Burisma, Hunter, Bribery, Crack cocaine, etc

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'd ask if this was a joke except you already said you were serious.

"Very fine people" hoax.

"Trump called Coronavirus a hoax" hoax.

"Trump made fun of a reporter's disability" hoax.

Ukraine scandal duplicity.

Need I go on?

I'm no Trump fan and I voted against him but to act like the opposition didn't lose their minds when he was elected and resort to dirty tricks reflects poorly on you. Are you asking disengenuous questions with obvious answers or is your perspective genuinely this skewed/warped?

Trump went from a reality show star and birther conspiracy nut to a Nazi white-supremacist almost overnight and no one questions it. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms and we only hurt our credibility as critics when we double-down on lies and tribal tricks.
I’m confused - is this a joke? I ask because none of the things you mentioned are examples of dirty tricks, they are examples of things Trump did. At their absolute worst they are things Trump may not have meant but were reasonable inferences from what he said or did.

If you genuinely think these are examples of dirty tricks played against Trump I think you need to take your own advice. As a quick example the coronavirus hoax:

He exactly said that. Now later he said he meant something else but that’s irrelevant.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I'd ask if this was a joke except you already said you were serious.

"Very fine people" hoax.

Ukraine scandal duplicity.

Need I go on?

I'm no Trump fan and I voted against him but to act like the opposition didn't lose their minds when he was elected and resort to dirty tricks reflects poorly on you. Are you asking disengenuous questions with obvious answers or is your perspective genuinely this skewed/warped?

Trump went from a reality show star and birther conspiracy nut to a Nazi white-supremacist almost overnight and no one questions it. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms and we only hurt our credibility as critics when we double-down on lies and tribal tricks.

All presidents come under extreme scrutiny even the ones that don't constantly lie. Trump isn't capable of taking criticism and has tried to run the country like he is a dictator.

Plus
"Very fine people" hoax.?
So the good people on both sides speech was kosher with you?

trump has constantly downplayed Covid 19 and intentionally lied to the public about it and this is a fact. His handling of Covid has for sure aided in the spread of misinformation like it only like the common cold.

I thought I saw a video but may be mistaken

Ukraine scandal duplicity. - sending rudy to ukraine and having US government officials aid him in finding dirt on your political opponent is duplicitous. Got it.

Reactions: Muse

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
good grief got proof or just rachel maddow sound bites?
You have set yourself up for a fall, in my opinion. When you see the world as full of enemies and haters of the truth, anything of which you may be in error of yourself you will resist as if it were death. So you attack attack attack and by doing so get put down by those you attack. In this way you keep alive your struggle with error you imagine to be all around you.

I want you to know that I wish I were not like that, not somebody who will put you down for holding ideas that I find wanting. I have had plenty of those in my life, enough to know I am very likely still full of them. So let me just say that we are Brothers on the path. And where we are on that path, where you are for me, is irrelevant. My path is straight ahead and so is yours and they both lead to greater understanding. Let us share then the idea there is one truth and it covers us all and if I can't wish you a good journey I will stand still myself. We are all the same.

Reactions: Muse

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
All presidents come under extreme scrutiny even the ones that don't constantly lie. Trump isn't capable of taking criticism and has tried to run the country like he is a dictator.

Plus
"Very fine people" hoax.?

trump has constantly downplayed Covid 19 and intentionally lied to the public about it and this is a fact. His handling of Covid has for sure aided in the spread of misinformation like it only like the common cold.

Ukraine scandal duplicity. - sending rudy to ukraine and having US government officials aid him in finding dirt on your political opponent is duplicitous. Got it.
Yeah it’s weird that he seems to think criticizing Trump for things that he’s on tape doing or that there is voluminous evidence for is the same as Rudy Giuliani working with Russian intelligence.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah it’s weird that he seems to think criticizing Trump for things that he’s on tape doing or that there is voluminous evidence for is the same as Rudy Giuliani working with Russian intelligence.

Here you sit attacking your fellow American because they cannot treat with this the way you do. If you are truly my friend, I ask you to entertain this question as honestly as you are able. To take it as seriously as you possibly can, to allow yourself to be naked in your own eyes and see past the shame for but one second to look beyond yourself and toward the truth.

My question is this: in fighting your fellow Americans, are you doing what Putin wants of you?

I have asked myself that and have come up with only one solution, a blissful end to all this nonsense, a solution all of us can grasp and put to effect if we so choose. A kryptonite Putin cannot overcome.

