Burisma, Hunter, Bribery, Crack cocaine, etc

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I am fortunate my intelligence separated me so far from the world around me as a young child. If it did not, it would not have bred in me such an intense hate for it. I fear without that, I would not be talking with you today with recognition that pride is the deadliest of all sins.

It's not clear to me in that sentence if the referent for the bolded "it" is "the world around me" or "my intelligence". Either way I don't really grasp the meaning, though it seems like it would be different in each case.

Also, in this post, you seem to have turned into Moonbeam!

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Again, the claim that he did not condemn white-supremacists is false. I also agree that he is a blathering, incoherent, idiot who contradicts himself but that is beside the point. fskimospy asked for an example of dirty tricks and I obliged. The claim that he failed to condemn white-supremacists and called them "very fine people" is verifiably false.

...and, again, if you thought Trump was mocking the reporter's disability, you are demonstrably wrong and you demonstrably did fall for another lie. I used the word "demonstrably" before but you continued to deny it ("wrong") so I guess I'll have to demonstrate:

Clearly, that is how he routinely characterizes others as flusterednand stumbling over their words to respond to him.

It doesn't matter if you never cared for the video. What mattered is that you thought video proof of him doing it existed and made a post assuming it did. It even illicited agreement from fskimospy. It perfectly demonstrates that the hoax AKA "dirty trick" is still alive and well. You were tricked into perpetuating it so I was not "wrong" to say that you fell for it.

Time for a little self-reflection, I hope.

The trouble with that defense is that even if that's what it is, at the very least it's grossly insensitive to blithely go into your usual schtick for 'characterizing others as flustered' without stopping to think how that looks when the person you are characterising has such a disability. It's not a great deal better than actively mocking. At a minimum it shows a lack of thought. I prefer Presidents who think.

And that wasn't a "hoax" in any usual meaning of the word. It was an entirely predictable borderline-interpretation of a typical bit of Trumpian thoughtlessness. Calling it a 'hoax' is itself a hoax.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I am guessing this was first pitched to fox and they took a pass? I am sure a tabloid wasn't the first choice.
I imagine they pitched it to everyone. It would clearly be a better story if the NYT, Washington Post, or WSJ ran it. You end up with a tabloid because nobody else is interested.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I agree. Trump downplaying this deserves severe criticism, but so often the criticism devolves into "he called it a hoax!" when he definitely didn't.
at best trump's statement was ambiguous (and plenty of trump's audience certainly came away thinking the virus itself was a hoax), but when you look at what the democrats were saying about trump's response, it becomes clear that he actually was calling the virus itself a hoax. because national democrats hadn't yet been ramping up the panic, which is the thrust of that statement if you view the democrats' response as the hoax.

it's much like his good people on both sides statement that you're defending. yes, on paper, it seems like he's not calling the KKK and neo-nazis good people. but then you realize one side was nothing but KKK and neo-nazis. well, not you you, because clearly you're still buying into the bullshit.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don’t agree - the same impulses that restrain civil conflict now will continue even if liberals adopt the same basic stance as conservatives. If you mean war in that we will have a low grade civil conflict where political violence becomes more normal I sadly do agree there but I think that’s already baked in.

Again though, if the idea is that we only resist fascism when it’s too late to matter out of a high minded ideal I find that ideal not high minded at all, considering the horrors it enables.

Why do you say my advice isn't intended as instruction to resist fascism? Fascism is incompatible with a country who loves those who differ regardless.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
When Rudy admits they pushed this out in the Post because other outlets would do their own investigation (you know journalism) instead of just regurgitating what he's fed them the game is kind of up.

Yeah, that's quite a damning quote. Maybe it's The Zinoviev Email?

Still, though, it seems in the "undecided" category to me. Sadly, it probably won't be cleared up till after the election is over, if at all.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
It's not clear to me in that sentence if the referent for the bolded "it" is "the world around me" or "my intelligence". Either way I don't really grasp the meaning, though it seems like it would be different in each case.

Also, in this post, you seem to have turned into Moonbeam!

I have spent countless hours listening to people with profuse delusions because I see in them the humanity others so readily discard. Real, honest, profusely blemished, naked, ugly humanity is the most beautiful thing I have ever appreciated. I do not hate it and never have.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
at best trump's statement was ambiguous (and plenty of trump's audience certainly came away thinking the virus itself was a hoax), but when you look at what the democrats were saying about trump's response, it becomes clear that he actually was calling the virus itself a hoax. because national democrats hadn't yet been ramping up the panic, which is the thrust of that statement if you view the democrats' response as the hoax.

it's much like his good people on both sides statement that you're defending. yes, on paper, it seems like he's not calling the KKK and neo-nazis good people. but then you realize one side was nothing but KKK and neo-nazis. well, not you you, because clearly you're still buying into the bullshit.

