Burner not burning

imported_Lucifer

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2004
Hello,

I am having a problem with my burner. Its a Yamaha external SCSI 4x4x16 burner. It wont burn cd's at all. I had it connected to the SCSI chain I have. Here is whats going on.

I put a cd in the burner. I open Toast Titanium, and drag some data onto the window. Then, I click record. So when it is beginning the burning process, I get this error:

"The drive reported an error:
Sense Key=HARDWARE ERROR
Sense Code=0x09, 0x02
FOCUS SERVO FAILURE."

I thought it may have something to do with the chain. So I connect the external burner to my computer by itself. I try to burn the same cd, and I get the same error, except some parts of the error is different. Sometimes it will say:

"The drive reported an error:
Sense Key=HARDWARE ERROR
Sense Code=0x09
TRACKING SERVO FAILURE."

Then, a friend of mine told me to try slower media, which I dont have. Also, when I purchased the burner from my friend, she had an empty Sony CD-R 48x cd, so she must have been burning using these cd's. So I decided to try the Sony cd, and see if it works. And it didn't. Same error. Not only that, when the cd is failed to be written, the drive dies, until I turn the power button off, and turn it back on. When I say it dies, the eject button doesnt work. I have to manually push the tray closed. Then when I want to open the tray by pressing the eject button, it doesnt open. So I turn the drive off, and then turn it back on, which brings it back to life. But of course, I still cant burn cd's.

Any idea whats going on? Could the drive be bad?

Thanks for looking, and sorry for the long post.

tiap

Mar 22, 2001
The faster rated yhe disc, the better, but set the burn speed in the software to 1x and try. This old a burner doesn't use burn proof but should have no trouble keeping data stream in scsi.
Download free dvdinfopro (free) and run the tests. If I remember correctly there were a lot of problems with the old Yamaha burners.

imported_Lucifer

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2004
Originally posted by: tiap
The faster rated yhe disc, the better, but set the burn speed in the software to 1x and try. This old a burner doesn't use burn proof but should have no trouble keeping data stream in scsi.
Download free dvdinfopro (free) and run the tests. If I remember correctly there were a lot of problems with the old Yamaha burners.

dvdinfopro only works for Windows. I am using a Mac. Thanks for helping. Also, I tried burning at 1x, and I get the same error.

If you run SiSoftSanra it will tell you - oh wait a minute - no software is written for a Mac, oops.

Bozo Galora, I can tell you dont use a Mac, and to make the assumption that no software is written for a Mac is just idiotic. This is not true and I can prove it. If you are going to post comments like this, please dont even bother posting in my thread.

Why would you put an antique on a new computer?

The reason I am using this "antique" is because I dont have the money at the moment to buy a new external burner. Not only that, it came with the computer when I purchased it. I will however, purchase an external DVD burner later on.

My friend said the burner was working when she had it. Also, I dont think this drive is a moldy old PC drive. It was purchased from ClubMac.

Thanks guys.
Anymore help?

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
It sounds like the drive itself is likely bad. I can't suggest any diagonstics programs, as I don't know Mac software at all, and not likely many people on here do..

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
It's not a burner if it can't burn. I actually had one of those drives for my Powermac 7500 back in the days. Was a good reliable burner at the time but I think it's time to move on. Why don't you simply replace that internal drive in the G4 with a $30 LiteOn? I think it should still allow booting off MacOS CD's.

imported_Lucifer

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2004
Hey guys,

I appreciate your responses.

Deathkoba, the reason I wont replace the internal drive in the G4 because it is a DVD ROM drive. I want to keep that! :p I think I will replace the Yamaha 4x burner. Its in an external case, so I can just replace that drive in there. I guess I will just get that 30 dollar lite on cd rw drive. Are they any good though?

Thanks!

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
You're not going to be able to put that drive in that external case as it's a SCSI drive right? You'll need to get a firewire enclosure instead.
There are also $50 combo DVDROM/CDRW drives that MAY work in the G4. I am not sure about this but I do know that Toast supports the LiteON drives fully and perhaps with OS X, Apple may have removed the prior firmware limitations that didn't allow CD booting with non-Apple drives.

imported_Lucifer

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2004
Hi deathkoba,

Yes, the external burner is a SCSI drive. So the drive in the SCSI case is most likely a SCSI drive, am I correct?

I do have space for another drive in my G4, right below the DVD ROM drive. I might as well but a DVD burner in there.

I am going to try to get my friend to knock off some money for the G4 purchase, since the drive is dead.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
The error you are getting means the servo motor (thingy that spins the disc and moves the laser up, down and sideways) in the burner is bad. If you need another scsi mac burner pm me. I have several just collecting dust.

imported_Lucifer

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2004
Burner fixed. We changed the cables around in the chain and we changed the SCSI id number on the burner, and the burner works now.