Burnt Celeron 566

Doubt

Sep 13, 2000
I've bought a Celeron 566 yesterday, and somehow managed to completely
kill it, probably due to bad jumper settings (I doubt this!) on my
FCPGA slotket. Then I looked at the bottom side of the CPU and found a
3mm red/purple dot exactly between the two resistors (or what is it).
I don't know, if it was there already (maybe a sign of my PC store),
or if it's some special dye hidden in the CPU, which bursts out when
the CPU gets overheated and 'burns' (I know, it sounds funny).

What do you think?

P.S.: For your information, the label says:
Q027A201-0594 SL46T, Malay

Nick Stone

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Maybe if you reseat everything (several times if necessary) it will come back to life. I doubt that it died, but something else might have. Put in only the minimum components, don't overclock yet and try again.
Reset Bios if necessary.

IaPuP

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2000
that could be a bubble from you vaporizing a few transistors :)

bad news.....

Eric

Coolie

Aug 17, 2000
I think you got a bad chip. I bought a 566 at a computer show a few weeks ago which had a brownish area in the spot you described. I didn't notice it until after I tried the chip, and wondered if my MB caused it to burn up. Anyway, I took the CPU back, got a refund and bought a 566 in the fs/ft area of this board. Before I tried it I inspected it and there were no discolorations on the underside. It runs like a champ. (I was relieved to find out that it was not my MB which burnt the first cpu).

Abit BM6
566@876
256MB

atomicbomberman

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2000
lol.. get this.. my friend who recently got a 566 burnt his chip and mobo and slotket during a recent LAN party

he was tring to oc it.. so he basically set his slotket voltage jumpter to 1.75 to try to get it to 850.. but well.. he set the jumper wrong.. and instead it gave the cpu 3.5V!!!!!

Yes, he's an idiot. And he read on some stupid review that you should not use the abit softmenu to adjust the voltage.. but only the slotket.

How stupid is that?

atomicbomberman

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2000
lol.. get this.. my friend who recently got a 566 burnt his chip and mobo and slotket during a recent LAN party

he was tring to oc it.. so he basically set his slotket voltage jumpter to 1.75 to try to get it to 850.. but well.. he set the jumper wrong.. and instead it gave the cpu 3.5V!!!!!

Yes, he's an idiot. And he read on some stupid review that you should not use the abit softmenu to adjust the voltage.. but only the slotket.

How stupid is that?

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
whoops!I smoked an asus lx board once,had a loose wire between the vid card and mo/bo.When I pushed down,you should have seen the smoke come out of that thing.And stink...whooo weee.