Bus Driver finds $80,000

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
30,875
12,381
136
http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Ne...12/11/7706456-sun.html

Finder of $80k gets thanks, praise for honesty
Thu, December 11, 2008
Bus driver Rick Bazinet found the cash left behind at a coffee shop by a Brinks employee

By JOE BELANGER


Bus driver returns $80,000 Brinks bag

Bus driver Rick Bazinet got a heartfelt thank you.

But whether the London Transit driver will get a reward for handing over the bag of $80,000 in cash he found is anyone's guess.

Bazinet's phone has been ringing off the hook, including calls from radio talk show hosts, news media and Brinks Canada, whose driver left the bag of $20-bill bricks behind after filling an ATM at the Esso and Tim Hortons drive-thru at the corner of Hamilton Road and Highbury Avenue.

"It doesn't happen every day," said the 34-year-old father of three young children who seemed unfazed by the attention.

"Yes, I got a call from the local (Brinks) manager and he thanked me and said he'd be getting back to me (today). I don't know if there's a reward or not. But I asked and he assured me the driver wouldn't be fired. It was a mistake."


Brinks Canada did not respond to repeated requests for an interview.

Bazinet spotted the bag sitting near a stack of pop bottles after he ordered a coffee and walked to the restroom at about 10:35 p.m. Monday.

Bazinet told the clerk about the find and she managed to track down the Brinks truck, which was parked at another Tim Hortons across the street. The "panicked" driver retrieved the bag, but didn't offer a reward other than to buy her a coffee.

A co-worker of Bazinet's contacted The Free Press and his story was told on yesterday's front page where Bazinet said it never occurred to him to keep the money.

Several readers contacted the Free Press, most singing his praise, but one saying it would have been theft to keep money he knew wasn't his.

One man wants to give Bazinet a $20 reward for his "unbelievable honesty" with the hope others would do the same.

"Maybe he won't get the $80,000 from Brinks, but he might if he gets it from the public," said Milos Jesko.

"I think that it would be a great idea to open a donation account for this honest bus driver, so people like me can donate a $20 bill as a Christmas present for him, as a token of admiration, that he returned the money."

Its good to see people not thinking only about themselves.

I wonder if the Brinks guy gets fired?

UPDATE: it wasn't $80,000. It was $16,000.

Link to new article

Bus driver says honesty best policy
Sat, December 13, 2008
Returning bag of cash pays off

By JOE BELANGER

London bus driver Rick Bazinet got a heartfelt thank you and a cash reward for his honesty for returning a bag of cash found outside a coffee shop washroom.

Brink's Canada officials met yesterday with Bazinet and two Tim Hortons employees who helped ensure the money got back to to the guards, who left it behind when they filled an ATM.

They had lunch with company officials, then were given cash rewards, the amount of which they were asked not to disclose.

"We were very well compensated for our troubles, much more than I would ever have expected," Bazinet said.

"They were very nice, the meal (at the Keg) was nice. And the reward will be a nice help at Christmas."


"They did what everyone would expect a good citizen to do, but not everyone does and we certainly appreciated it," said Don Flynn, general manager of the Brink's London branch.

Bazinet found the bag of cash on Monday near the ATM at the Esso and Tim Hortons drive-through at the corner of Highbury Avenue and Hamilton Road. It was initially thought the bag contained $80,000, but Brinks said yesterday $16,000 was inside.

The London Transit driver had stopped to grab a coffee at 10:35 p.m. and hit the washroom when he saw the bag and alerted store staff, who tracked down the Brinks truck that had stopped at another Tim Hortons across the street.

Flynn said guards leaving money behind is "extremely rare."

"In fact, I can't recall another incident like this. It's an isolated situation that doesn't happen very often," he said. "The crew knew they made a mistake, but nobody will be fired."

Bazinet became an instant media celebrity with calls for interviews and was the focus of a flood of e-mails praising his honesty, although some suggested it was the only thing he could do because keeping the money would be theft.

The 34-year-old father of three young children seemed unfazed by the attention, but admitted the cash would have made "for a great Christmas . . . but that's not the way I was brought up and it's not the way I teach my kids."
 

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
14,328
4,913
136
Originally posted by: Xanis
What the hell is with all of the Good Samaritans lately?

'Tis the season to be jolly, Mr. Grinch.
 

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
17,571
8
0
Originally posted by: Spartan Niner
Originally posted by: Xanis
What the hell is with all of the Good Samaritans lately?

