Bush becoming more of a D*ck than his Vice President

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
(Sorry if this is a repost. I searched.)

Link

At a press conference this morning, President Bush needled Los Angeles Times reporter Peter Wallsten after he stood up to ask a question wearing sunglasses. ?Are you going to ask that question with shades on?? Bush said, telling Wallsten, ?I?m interested in the shade look, seriously.?

But as Wonkette first noted, and which ThinkProgress subsquently confirmed, Wallsten is legally blind. Wallsten tells us he has a rare genetic disorder called Stargardt?s Disease. The disease is a form of macular degeneration that can be slowed ?by wearing UV-protective sunglasses and avoiding exposure to bright light.?

Link to video.

Saw this on the Daily Show tonight... it's ridiculous how ignorant he is.

In all fairness, he didn't know the dude was legally blind, but as Jon Stewart put it: Even if he did, he probably wouldn't have cared.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your title acts as a troll and then you contradict yourself twice.

Mod

ZeGermans

Banned
Dec 14, 2004
Well, as president, is some guy asks you a question to your face while wearing shades, that's a pretty big sign of disrespect, as in he doesn't care about looking at you directly when you talk. How was he supposed to know he was blind? I wouldn't have thought of that and I probably would have reacted the same way. I'm no fan of Bush, but come on now, this seems like just a misunderstanding.

skooma

Apr 13, 2006
Meh, thats a pretty weak criticism of the pres.

Being partially sighted myself and requiring sunglasses indoors depending on the lighting, I run into that alot. Most people don't think much of calling someone out as trying to "look cool" rather than considering they may need the protection.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: skooma
Meh, thats a pretty weak criticism of the pres.

Being partially sighted myself and requiring sunglasses indoors depending on the lighting, I run into that alot. Most people don't think much of calling someone out as trying to "look cool" rather than considering they may need the protection.

Ok maybe he didnt know

but

that is still funny as hell!!

:D

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21

Link

At a press conference this morning, President Bush needled Los Angeles Times reporter Peter Wallsten after he stood up to ask a question wearing sunglasses. ?Are you going to ask that question with shades on?? Bush said, telling Wallsten, ?I?m interested in the shade look, seriously.?

But as Wonkette first noted, and which ThinkProgress subsquently confirmed, Wallsten is legally blind. Wallsten tells us he has a rare genetic disorder called Stargardt?s Disease. The disease is a form of macular degeneration that can be slowed ?by wearing UV-protective sunglasses and avoiding exposure to bright light.?

Link to video.

In all fairness, he didn't know the dude was legally blind, but as Jon Stewart put it: Even if he did, he probably wouldn't have cared.

so who cares?
Looking for smoke where there is no fire again huh 2Xtreme21...lol weak

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
He called the guy up and apologized.

Bush apologizes to vision-impaired reporter

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush, who often teases members of the White House press corps, apologized Wednesday after he poked fun at a reporter for wearing sunglasses without realizing they were needed for vision loss.

The exchange occurred at a news conference in the Rose Garden.

Bush called on Los Angeles Times reporter Peter Wallsten and asked if he was going to ask his question with his "shades" on.

"For the viewers, there's no sun," Bush said to the television cameras.

But even though the sun was behind the clouds, Wallsten still needs the sunglasses because he has Stargardt's disease, a form of macular degeneration that causes progressive vision loss.

The condition causes Wallsten to be sensitive to glare and even on a cloudy day, can cause pain and increase the loss of sight.

Wallsten said Bush called his cell phone later in the day to apologize and tell him that he didn't know he had the disease.

Wallsten said he interrupted and told the president that no apology was necessary and that he didn't feel offended since he hadn't told anyone at the White House about his condition.

"He said, 'I needle you guys out of affection,' " Wallsten said. "I said, 'I understand that, but I don't want you to treat me any differently because of this.' "

Wallsten said the president said he would not treat him differently, so Wallsten encouraged him to "needle away."

"He said, 'I will. Next time I'll just use a different needle,' " Wallsten said.

Wallsten said he thought that was a pretty good line. And his only complaint is that the president didn't answer his question at the news conference.

Wallsten, who is the author of a book coming out next month titled "One Party Country: The Republican Plan for Dominance in the 21st Century," had asked about White House credibility now in the aftermath of top aide Karl Rove having been cleared in the CIA leak investigation.

But Bush said he wouldn't comment with another top White House aide still facing prosecution in the case.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I don't like GWB---but if he called the guy up and apolgised---its somewhat of a non story to me. Now if only the Cheney family could be less judgemental of John Kerry for pointing out Mary was Lesbian, I would say non-politically correct indignation cuts both ways.

