Bush gets low marks in poll as he prepares exit

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000

http://www.iht.com/articles/20...rica/16poll-409628.php

President George W. Bush leaves office next week with no evidence that public opinion toward him is softening during his final days in power, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

When asked about Bush's performance over the last eight years, 22 percent of Americans said they approved. That matched Bush's job-approval rating for much of last fall, the lowest marks of his presidency. Seventy-three percent disapproved of his performance in the new poll, slightly higher than the highest figure he registered - in October - over the course of his two terms.

Disapproval cuts across party lines, with Democrats, Independents and even 34 percent of Republicans voicing strong criticism of Bush's performance.

In contrast, Bush's four predecessors left office with approval ratings ranging from 68 percent for both Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton, to 54 percent for George H.W. Bush. Jimmy Carter had a 44 percent approval rating upon his departure from office.

Just 17 percent of those surveyed rated Bush's presidency as very good or good, while 83 percent said it was average or poor. Fifty-nine percent of Americans regarded Clinton as a very good or good President and 40 percent viewed the senior President Bush the same way.

Well, this just shows he was or IS the worst president ever...

But, I still fail to see how he got 22% approval ratting (yet, carter managed to drum up twice as much)... Still, how stupid can you get? And why do we continue to let a president still be in office with such low numbers?

Pathetic.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
I have a feeling, looking back on things 30 years from now, he won't be considered the worst in history. Just my opinion.

Sep 12, 2004
Does Congress still have an even lower approval rating than Bush?

I think the approval ratings are a reflection of American's disgust with politicians in general these days.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken

I think the approval ratings are a reflection of American's disgust with politicians in general these days.

Maybe. Congress running about a 20% approval rating right now according to Gallup.

Link

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003

I agree.

Congress approval rating
In Gallup's most recent reading -- based on interviewing in December, the final month of the previous Congress -- only 20% of Americans said they approved of the way Congress is handling its job, and for all of 2008, congressional approval averaged only 19%.

Post 1945 Presidential Approval Rating Averages
Bush's weak second term is tied with Truman's, and only slightly better than what Nixon got leading up to his resignation from office.
Ouch...

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
i think it's possible that he will be considered extraordinarily prescient to
have positioned US troops in Iraq.

Europe is learning what it's like to live without Russian natural gas -
smokey (because they burn wood & coal) and cold.

MagicConch

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
I have a feeling, looking back on things 30 years from now, he won't be considered the worst in history. Just my opinion.

I find it unusual Bush and Cheney are so firmly committed to the belief that future Americans will adore them since their administration did nothing significant for the long-term (I seriously doubt Iraq will be a democracy in 30 years) and left them with a mountain of debt. If anything, they will dislike him more than us imo.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

All the more reason to secede.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Maybe. Congress running about a 20% approval rating right now according to Gallup.

Link

That a very misleading number since most incumbant congress people win reelection.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: HomerJS

Link

That a very misleading number since most incumbant congress people win reelection.
So did Bush. I doubt that many will claim his approval rating is a misleading number because he was reelected.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Before Bush, LBJ and Nixon were at the top of my shit list. Now Bush is well ahead of them.

-Robert

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Oh, and when Congress gets finished investigating Bush's administration, his administration won't be worth squat.

-Robert

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
While I basically felt by 2002 that GWB really stunk as a President, he managed to really disappoint in his second term. And as chess9 points out, we don't know much now regarding how bad he was, and will know more when the incoming administration get access to various cabinet level files and starts to slowly piece everything together. I would also say, in adopted PNAC, GWB&co. somehow managed to engineer and accelerate the collapse of America in a new century.

But that is my opinion, and this thread only pretends to know what the judgments of an unknowable future. And as such, is speculation, just speculation, and only somewhat speculation. Maybe that speculation will end if GWB and many of his cronies end up on the docket at the Hague, making them the first Presidential administration to do so, and thus securing their place in history. But we have speculated about that too.

But with only 3 days remaining in the GWB era, we have yet to see his full pardon list come out. I predict much outrage when they come out.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

congress always has a terrible approval rating

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: HomerJS

Link

So did Bush. I doubt that many will claim his approval rating is a misleading number because he was reelected.

people have much higher favorability ratings for their own congressmen than other peoples congressmen

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005

In the top 3 worst in history?

0marTheZealot

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2004
I think that a majority of historians today have said that he's the worst president ever.

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2008/04/hbc-90002804

And that was back in 2006. I think when the full weight of knowledge comes out in a couple years, GWB will be seen as the darkest era since WWII and quite possibly, also the darkest era since the inception of the country.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: 0marTheZealot
I think that a majority of historians today have said that he's the worst president ever.

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2008/04/hbc-90002804

And that was back in 2006. I think when the full weight of knowledge comes out in a couple years, GWB will be seen as the darkest era since WWII and quite possibly, also the darkest era since the inception of the country.

No. Granted, he wasn't great but he could have done A LOT worse. Anyone who considers him the worst president ever has a huge bias. I'm sure that they are already saying that Obama is the best president ever even though he hasn't taken office yet. You can't judge a president until you see the effects years later.

Also, how much can you trust an article that begins with a parody Simpsons quote?

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
While I'm not one of the President's greatest fans, I also do not believe he's the worst president ever. Give it 50 years or so and then take a look back and see who stood for what and where the country is at. I think you'll all be quite surprised - if you live that long. ;)

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I'm not sure he will go down as the WORST president in history thus far, however, I do think that he is certainly a strong contender.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: ericlp

But, I still fail to see how he got 22% approval ratting (yet, carter managed to drum up twice as much)... Still, how stupid can you get? And why do we continue to let a president still be in office with such low numbers?

Pathetic.

Pathetic is absolutely right.

Removing a president from office on basis of popularity is sheer brilliance.

/sarcasm

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I think that a majority of historians today have said that he's the worst president ever. And that was back in 2006. I think when the full weight of knowledge comes out in a couple years, GWB will be seen as the darkest era since WWII and quite possibly, also the darkest era since the inception of the country.

Pretty much my thoughts as well, although I believe Cheney will check out in a Ken Lay fashion and avoid the justice he so richly deserves. :(

I doubt Bush will care much (not a real departure for him there) once it's all explained to him, and will probably find a way to be proud of having sewage treatment facilities named after him.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

Agreed. It was relatively inconsequential in the long run. The worst that happened was a war where 4000+ Americans died, an attack where 3000 Americans died, and a Hurricane where, what, 1700 died? Historically these will not matter so much.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Aren't we supposed to be talking about how great Obama will be? Or do we all already expect him to be a failure so we have no choice but to attack Bush?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Aren't we supposed to be talking about how great Obama will be?

No. Ignoring the past and prognosticating (poorly) about the future is best left to the wingnuts such as yourself...

In other words, you're barking up the wrong thread. Besides, you and your kind have been wrong about pretty much everything lately. Who the fvck is taking cues from you on what they are supposed to be doing?