'Tis the season to be jolly, Mr. Grinch.

Well I'm not saying that I wouldn't have returned the bag, because I would have. I believe in doing the right thing. It just surprises me that despite all of the bad things we hear about, there are still some decent people with good morals in this world.
 

tasmanian

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2006
3,813
1
0
Originally posted by: Xanis
What the hell is with all of the Good Samaritans lately?

Because when someone looses 80,000 and doesnt get it back the news doesnt cover that.
 

brownzilla786

Senior member
Dec 18, 2005
904
0
0
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Ne...12/11/7706456-sun.html

Finder of $80k gets thanks, praise for honesty
Thu, December 11, 2008
Bus driver Rick Bazinet found the cash left behind at a coffee shop by a Brinks employee

By JOE BELANGER


Bus driver returns $80,000 Brinks bag

Bus driver Rick Bazinet got a heartfelt thank you.

But whether the London Transit driver will get a reward for handing over the bag of $80,000 in cash he found is anyone's guess.

Bazinet's phone has been ringing off the hook, including calls from radio talk show hosts, news media and Brinks Canada, whose driver left the bag of $20-bill bricks behind after filling an ATM at the Esso and Tim Hortons drive-thru at the corner of Hamilton Road and Highbury Avenue.

"It doesn't happen every day," said the 34-year-old father of three young children who seemed unfazed by the attention.

"Yes, I got a call from the local (Brinks) manager and he thanked me and said he'd be getting back to me (today). I don't know if there's a reward or not. But I asked and he assured me the driver wouldn't be fired. It was a mistake."


Brinks Canada did not respond to repeated requests for an interview.

Bazinet spotted the bag sitting near a stack of pop bottles after he ordered a coffee and walked to the restroom at about 10:35 p.m. Monday.

Bazinet told the clerk about the find and she managed to track down the Brinks truck, which was parked at another Tim Hortons across the street. The "panicked" driver retrieved the bag, but didn't offer a reward other than to buy her a coffee.

A co-worker of Bazinet's contacted The Free Press and his story was told on yesterday's front page where Bazinet said it never occurred to him to keep the money.

Several readers contacted the Free Press, most singing his praise, but one saying it would have been theft to keep money he knew wasn't his.

One man wants to give Bazinet a $20 reward for his "unbelievable honesty" with the hope others would do the same.

"Maybe he won't get the $80,000 from Brinks, but he might if he gets it from the public," said Milos Jesko.

"I think that it would be a great idea to open a donation account for this honest bus driver, so people like me can donate a $20 bill as a Christmas present for him, as a token of admiration, that he returned the money."

Its good to see people not thinking only about themselves.

I wonder if the Brinks guy gets fired?

Did you read your own post?
 

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
30,875
12,381
136
Originally posted by: brownzilla786
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Ne...12/11/7706456-sun.html

Finder of $80k gets thanks, praise for honesty
Thu, December 11, 2008
Bus driver Rick Bazinet found the cash left behind at a coffee shop by a Brinks employee

By JOE BELANGER


Bus driver returns $80,000 Brinks bag

Bus driver Rick Bazinet got a heartfelt thank you.

But whether the London Transit driver will get a reward for handing over the bag of $80,000 in cash he found is anyone's guess.

Bazinet's phone has been ringing off the hook, including calls from radio talk show hosts, news media and Brinks Canada, whose driver left the bag of $20-bill bricks behind after filling an ATM at the Esso and Tim Hortons drive-thru at the corner of Hamilton Road and Highbury Avenue.

"It doesn't happen every day," said the 34-year-old father of three young children who seemed unfazed by the attention.

"Yes, I got a call from the local (Brinks) manager and he thanked me and said he'd be getting back to me (today). I don't know if there's a reward or not. But I asked and he assured me the driver wouldn't be fired. It was a mistake."


Brinks Canada did not respond to repeated requests for an interview.

Bazinet spotted the bag sitting near a stack of pop bottles after he ordered a coffee and walked to the restroom at about 10:35 p.m. Monday.

Bazinet told the clerk about the find and she managed to track down the Brinks truck, which was parked at another Tim Hortons across the street. The "panicked" driver retrieved the bag, but didn't offer a reward other than to buy her a coffee.

A co-worker of Bazinet's contacted The Free Press and his story was told on yesterday's front page where Bazinet said it never occurred to him to keep the money.

Several readers contacted the Free Press, most singing his praise, but one saying it would have been theft to keep money he knew wasn't his.