Exactly but we are now relitigating something was always known. No good people march alongside others who chant Jews will not replace us and who carry nazi flags.

Believing they do is as crazy as believe this tabloid article on hunter involving rudy and bannon is true.

Reactions: Meghan54 and pmv

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Yes. I am not a fan of Trump's response to Coronavirus. I'm not a fan of Trump. I voted against him. Doesn't change the fact that it is a dirty trick to go on claiming that he called it a hoax.

Clearly, fskimospy asked what dirty tricks there were against Donald Trump and clearly that was one of them making it an appropriate answer to his question. It doesn't mean I am defending Trump's Coronavirus response.

The orange slimeball did state:
"It is only a few people coming from China, and in a few days it will be none"
"we will be reopening by Easter"
Several of his stupid statements I watched directly, or listened to them directly, so unless the audio / video streams were hacked on the fly, he clearly said it.

I am sure you have already watched this one, right?

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
Yeah plan on a major bomb wishing 72 hours of Election Day.
It seems depressingly plausible that this is the planned (and planted) end-game:

It's an established part of Putin's playbook:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You have set yourself up for a fall, in my opinion. When you see the world as full of enemies and haters of the truth, anything of which you may be in error of yourself you will resist as if it were death. So you attack attack attack and by doing so get put down by those you attack. In this way you keep alive your struggle with error you imagine to be all around you.

I want you to know that I wish I were not like that, not somebody who will put you down for holding ideas that I find wanting. I have had plenty of those in my life, enough to know I am very likely still full of them. So let me just say that we are Brothers on the path. And where we are on that path, where you are for me, is irrelevant. My path is straight ahead and so is yours and they both lead to greater understanding. Let us share then the idea there is one truth and it covers us all and if I can't wish you a good journey I will stand still myself. We are all the same.
Well, you said well enough and for once you took the time, did us the service, of rereading your post (I assume!) and making sure the sentences were well constructed and grammatically correct. Most of your posts fall far short of that, if you don't mind my saying. I'm sure I make mistakes too, but I often reread my posts before hitting [POST REPLY]. Many here, and sometimes it seems like most, don't trouble themselves with weeding out the errors in their posts, it's very true.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
How can the characterization of Trump's response to the virus be a hoax? It might (eroneously IMO, at least what I have seen and heard, and that's a lot) be called a mischaracterization, but a hoax, hardly. TBH the man appears to be fully incapable of not offending me... consistently. And yes, I'm sure he did say it was a hoax. Just saying it was like a common cold for nearly everyone was tantamount to calling the way it was being portrayed in the media a hoax. Please, the man's the definition of duplicity. I avoid him like the plague, with 2 exceptions, the two head to head debates. I hope (and pretty much expect) Biden to mop the floor with him Thursday.

Reactions: pmv

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I agree it is sad. These are meaningless distractions.
If the President felt he was quoted wrong regarding very fine people he could clearly state what he meant or god forbid apologize for choosing confusing words.
If the President felt his words regarding the danger of Corona virus were misunderstood, he could have clarified them and choose more specific words.

He has not.
He's fully incapable. He's confoundingly lacking in eloquent usage of the English language. He can't clarify himself. He doesn't know his own mind, which makes the proposition ludicrous to begin with.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
How can the characterization of Trump's response to the virus be a hoax? It might (eroneously IMO, at least what I have seen and heard, and that's a lot) be called a mischaracterization, but a hoax, hardly. TBH the man appears to be fully incapable of not offending me... consistently. And yes, I'm sure he did say it was a hoax. Just saying it was like a common cold for nearly everyone was tantamount to calling the way it was being portrayed in the media a hoax. Please, the man's the definition of duplicity. I avoid him like the plague, with 2 exceptions, the two head to head debates. I hope (and pretty much expect) Biden to mop the floor with him Thursday.

Yeah, exactly - even if one interprets Trump's (as usual) very confused diction as an attempt to declare that characterisation of his weak response to the virus to be a 'hoax', that's just not the right word. How would that fit the definition of 'hoax' even if you were to claim it wasn't accurate? You'd say 'misrepresentation' or 'unfair depiction' or 'inaccurate account', not 'hoax', if that's what you meant. What he did was throw around the word 'hoax' in close proximity to references to the pandemic - what did he think people would take away from that? Supporters and opponents alike?

At some point he needs to be accorded responsibility for his own inability (or unwillingness) to formulate coherent sentences and make clear arguments.