Love thy neighbor.

Reactions: ivwshane

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Trump isn't a politician, he's a straight shooter and means what he says. Except all these times he didn't really mean what he said.
"your job? figure out when he meant it and when he didn't"
Like Carlin's bit about playing spy at the airport as a kid. There's a spy at the airport. Your job? find him. :)

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Here you sit attacking your fellow American because they cannot treat with this the way you do. If you are truly my friend, I ask you to entertain this question as honestly as you are able. To take it as seriously as you possibly can, to allow yourself to be naked in your own eyes and see past the shame for but one second to look beyond yourself and toward the truth.

My question is this: in fighting your fellow Americans, are you doing what Putin wants of you?

I have asked myself that and have come up with only one solution, a blissful end to all this nonsense, a solution all of us can grasp and put to effect if we so choose. A kryptonite Putin cannot overcome.

Love thy neighbor.

Understandably, that is easier said than done.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Love thy neighbor.
Well I’m not sure if we are friends but I do respect your intelligence and honesty! I hear what you’re saying, I really do. I have thought a lot about this precisely because I don’t think there is a good answer.

You’re absolutely right that at least one of Putin’s primary goals is to sow division in the US. That being said, I don’t think I was particularly mean to him, just pointing out the absurdity of his position where taking uncharitable interpretations of someone’s public statements is similar to (likely) working with hostile foreign intelligence services.

As far as Trump supporters go though, which he is not, there’s always a vital question - at what point do they become a sufficient threat that you DO need to stand up? I think a lot about this excerpt from a book written by someone who witnessed Germany descend into Nazism. It’s a pretty famous passage and so you may be familiar with it. I won’t say it exactly maps on to our current situation but it sure as hell rhymes.

Each act, each occasion, is worse than the last, but only a little worse. You wait for the next and the next. You wait for one great shocking occasion, thinking that others, when such a shock comes, will join with you in resisting somehow. You don’t want to act, or even talk, alone; you don’t want to ‘go out of your way to make trouble.’ Why not?-Well, you are not in the habit of doing it. And it is not just fear, fear of standing alone, that restrains you; it is also genuine uncertainty. Uncertainty is a very important factor, and, instead of decreasing as time goes on, it grows. Outside, in the streets, in the general community, ‘everyone’ is happy. One hears no protest, and certainly sees none. You know, in France or Italy there would be slogans against the government painted on walls and fences; in Germany, outside the great cities, perhaps, there is not even this. In the university community, in your own community, you speak privately to your colleagues, some of whom certainly feel as you do; but what do they say? They say, ‘It’s not so bad’ or ‘You’re seeing things’ or ‘You’re an alarmist.’

And you are an alarmist. You are saying that this must lead to this, and you can’t prove it. These are the beginnings, yes; but how do you know for sure when you don’t know the end, and how do you know, or even surmise, the end? On the one hand, your enemies, the law, the regime, the Party, intimidate you. On the other, your colleagues pooh-pooh you as pessimistic or even neurotic. You are left with your close friends, who are, naturally, people who have always thought as you have….

But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands will join with you, never comes. That’s the difficulty. If the last and worst act of the whole regime had come immediately after the first and smallest, thousands, yes, millions would have been sufficiently shocked-if, let us say, the gassing of the Jews in ’43 had come immediately after the ‘German Firm’ stickers on the windows of non-Jewish shops in ’33. But of course this isn’t the way it happens. In between come all the hundreds of little steps, some of them imperceptible, each of them preparing you not to be shocked by the next. Step C is not so much worse than Step B, and, if you did not make a stand at Step B, why should you at Step C? And so on to Step D.

And one day, too late, your principles, if you were ever sensible of them, all rush in upon you. The burden of self-deception has grown too heavy, and some minor incident, in my case my little boy, hardly more than a baby, saying ‘Jewish swine,’ collapses it all at once, and you see that everything, everything, has changed and changed completely under your nose. The world you live in-your nation, your people-is not the world you were born in at all. The forms are all there, all untouched, all reassuring, the houses, the shops, the jobs, the mealtimes, the visits, the concerts, the cinema, the holidays. But the spirit, which you never noticed because you made the lifelong mistake of identifying it with the forms, is changed. Now you live in a world of hate and fear, and the people who hate and fear do not even know it themselves; when everyone is transformed, no one is transformed. Now you live in a system which rules without responsibility even to God. The system itself could not have intended this in the beginning, but in order to sustain itself it was compelled to go all the way.”
So while I agree with you in principle I think there is also a threat here. At what point do we act?