But going back to the title of the thread--is George or Dick the bigger idiot---now there is a question with meat on it
that historinans may debate long after we are dead and gone---but simple answer--its synergy--where both add up to more than the sum of their parts--well in excess of 350 Lbs. of wasted bio-mass.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21

Link

Link to video.

so who cares?
Looking for smoke where there is no fire again huh 2Xtreme21...lol weak
uhhh can it be a non issue and still be funny at the same time?

sheesh!

straightalker

Dec 21, 2005
If you get tired talking about a Bush we can then talk about a Clinton. Get tired of that? We can talk about a Bush again for another 4-8 years. Then a another Clinton. Then another Bush. By then maybe Chelsia will be age 35 and the two-tier eternal dynasty can continue on forever...

With regards to the nuances of this thread. As it would be unfair to make a purely satirical post. It is Dick Cheney who is in charge of the major whitehouse operations. Cheney's playbook is assigned by other mid-level globalists like Poppy Bush and George Shultz who are linked up with the next higher level players. We don't have Representative Government anymore in the USA. All that you see on TV is purely for show purposes only.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: ZeGermans
Well, as president, is some guy asks you a question to your face while wearing shades, that's a pretty big sign of disrespect, as in he doesn't care about looking at you directly when you talk. How was he supposed to know he was blind? I wouldn't have thought of that and I probably would have reacted the same way. I'm no fan of Bush, but come on now, this seems like just a misunderstanding.

BS! If someone is wearing shades in a situation like that it's very likely there is a good reason. If Bushyboy had given it ONE SECOND'S forethought he'd have figured it out. The truth is the guy just doesn't give a rat's arse about anything but his own bottom line.

But ultimatly this is a non-issue, but it does show Georgie's own lack of respect.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I listen to air america out of curiousity and that stupid, uber obnoxious, inane moron witch Randi Rhodes was having a coniption fit about this today.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
So the guy was legally blind but didnt have a cane or dog? How the hell was the pres supposed to know the guy had some rare condition?

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: ScudRunner
Yes, this is much worse than Bill Clinton being a rapist!

:roll: Nice slander there. Nobody ever even accused Clinton of being a rapist (that's not what Paula Jones said happened). I find it entertaining the way Bush backers turn to Clinton everytime Bush is accused of another misdeed, as though it absolves him of his own stupid behavior.

As for the topic at hand, I fail to see how this is a big deal. Obviously in hindsight he regretted it, and apologized, but it's understandable he wouldn't have realized the reporter was blind. Frankly I think a brighter, more sensitive person would have at least realized that was a possibility and not commented on it, but I don't think it's a huge faux pas on his part. He's said literally hundreds of much dumber things than this over the years.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Does not anybody remember when Bush was waving at Stevie Wonder?

Fool me once....

Has he not learned anything during his lifetime?

Maybe people with sunglasses on are blind???

Bush ran on about bringing dignity back to the whitehouse..

Where is that?

Hell I would never make a statement like that.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Originally posted by: DonVito
Originally posted by: outriding
Does not anybody remember when Bush was waving at Stevie Wonder?

I believe that's a documented false urban legend.

Snopes has it down as a maybe..

But regardless the news that he might have waved at Stevie would have reached him.

and he would have known that blind people wear sunglasses inside.

ScudRunner

Banned
May 23, 2006
Nobody ever even accused Clinton of being a rapist

Yes, many women have detailed cases of sexual assualt and rape against Bill Clinton. Never heard of Juanita Broderick? How about Kathleen Wiley? The list of names is quite long. Bill Clinton was the most vile and disgusting man to ever be president!

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: ScudRunner

Yes, many women have detailed cases of sexual assualt and rape against Bill Clinton. Never heard of Juanita Broderick? How about Kathleen Wiley? The list of names is quite long. Bill Clinton was the most vile and disgusting man to ever be president!

Juanita Broderick appears to me to be mentally ill. She accused him of rape (notwithstanding the fact she kept working on his campaign afterwards), later signed a sworn affidavit saying Bill Clinton did nothing wrong, then revived her accusation years later. She has essentially similar credibility to the late Margie Schoedinger, who sued President Bush for kidnapping and rape in 2002.

None of this means that Clinton has any relevance whatsoever to this discussion - again, I see it as indicative of the weakness of President Bush's presidency that his boosters have to point back to Clinton every time Bush is accused of doing something wrong. Say what you will - I readily concede Clinton was a deeply flawed President - but Clinton was clearly much more skilled, and much more hardworking as a President than President Bush.