Bush lifts all steel tariffs

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
it's gonna hurt him in a major swing state, PA, but it was the right thing to do. WTG W.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Jadow
it's gonna hurt him in a major swing state, PA, but it was the right thing to do. WTG W.

Huh? He was the one who put those tariffs in place. He only backed off when the Europeans got him by the nads at WTO.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
LOL.

He didn't do it because it was the "right" thing to do.

He did it for political reasons. There are more swing states against him (particularly Florida) in this matter then there are for him.

When he put in the tariffs the demographic was a bit the other way.

It's about votes....not what's right or wrong.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
I guess if Bush didn't pull the tariffs, he'd be criticized for being too strong-armed and unilateral and not playing nice. Now that he did the opposite, he gets criticized for pandering for votes.

Your credibility meters are stuck on zero.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: miguel
I guess if Bush didn't pull the tariffs, he'd be criticized for being too strong-armed and unilateral and not playing nice. Now that he did the opposite, he gets criticized for pandering for votes.
Maybe to a Bush apologist like yourself. The new GOP: protectionism and huge government in, free trade and fiscal restraint out.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Maybe to a Bush apologist like yourself. The new GOP: protectionism and huge government in, free trade and fiscal restraint out.

Funny how I always get called a Bush apologist or a sheep... I'm only pointing out that it seems regardless of what he does, people criticize him.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Well, he shouldn't have raised protections on the steel industry to begin with. Now that he's removed them, the net effect is ZERO. Much like Bush's other policies. ;)

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: SuperTool

Funny how I always get called a Bush apologist or a sheep... I'm only pointing out that it seems regardless of what he does, people criticize him.

Because it's a panderer flip-flop. He flipped to pander to the steel workers, then he flopped to pander to steel consumers and florida businesses facing retaliation from WTO.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Too bad the EU governments are still too much sissies to complain about the ban on importing genetically modified food and meat where the animal was treated against certain diseases. The exact food which the USA exports.

Shelly21

Diamond Member
May 28, 2002

Give me a break, so for you, if he didn't pull the tariffs, you'd prise him for fulfilling his election promise, and not fold under international pressue. And if he pull it, you'd prise him for saving more jobs.

What's wrong with pandering for votes anyway? It's almost election time.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Yikes, look what GM's stock price did. As I said, it's about time the government stopped handicapping our high-value industrials in order to save our low-value, polluting industrials. I guess Caterpillar will benefit from this, too. Too bad both of these have already had a decent run-up in stock price.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Oh lol 100x. He was fundraising in Pittsburgh yesterday and from the podium he said "It's nice to be in...Knowledgetown Penn".

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Shelly21

Give me a break, so for you, if he didn't pull the tariffs, you'd prise him for fulfilling his election promise, and not fold under international pressue. And if he pull it, you'd prise him for saving more jobs.

What's wrong with pandering for votes anyway? It's almost election time.

I neither praised nor criticized him. I was only pointing out that regardless of what he did, some people criticize him, which is kinda stupid if you ask me.

Shelly21

Diamond Member
May 28, 2002
Right, it's equally stupid to prise him for anything he does either way.

I think he did the "right" thing. ;)

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I think he actually said "Knowledgetown USA". They showed it on the Daily Show last night. You can tell, he was about to say Steeltown, stumbled a bit and then said "Knowledgetown". Someone know how that relates to Pittsburgh?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I neither praised nor criticized him. I was only pointing out that regardless of what he did, some people criticize him, which is kinda stupid if you ask me.
Well I guess regardless of what he did, some people will defend him. Kinda stupid if you ask me. :p

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Well I guess regardless of what he did, some people will defend him. Kinda stupid if you ask me. :p

Bingo.

Mrburns2007

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2001

It was a no win situation but the bright note should be highlighted and that is the fact that for 20 months the tariffs existed. It had some impact on the US steel industry. 20 months is better then none but not quite the 36 months orignally planned.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Miguel, no matter what any politician does, some people will be happy with it and some people will criticize. As my old PolySci prof used to say, "Politics is never nuetral." This is life. Welcome!

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Whitling
Miguel, no matter what any politician does, some people will be happy with it and some people will criticize. As my old PolySci prof used to say, "Politics is never nuetral." This is life. Welcome!

The problem I see is that there are people in this forum that think that no matter what Bush does, he's a liar and a fool. Do you not see that? I for one, do like how Bush is doing, but I am not a sheep or an apologist. If someone would make a clear-cut argument for how Bush is doing badly, I listen. If someone proves that he (Bush) is a liar, I would listen. But it sickens me to read day in and day out, sniping attacks on his intelligence and integrity without proof or reasonable arguments. I mean, my god, the guy had a drinking problem and overcame it and became president. Yet, it's just another wound people stick things in. Give me a good argument as to how the guy is a useless drunk and I'll listen. But alas, no argument without name-calling and fallacious logic has been put forth.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Still it's kinda sleezy to stand before those who he invoked the steel tarifs for
and thump his chest about how much they ment to him, then turn right around
in the next day or so, and revoke them - after he had taken his cut of the funding
for his campaign. He knew he was going to screw them, and did it without remorse.
Take the money and run. Didn't he get almost a Million for his War Chest from them ?
Can they get a refund ?
They certainly deserve a refund for the broken promise of the day before.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
MrBurns, this Bud's for you. "but not quite the 36 months orignally planned.". Let's assume for a moment (remember, this is fantasy), that the administration thought the sanctions were NOT a violation of the WTO rules. Why plan for only 36 months? After all, if what those dastardly foreigners are doing is unfair, why not continue to penalize them?

Personally, I would suggest as an alternative that the administation never thought the tarriffs would be upheld but hoped to get 36 months out of the legal process.