Bus gets rearended by truck. Girl dies

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
:(

400 feet? Obviously, the truck driver was either trying to murder the busload of kids or he was drunk. There's no other way to explain it.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: amnesiac

400 feet? Obviously, the truck driver was either trying to murder the busload of kids or he was drunk. There's no other way to explain it.

Big ole dent in the back of the bus as well. He must have been flying

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Nitemare[/i
Big ole dent in the back of the bus as well. He must have been flying

chickens can fly

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

I agree, but get this, he was apparently reaching for his cellphone.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Excelsior

I agree, but get this, he was apparently reaching for his cellphone.

It was probably buried under all the empty beer cans

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
hmm those busses dont seem to hald up too much,
the whole section past the rear axle always looked like a bad news to me...

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Clendenin said Garnett, who carried a valid commercial driver's license, had previously been cited for:

speeding 44 mph in a 35 mph zone in a commercial vehicle on March 29, 1999, in Bladen County;

speeding 85 mph in a 55 mph zone on Sept, 3, 1990, in a non-commercial vehicle in Cumberland County;

failing to stop for blue lights and driving too fast for conditions on May 3, 1986, in Cumberland County in a non-commercial vehicle.
Garnett also was involved in collisions in a commercial vehicle in Sampson County in 1999 and Burke County in 2000, Clendenin said.

In three cases, Garnett failed to appear in court on the date specified, but came later to answer the charges.

Mike Terrell, Mountaire's vice president for operations, said Garnett was on a local run, but that he didn't have information on the driver's previous record.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
God give the mother the courage to cope with her loss and the strength to move on... whether that be taking care of her other children. or having another child to fill that empty void.

This just broke my heart.. A 5 yr old child's light gets extinguished just like that.. life is unfair sometimes.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: spanky

he must have been flying.
He didn't have to be flying. These trucks have tremendous momentum. Sad story, hope this guy gets what he deserves.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ajpa123
God give the mother the courage to cope with her loss and the strength to move on... whether that be taking care of her other children. or having another child to fill that empty void.

This just broke my heart.. A 5 yr old child's light gets extinguished just like that.. life is unfair sometimes.

the accident was sad enough, but your post really puts it in perspective... :(

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: KraziKid
Originally posted by: spanky

he must have been flying.
He didn't have to be flying. These trucks have tremendous momentum. Sad story, hope this guy gets what he deserves.

Yeah...a few months ago I saw a 14wheel Dump truck...one of those 20 ton ones, skid for like 20 ft. as he tried to brake. At most he was going 20mph, as I was stopping at the same traffic light.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
failing to stop for blue lights and driving too fast for conditions on May 3, 1986, in Cumberland County in a non-commercial vehicle.

What are blue lights?

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
Originally posted by: halik
Guy, it was a transport complete with loaded trailer! This is not some commercial truck or even an SUV, this has probably close to 20 tons or so of weight behind it. Moving highway speeds, even after trying to stop, that's a HELL of a lot of momentum! Frankly, it's a credit to the bus that it held up that well after the crash and that more kids weren't injured! Were it some consumer level vehicle, it would be a flattened pile of tangled metal.
Originally posted by: OulOat
What are blue lights?
Ambulence or police car flashers, I think. Most likely a failure to get the hell out of the way of some emergency vehicle like you're supposed to.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Wuffsunie
Originally posted by: halik
Guy, it was a transport complete with loaded trailer! This is not some commercial truck or even an SUV, this has probably close to 20 tons or so of weight behind it. Moving highway speeds, even after trying to stop, that's a HELL of a lot of momentum! Frankly, it's a credit to the bus that it held up that well after the crash and that more kids weren't injured! Were it some consumer level vehicle, it would be a flattened pile of tangled metal.
Originally posted by: OulOat
What are blue lights?
Ambulence or police car flashers, I think. Most likely a failure to get the hell out of the way of some emergency vehicle like you're supposed to.
20 tons for a loaded truck? What are you smoking? My father's trucks have GVW's of 80,000 lbs (40 tons). That truck looks fairly large, and if it had a loaded trailer, I would guestimate truck+trailer+load was closer to 35-40 tons.