burning to 8 cd burners at once

unhaiduc

Aug 23, 2004
I'm wondering if i'm going to have any problems with trying to burn an audio cd (off the harddrive) onto 8 lg 52x32x52 cd burners at once

i'll be using a p4p800-e deluxe motherboard, so ive got 4 ide devices from the south bridge, and another 2 from the raid controller, and then i'll also be buying a 2 channel pci ide controller (rocket133 or something else) so i could have upto 10 ide drives

i will either be getting the cm stacker case (supports 8 cdroms) or the thermaltake armor (supports 10 cdroms).. any suggestions on which to get?

the reason i need so many cd burners is because this will be a church audio computer which would record the service, and at the end of the service, would be putting out cds of the sermon, etc for people to take home

its gonna be a p4 3.0E, 1gig ram, seagate 200gb sata ncq system so it should be able to handle it, i would think..

do you guys know if nero or some other burning software would support burning to 8 cd burners at once without problems?

overclock

Apr 28, 2001
I think Nero will only support 4 without a special license.

But about the 8, I don't think it will work. This is why:

1. The PCI bus can't support that much data at once. I've done 2 DVDs at once and that was pushing it.

2. Many PCI IDE controller cards don't support ATAPI devices. Make sure before you buy that it will.

3. Same thing as number 2 for the RAID controller. Is the RAID controller on IDE or SATA? If it is IDE then the possibility of being able to do ATAPI devices is really low. Plextor makes some SATA DVD burners but they aren't cheap.

Good luck. This sounds like a fun project.

ribbon13

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2005
You need Nero Enterprise to do that I believe.

I'd reccomend making all the drives SATA with these and getting two 4-port SATA HBAs unless you can really afford a 8-port.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Yes, as Rib suggested, all the drives should be on a separate IDE channel (SATA drives are each on a separate channel) so 8 separate 80-wire cables would be quite a tangle, but I think I'd rather deal with the tangle than pay extra for superfluous PATA to SATA adapters. IAC, you will need to add some adapter cards and I would choose the standard Syba PATA adapters (<$20. shipped each), one for each pair of drives. Get some round cables to ease the clutter a bit.
. And as others suggested, some version of Nero can handle that many drives at once. There are also specialized softwares to run multiple burners for CD production - just google for them. You will have about 10 or so MHz of bandwidth for each burner (allowing some for the HD (should also be on its own separate IDE channel), which should host the source material for the burning, and other uses). So you should easily be able to run the burners at 16-32x without much problem and that will yield a better quality product anyway. If they had a decent real SCSI burner anymore, you could hang them all off of one SCSI card with one cable. Makes life so much easier...
. Actually there are a couple of SCSI burners out there - check into it. - I found some HP 8x SCSI burners for $20. each...
. And then there is this type of thing: Acard 1>7 Stand-alone duplicator

.bh.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
i saw somthing in tiger direct that made me think of this let me get back to you when i find it.

unhaiduc

Aug 23, 2004
recording biz? lol.. read my post at the top.. its church computer ;)

i just thought of something.. if i get the thermaltake armor case.. that has 10 usable cd drive bays.. and i get myself one of them 1-9 cdrw standalone cd replicator controller.. and build my 'cd replication system' into the case.. but it would not be connected to the motherboard or anything.. that way i could use the same powersupply.. a 500w or something.. or would a 450w be enough?

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004
Personally, I would put the MP3 or WAV file out on the church website for download and let the folks download it and burn it themselves if they want to :) Considering how long it takes to put in 10 blank CDRs, burn the file, remove, distribute, and setup for another 10, letting people just download the file later seems to make more sense to me <shrug>

R

V00D00

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
It won't work.... at least it won't work well.

If you want to do that many burns at once you SHOULD defineatly invest in SCSI drives.

Duplication towers you see with this many drives have very specific hardware in them that is tailored to do just that. With all the inconsistencies between burning this much stuff off 3 separate busses within the computer, you're probably going to be burning a LOT of coasters.

You will have to spend more to get SCSI, but it will pay off with flawless burns every time.

after scrolling up a bit i had a revelation
buy that thing on ebay and save yourself a lot of headaches. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...m&category=31509&item=5181468235&rd=1)

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
And you can often find things that are selling on Buy It Now listings for less using Froogle, etc. Particularly less for shipping. Yup, I found it for $158. at http://www.memorylabs.com w/ free shipping...

Use Codegen S-101 case that has room for 2 PSUs. Often two smaller PSUs are much cheaper than one large one.

.bh.

unhaiduc

Aug 23, 2004
thx for everyone's advice

in the end we decided to just get a separate cd duplicator to be sure that we won't have problems (ide channels, power, multi-tasking, etc).. it also saved us a bit of money.. no need for a 500w ps and a full tower.. we ended up getting the antec sonata

just in case anyone else is in the same place i was/am.. make sure you get a second harddrive for temporary files (adobe audition seems to like making a copy to do just about anything.. and when ur working with 1-2gig wav files.. a 2-3min delay is annoying especially when time is a factor)