Bush Like Me - Ten weeks undercover in the grass roots of the Republican Party

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Zebo
Sorry vic but what do you mean by the metaphorical "afraid of the flames" comment? Hell Right? Or just afriad of not belonging? Also Terrified of what and fearful of what? What's the basis for this fear?

Anyway where the heck is moonie? He'll encode the decode so i understand.
Yes, that they are afraid of hell.

Afraid of what? To use Moonie, they're afraid of the mirror. Afraid of confronting their own responsibility and complicity in their own problems and crises.
They need to jam out to some good Zeppelin, "N-n-n-n-n-no-body's fault but mine", but they'd probably call it the devil's music.
I don't want to be overally stereotypical though, as there are good and bad people in every group.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well read through the entire thing. Tried to keep an open mind. Looks to me like he managed to find a way to put all the major republican stereotypes in there. Example patronizing inconsiderate treatment of "token" black republican. I find this like most stereotypes to be the exception rather than the rule. He also wrote extensively about his interactions with the fundamentalist christian woman even describing his shameless baiting of her. Fact is in my 44 years i have met very few republicans that were remotely similar to the characters he describes. His description of several secretly pro choice republicans does not surprise me. I have yet to meet any republicans that are completely in lock step with each other on every topic. The part where he baited the christians with his story about the Transvestite is comical in its implication of republican intolerance. The worst treatment i have ever seen a transvestite subjected to was at the hands of a shop full of hardcore democrat union members. His story very obviously reflects his own preconceptions and misconceptions. It seemed well written but was obviously written in a preconceived manner.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: cwjerome
Wow.. cool, perknose has his grampa shorts in a jumble because I spoke badly of Woodstock. Dude, just go back to your doob, you're a loser in life. I bet you have a pony-tail huh? You're so self-deluded, you should be taken out and lashed into reality... I can see someone agreeing with this article, but for someone -like you- to actually say it isn't partisan and isn't negative towards Republicans is the height of dishonesty. No I take that back, you aren't dishonest, just plain mindless.... up to your gaping mouth in your own bullshit and swallowing hard.

Let's go perknose, tell me how little I know... without refutting anything. Tell me how smart you are... without offering evidence. Say something worthwhile, instead of your jealous personal attacks. For the third time in a topic you've come out of nowhere and wildly attacked an opinion I've expressed like some freak on a leash. You are one to talk about respect, make an intelligent point on something for once. Who in the hell are you to not say anything anywhere, and only come out to try a deride someone? You got some serious anger issues... your kids probably hate your guts or your wife is probably bangin the cableman or something.

Go deal with your personal problems, because getting your jollies off vicious attacks on other posters is a sad, sad thing. I feel sorry for you... seek help, and redeem your worthless existence.

I have been bitterly disappointed by the relevation of certain facts lately here at P&N that sometimes I wonder what's the point in defending people or ideas here. That being said:

Nice cockfight--useless except that I did nearly find it amusing.......right up until the part where insults used kids and/or wives. This is unessarily vulgar. I feel shame for reading and quoting the above post.

This place truly does suck. :disgust:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Corn
Originally posted by: cwjerome
Wow.. cool, perknose has his grampa shorts in a jumble because I spoke badly of Woodstock. Dude, just go back to your doob, you're a loser in life. I bet you have a pony-tail huh? You're so self-deluded, you should be taken out and lashed into reality... I can see someone agreeing with this article, but for someone -like you- to actually say it isn't partisan and isn't negative towards Republicans is the height of dishonesty. No I take that back, you aren't dishonest, just plain mindless.... up to your gaping mouth in your own bullshit and swallowing hard.

Let's go perknose, tell me how little I know... without refutting anything. Tell me how smart you are... without offering evidence. Say something worthwhile, instead of your jealous personal attacks. For the third time in a topic you've come out of nowhere and wildly attacked an opinion I've expressed like some freak on a leash. You are one to talk about respect, make an intelligent point on something for once. Who in the hell are you to not say anything anywhere, and only come out to try a deride someone? You got some serious anger issues... your kids probably hate your guts or your wife is probably bangin the cableman or something.

Go deal with your personal problems, because getting your jollies off vicious attacks on other posters is a sad, sad thing. I feel sorry for you... seek help, and redeem your worthless existence.