Somehow the US right have come to valorise incoherent speech and confused thought as some sort of marker of political virtue. Trump is the worst yet - but Dubya, Bush snr, and even Reagan (despite the brilliant Peggy Noonan's best efforts) were all in that same tradition. In fact I guess it goes back to at least Warren G Harding ("The only man, woman or child who wrote a simple declarative sentence with seven grammatical errors is dead." - ee cummings didn't anticipate Trump...or Palin...or Dubya)

• Love
Reactions: Muse

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
good grief got proof or just rachel maddow sound bites?
If you bother to recall during impeachment hearing there was testimony from SEVERAL source that this was Russian propaganda

Testimony. I got this myself and not from Maddow

• Haha
Reactions: Luna1968

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
see this is why i dont visit this forum anymore. its a cesspool. these emails are100% real and 100% corruption at the highest level. selling time with the VP and proof getting paid for it. wow you liberals in here need to pull your head out of your ass and see reality. Your gods are the definition of corruption. here is a new one selling time with the VP for 10 million... lol he needs to be in jail along with daddy.

At any time did you complain about Trump funneling millions of government money to his companies. Remember Trump is President.

Do you even care about corruption or is this your way of tarnishing Biden using his son?

Reactions: hal2kilo and pmv

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Yeah, exactly - even if one interprets Trump's (as usual) very confused diction as an attempt to declare that characterisation of his weak response to the virus to be a 'hoax', that's just not the right word. How would that fit the definition of 'hoax' even if you were to claim it wasn't accurate? You'd say 'misrepresentation' or 'unfair depiction' or 'inaccurate account', not 'hoax', if that's what you meant. What he did was throw around the word 'hoax' in close proximity to references to the pandemic - what did he think people would take away from that? Supporters and opponents alike?

At some point he needs to be accorded responsibility for his own inability (or unwillingness) to formulate coherent sentences and make clear arguments.

Somehow the US right have come to valorise incoherent speech and confused thought as some sort of marker of political virtue. Trump is the worst yet - but Dubya, Bush snr, and even Reagan (despite the brilliant Peggy Noonan's best efforts) were all in that same tradition. In fact I guess it goes back to at least Warren G Harding ("The only man, woman or child who wrote a simple declarative sentence with seven grammatical errors is dead." - ee cummings didn't anticipate Trump...or Palin...or Dubya)

I wonder if Trump's use of the word 'hoax' is a clumsy attempt at "accuse your opponents of what you're guilty of".

Reactions: Muse and hal2kilo

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Even NY Post writers think the article was shit. No one wanted to put their name on the byline.

"It's not something that meets my journalistic standards," one Post reporter told New York Magazine. Another Post reporter called it "very flimsy," adding that the article "just makes you cringe and roll your eyes, and it's hard to stomach, but at the same time we kind of know that you're signing up for stuff like that. ... It's disappointing. It sucks to, like, work for, like, a propaganda outlet."

Yep, read that last sentence.

Last edited:

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
well well well. lookie here. what other diversion will you liberals come up with to protect your boys.?

Director Of National Intelligence Confirms Hunter Biden Laptop ‘Not Part Of Some Russian Disinformation Campaign’

Is this a joke? Does literally anybody give a shit what some lying Trump stooge says? The admin has burned all credibility to anyone with a brain (apparently not you)

Reactions: pmv

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
well well well. lookie here. what other diversion will you liberals come up with to protect your boys.?

Director Of National Intelligence Confirms Hunter Biden Laptop ‘Not Part Of Some Russian Disinformation Campaign’

Who's that, then?

Oh, it seems, some Republican politician and Trump political appointee. Right. Trump's guys support Trump. Clearly that settles the matter.

And LOL at the dishonesty of that word 'confirms', as if the opinion of a Trumpist is somehow 'proof' in itself. A more honest source would have said 'claims' or 'insists'. I don't know what DailyWire is, but from that casual dishonsty in the headline I am guessing it's not a reputable source.

Reactions: Muse

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Who's that, then?

Oh, it seems, some Republican politician and Trump political appointee. Right. Trump's guys support Trump. Clearly that settles the matter.
It’s funny that they still expect us to treat government officials as impartial fact finders after Trump fired everyone who acted as an impartial fact finder.

All that aside, even if everything is 100% true there’s still not a single, solitary thing that shows misconduct by Joe Biden.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
A Daily Wire report on an interview on Bartiromo's show with the guy who insisted that, "The Mueller report and its conclusions weren’t from Robert Mueller. They were written by what a lot of people believe was Hillary Clinton’s de facto legal team, people that had supported her, even represented some of her aides.”?

[insert excessive haha's here]

• Haha
Reactions: skyking