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Understandably, that is easier said than done.

All anyone can do is follow it themselves and spread the message. I worry yet for America's fate, but that is not in my hands. The only thing that might be is my own neighbor's hand. Thank you for holding it if only for a moment. Reach out to your other neighbors and see if they will do the same. If it is not enough in the end, at least we will have each other's company, and that is all I have ever wanted anyway.

Feb 4, 2009
see this is why i dont visit this forum anymore. its a cesspool. these emails are100% real and 100% corruption at the highest level. selling time with the VP and proof getting paid for it. wow you liberals in here need to pull your head out of your ass and see reality. Your gods are the definition of corruption. here is a new one selling time with the VP for 10 million... lol he needs to be in jail along with daddy.

What’s your thoughts on our current President doing the same fucking thing?
BTW don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out. You won’t be missed.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Well I’m not sure if we are friends but I do respect your intelligence and honesty! I hear what you’re saying, I really do. I have thought a lot about this precisely because I don’t think there is a good answer.

You’re absolutely right that at least one of Putin’s primary goals is to sow division in the US. That being said, I don’t think I was particularly mean to him, just pointing out the absurdity of his position where taking uncharitable interpretations of someone’s public statements is similar to (likely) working with hostile foreign intelligence services.

As far as Trump supporters go though, which he is not, there’s always a vital question - at what point do they become a sufficient threat that you DO need to stand up? I think a lot about this excerpt from a book written by someone who witnessed Germany descend into Nazism. It’s a pretty famous passage and so you may be familiar with it. I won’t say it exactly maps on to our current situation but it sure as hell rhymes.

I am fortunate my intelligence separated me so far from the world around me as a young child. If it did not, it would not have bred in me such an intense hate for it. I fear without that, I would not be talking with you today with recognition that pride is the deadliest of all sins.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I’m confused - is this a joke? I ask because none of the things you mentioned are examples of dirty tricks, they are examples of things Trump did. At their absolute worst they are things Trump may not have meant but were reasonable inferences from what he said or did.

If you genuinely think these are examples of dirty tricks played against Trump I think you need to take your own advice. As a quick example the coronavirus hoax:

He exactly said that. Now later he said he meant something else but that’s irrelevant.

You aren't winning anyone over by lying to yourself.

The "dirty trick" is to say that Trump called white supremacists "very fine people" and refused to condemn them. Not only did he condemn them in the very same response, he clarified that "very fine people" did not refer to the Neo-Nazi white-supremacists... also in the same response. There is simply no excuse for your continued support of this hoax.

Regarding the hoax that Trump called COVID-19 a hoax... we already had this conversation in a Coronavirus thread and I recall your friends eventually being fired to admit that he did not call the virus a hoax... but what he actually said apparently didn't matter because he said it in a way that people could distort and that was damning enough.

Starts at 3:48

You have no excuse: Watch the video with full context and tell me what the noun "this" referred to in "This is their new hoax."

I'll give you a hint: It wasn't "the virus." He'd already taken many concrete actions against the virus at that point including travel bans and buying up PPE. He's rambling and babbling but he certainly wasn't calling the virus he restricted travel for a hoax.

Very dishonest people. Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus. ... We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ ... They tried the impeachment hoax. ... And this is their new hoax. But you know, we did something that’s been pretty amazing.

Despite his rambling mess, that should make it clear. He's calling their characterization of how he was "doing" with his "great job" on the Coronavirus response a "hoax." The word "this" is the "Oh, not good, not good." characterization of his coronavirus response... not the virus itself.

It's understandable that his babbling was incomprehensible to many people but there is no excuse for you to go on claiming something so thoroughly debunked when it's been laid out for you this clearly. You only hurt your own credibility. Your link is an example of the very "dirty trick" you deny happened.

Donald Trump called their characterization of his Coronavirus response a hoax. Period. Do the right thing and decide, right now, that you will not ignore the truth and perpetuate the hoax. Be a better person.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

The "dirty trick" is to say that Trump called white supremacists "very fine people" and refused to condemn them. Not only did he condemn them in the very same response, he clarified that "very fine people" did not refer to the Neo-Nazi white-supremacists... also in the same response. There is simply no excuse for your continued support of this hoax.
Once again I suggest you take your own advice. I’m not sure if you’re pretending to be ignorant of these things in the hope that we won’t notice that you’re lying or if you are genuinely this ignorant.

