Bush envisions U.S. presence in Iraq like S.Korea

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tomywishbone

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2006
Originally posted by: 1prophet
Originally posted by: tomywishbone
As long as American forces are in Iraq, they will be targeted for death. We invaded and occupied an innocent country, killed 10's-of-thousands of Iraqi men women & children. They will hate us for generations... as well they should.

Funny you say that, we killed by some accounts over 2 million vietnamese yet they have welcomed us back.

How come we don't see the same type of hatred there?

1st... Refresh my memory; I thought we abandoned the US embassy when we left Vietnam?

2nd... We left all hopes and attempts to run that country behind in 1975

3rd... There, we fought the North Vietnamese, in Iraq we fight Islam. Islam is a little bigger.

Iraqi's will be killing the invaders as long as they are there. I hope you'd have the courage to do the same.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
for as much deaths and doom/gloom couldn't we have just bought the damn country? I'm sure if we offered them 3 trillion dollars plus 25% of the oil profits they would have agreed.

Now before you start getting your panties all wet, it's gonna cost 3 Trillion by the time were done. How can you put a price on someones life? You can't.... Anyway....

Back to the subject...

Bush has a lot of "envisions" how many of them have come true? ZERO!

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
As long as American forces are in Iraq, they will be targeted for death. We invaded and occupied an innocent country, killed 10's-of-thousands of Iraqi men women & children. They will hate us for generations... as well they should.

Funny you say that, we killed by some accounts over 2 million vietnamese yet they have welcomed us back.

1st... Refresh my memory; I thought we abandoned the US embassy when we left Vietnam?

2nd... We left all hopes and attempts to run that country behind in 1975

3rd... There, we fought the Vietnamese, in Iraq we fight Islam. Islam is a little bigger.

Iraqi's will be killing the invaders as long as they are there. I hope you'd have the courage to do the same.

Not disagreeing with you 3 statements, just the way you said
They will hate us for generations... as well they should.

seemed to me that they should hate us even if we were to be gone from their country for many years, like hatred is part of their physical makeup to be passed on to their offspring.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Plus the Iraqi's have oil for wealth...Viets are taking a page out of the Chinese game plan...snuggle up to the US for trade/manufacturing opportunities.

Vietnam was never a success story and not something to compare to Iraq...other than the failure of the war efforts.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Stunt
Plus the Iraqi's have oil for wealth...Viets are taking a page out of the Chinese game plan...snuggle up to the US for trade/manufacturing opportunities.

Vietnam was never a success story and not something to compare to Iraq...other than the failure of the war efforts.

"Viets"?

:roll:

ComradeKilroy

May 17, 2007
So, GWB has not intended to bring the troops home all along. He finally got around to telling us now.

You didn't see that coming? Every place the US invaded, it left troops. There are still bases in Japan, S. Korea, Germany, Cuba, I believe the bases in the Phillipines are still there, we have strong ties to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait fromt the First Gulf War, etc. The US always leaves some sort of peace keeping unit, with the exception obviously of Iraq because Bush Sr. thought the people would overthrow Saddam on their own.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ridiculous. The US has no reason to keep bases open around the world. Let the world deal with their own damn problems.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

They mostly welcome back the dollar. Not to mention the fact that the cultures in Vietnam and Iraq are polar opposites.