

Indeed they are. The Constitution can never limit the powers of government. For one thing the population at large doesn't have a clue what the Constitution even says. Most people just pay their taxes and go about their business.

I'm not saying that there are no limits to the government's power. But those limits do not come from the Constitution, they merely arise only when enough people get pissed off.

Here are just some tentacles of government that the Constitution has done nothing to stop:

IRS

Patriot Act / Homeland Security Department

Selective Service/Vietnam War Draft

OSHA

FCC

FTA

FBI

CIA

EPA

ATF

Federal Reserve System

The fundamental reason why the Constitution does nothing to limit government power?

It can be interpreted in almost any way the government wants to.