I have been bitterly disappointed by the relevation of certain facts lately here at P&N that sometimes I wonder what's the point in defending people or ideas here. That being said:

Nice cockfight--useless except that I did nearly find it amusing.......right up until the part where insults used kids and/or wives. This is unessarily vulgar. I feel shame for reading and quoting the above post.

This place truly does suck. :disgust:

hehe, you'll be back.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Perknose, perhaps I should disable user rating so I can look as pretty as you. My low user rating doesn't really mean much considering there are a lot of prominent AT members with similar ratings. In fact, the average is pretty darn low. But you should not even attack me for my user rating because it has nothing to do with the argument and you do not allow yourself to be held to the same standard. It doesn't really work for your argument to attack me personally by calling me a troll.

As for grammatical mistakes in your other posts, you have a howler in your first sentence in THIS POST. Pretty weak for a guy who claims to have been paid to write, although in my two years as a business writer, I did note the large number of weak assed hacks in the field. Sad, really, I weep for the English language. Have you spotted your mistake yet? Be sure to let us know when you do.

I guess I am missing "It"? Big deal.. I already said I don't use 'Sunday best' for these forums. If I have an error elsewhere, please enlighten me because I do like to learn.

You have grammatical mistakes in your post ridiculing my grammatical mistakes. My intentions for including an excuse for my grammar was to limit the scope of the argument to the argument itself instead of attacking each other on irrelevant matters.

The problem not only with fundamentalist Christians but with Republicans in general is not that they act on blind faith, without thinking. The problem is that they are incorrigible doubters with an insatiable appetite for Evidence. What they get off on is not Believing, but in having their beliefs tested.

You are trying to tell me that the first sentence is saying that they do not act on blind faith without thinking? That is wrong and ignorant of the author's intentions. You are failing to examine the context. The author cleverly uses both a red herring (diverted focus) and a false dilemma (stating only two alternatives exist when there can be others).

The red herring is obvious in the second sentence because he trivializing the first (much more broad and offensive) attack in the first sentence by emphasizing a lesser attack. Essentially, he is expecting the reader to believe that 'fundamentalist Christians - and Republicans in general - act on blind faith, without thinking' and take it as a premise without supplying arguments. He is saying that Republicans in general ARE those things, just that is not where the problem is. The author is clearly not stating, "Republicans in general do not act on blind faith without thinking. But, they are incorrigible doubters..."

The false dilemma is that the author includes the first sentence and the second as the only possible explanations for Republican behavior[sic].

From the article:

This is the wrong approach. As a professional misanthrope, I believe that if you are going to hate a person, you ought to do it properly. You should go and live in his shoes for a while and see at the end of it how much you hate yourself.

This was what I was doing down in Florida. The real challenge wasn't just trying to understand these Republicans. It was to become the best Republican I could be.

From this, I think he is trying to sound unbiased - like he says he actually puts forth an effort of understanding. Instead, his whole ordeal is merely to come up with an explanation for why Republicans ace so 'fvcked up'.

Anyway, YES, I take offense at the article. And YES, I take offense when someone professing to be a literary master describes it as insightful - one of the highest praises possible for an actual study. I do not take offense at your personal attacks, however, because they make me look INSIGHTFUL to a discerning third party.

If you would like me to point out grammatical mistakes in your post, I would rather not. Also, my intent is not to attack your person. Let me know if I have responded to all of your arguments that do not center on attacking me personally.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
An interesting article. It's been my experience though that there are people with whacked ideas about the world across the full spectrum of politics. Of course it's entirely possible that it is me that is whacked.

DigDug

Mar 21, 2002
For example, they're not Fundamentalist Christians because they truly love and have faith in God, but because they're afraid of the flames

Of course. The western concept of god is one of wrath, despite all the affectations and bible-hugging the pious do. To live in a system where you are placed on unsure ground, always risking "falling into sin" and a consequent hellfire, forces you to live your life as any other paranoid person would - desperately seeking and wrestling with what you percieve to be the demons around you, so as to perpetually reassure yourself that, at the very least, you aren't as bad as they are, and at the very best, you are proving yourself to god.

Why do you think born-agains go around plroclaiming everything and everyone heathens, and then spend time trying to convert them? There's no real desire to help other people, but to placate a God that at any moment may consider them to be too sinful to enter heaven.