One man wants to give Bazinet a $20 reward for his "unbelievable honesty" with the hope others would do the same.

"Maybe he won't get the $80,000 from Brinks, but he might if he gets it from the public," said Milos Jesko.

"I think that it would be a great idea to open a donation account for this honest bus driver, so people like me can donate a $20 bill as a Christmas present for him, as a token of admiration, that he returned the money."

Its good to see people not thinking only about themselves.

I wonder if the Brinks guy gets fired?

Did you read your own post?
meh, they may fire him anyway.
 

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
14,637
2
0
Altruism is an important element of the human psyche. In order for society to work will we need to watch out for each other and help each other. Cynically we ten tend not to look for this positive aspect of humanity but it is certainly present and we would be wise to acknowledge and commend it.
 

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
5,675
0
0
Originally posted by: djheater
Altruism is an important element of the human psyche. In order for society to work will we need to watch out for each other and help each other. Cynically we ten tend not to look for this positive aspect of humanity but it is certainly present and we would be wise to acknowledge and commend it.

ok mr. preacher. ;)
 
Mar 11, 2004
23,070
5,545
146
Originally posted by: Xanis
What the hell is with all of the Good Samaritans lately?

I think you mean, what the hell is with people walking around with tens of thousands of dollars in cash on them, and then losing it.
 

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
36,152
17
81
God damn it, why isn't money laying around when I go out?! I would definitely put that money to good use for personal gain. I mean if the last idiot can't take care of it, I might as well, you know what I'm saying?
 

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
17,571
8
0
Originally posted by: darkswordsman17
Originally posted by: Xanis
What the hell is with all of the Good Samaritans lately?

I think you mean, what the hell is with people walking around with tens of thousands of dollars in cash on them, and then losing it.

That too.
 

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
13,164
3
81
I would have kept it. That kind of change would change my life right now. I work for tips, so I am used to having cash. I would take that 80k and slowly, ever so slowly spend it while saving up my tips and pay.

To be honest, I feel I need it more than Brinks Security needs it. I bet they would get it refunded by the government anyways. Are they protected like banks are? I bet they have some sort of insurance that covers this sort of thing.

It would make my life 1000 easier knowing I can pay rent next month, so why shouldn't I keep it? It's like that episode in Firefly, where they steal medicine from the hospital. The hospital is covered and no one gets hurt. I'll count that as a win.
 

Peelback79

Senior member
Oct 26, 2007
452
0
0
It's just proving that people out there still believe in good and that doing the right thing whether for good karma or eternal glory. Now if I can just get to them before they get to the police..........
 

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
7,629
10
91
Originally posted by: FDF12389
Hasn't this happened to brinks like 3-4 times now?

^^ Seriously. What's with people leaving bags full of cash lying around these days? How the hell do you lose track of a bag worth $80,000?

"Dum de dum... another day at the office... dum de dum... lost $80,000 of company money... dum de dum..."
 

CRXican

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
9,062
1
0
Should have walked out with it. If no one says anything, keep it. If they notice tell them you're taking it to the police.
 

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
46,044
62
91
Originally posted by: Peelback79
It's just proving that people out there still believe in good and that doing the right thing whether for good karma or eternal glory. Now if I can just get to them before they get to the police..........

I believe that finding $80k in cash would be good. That shit would sit in my safe for about a year or two before I'd even think about it.
 

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
36,041
472
126
Are those kinda bills marked??? You know just asking if I ever to happen upon a bag full of money :p
 

FDF12389

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2005
5,234
7
76
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Are those kinda bills marked??? You know just asking if I ever to happen upon a bag full of money :p

No, it was probably money from a ATM drop.
 

FDF12389

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2005
5,234
7
76
Originally posted by: ribbon13
I would have kept some... right up to just under the 'would be noticed' radar. :cool:

Keep it all. Go with a friend to the casino, you put a months salary on black, he places an equal amount on red, unless a 0 or 00 jumps out the one persons losses will equal the others winnings. Give your friend a bit then pay taxes on it and its clean money. Repeat at different casinos. Or just use structured deposits, or just use the cash slowly over the years.
 

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
4,345
1
0
Realistically, how likely is it this guy would have been caught had he kept the money? How would you put 80k cash back into circulation without getting caught? They probably knew the bill #'s.
 

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
30,875
12,381
136
Originally posted by: FDF12389
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Are those kinda bills marked??? You know just asking if I ever to happen upon a bag full of money :p

No, it was probably money from a ATM drop.
bingo!