Burner USB or Firewire?

Horsepower

Oct 9, 1999
Ordered a Plextor PX708UF and was wondering if there are recommendations about the interface. USB2 seems funky on my D875PBZ at times, but only through the front ports, and this will connect to the back. I know the speeds are similar, but how about reliability? Thank you.

EeyoreX

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2002
I can't imagine there being a significant difference in "reliability" here.

\Dan

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I have both. In just about all cases, I have found Firewire to be more reliable than USB - which occasionally goes on "vacation." Firewire is much more mature technology - being derived from the SCSI II to SCSI III system. There was a time when XP (before SP1) would not support USB2 at all - but it has always supported Firewire. It's a little more bullet proof.

Sheriff

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2001
I bought a Case which handles both features and put an Optical in as ATAPI speeds won't exceed either protocal and at times when I hook up to OP's Computers I need the USB.

Horsepower

Oct 9, 1999
Thanx for the answers. I hooked it USB, and if it goes on "vacation" I will use firewire. With my old USB burner, it would sometimes not be shown as a burner, then I would have to reboot and/or connect/reconnect.

xizor

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2000
I have a firewire/usb combo enclosure and have never gotten CD ripping to work w/ firewire. I use it for burning and its great, but I switch to USB to rip CD's.

Horsepower

Oct 9, 1999
OK Same situation on this new one. I do not power it on unless I need it, and it requires a reboot with it powered on to be recognized.