The Unite the Right rally that he was referring to was a rally explicitly created by whites supremacists! So if your argument is that Trump was saying ‘I think all the non white suprematists marching in the white supremacist rally were very fine people’ then this is just forehead slapping stupidity.

Regarding the hoax that Trump called COVID-19 a hoax... we already had this conversation in a Coronavirus thread and I recall your friends eventually being fired to admit that he did not call the virus a hoax... but what he actually said apparently didn't matter because he said it in a way that people could distort and that was damning enough.

You have no excuse: Watch the video with full context and tell me what the noun "this" referred to in "This is their new hoax."

I'll give you a hint: It wasn't "the virus." He'd already taken many concrete actions against the virus at that point including travel bans and buying up PPE. He's rambling and babbling but he certainly wasn't calling the virus he restricted travel for a hoax.

Despite his rambling mess, that should make it clear. He's calling their characterization of how he was "doing" with his "great job" on the Coronavirus response a "hoax." The word "this" is the "Oh, not good, not good." characterization of his coronavirus response... not the virus itself.

It's understandable that his babbling was incomprehensible to many people but there is no excuse for you to go on claiming something so thoroughly debunked when it's been laid out for you this clearly. You only hurt your own credibility. Your link is an example of the very "dirty trick" you deny happened.

Donald Trump called their characterization of his Coronavirus response a hoax. Period. Do the right thing and decide, right now, that you will not ignore the truth and perpetuate the hoax. Be a better person.
I already linked a fact check on it so I don’t know why you’re trying to persist with this. Their interpretation was entirely reasonable, if uncharitable. The idea that you would try to equate something that happens every day in politics with the sort of collusion Trump has repeatedly done with the Russians beggars belief.

I genuinely hope you gain some perspective and understanding here because this is just embarrassing.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
So claiming he did not denounce white-supremacists when he did is kosher with you?

I agree. Doesn't change the fact that he very specifically called the characterization of his response a hoax and not the virus, despite continued claims that he called the virus a hoax. Accept it.

You saw a video and made assumptions, just like the Covington Catholic kids. In the video Trump made the same mocking mannerisms and voices he has used to mock Ted Cruz and numerous others. It's demonstrably how he portrays someone as flustered when impersonating them and has nothing to do with mocking a disability. There's even a supercut of it out there.

Furthermore, the man's disability is that he can barely move, not that he has spasms like Trump was demonstrating. He claims to have not known anything about the man's disability despite actually meeting him in the past but, well, Trump meets a lot of people and likely had no recollection of who that man was other than what that man had recently said about him.

You fell for another lie.

No. There are many "if so... so what?" type statements in this very thread the represent the duplicity I'm talking about.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
You too.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I am fortunate my intelligence separated me so far from the world around me as a young child. If it did not, it would not have bred in me such an intense hate for it. I fear without that, I would not be talking with you today with recognition that pride is the deadliest of all sins.
At what point do you think people are compelled to act?

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017

Here, I will save you from having to listen to trump:

Here is what he said:
“Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus, you know that, right?” he said. “Coronavirus, they’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa.”

So he is right trump didn't say it was a hoax but what he did do is worse. His plan has/is to do nothing but downplay and spread misinformation. The criticism to his response has and continues to be more than justified. He intentionally deceived the American public and anyone thinking he did that to stop panic is wrong. He didn't want the stock market to tank and and get in the way of his reelection. trump doesn't care about anyone but himself.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Once again I suggest you take your own advice. I’m not sure if you’re pretending to be ignorant of these things in the hope that we won’t notice that you’re lying or if you are genuinely this ignorant.
There you go again. Tell me: How can you possibly deny these "dirty tricks" while you perpetuate them?

The Unite the Right rally that he was referring to was a rally explicitly created by whites supremacists! So if your argument is that Trump was saying ‘I think all the non white suprematists marching in the white supremacist rally were very fine people’ then this is just forehead slapping stupidity.
This is shameful.

"Both sides" does not mean white-supremacists and anti-white-supremacists. He could not have been clearer about that when he said ""There were very fine people on both sides, & I'm not talking about the Neo-nazis and white supremacists because they should be condemned totally."

He was obviously talking about people supporting the statue and people opposing it. You are the one inferring a subject that is completely incompatible with the words that were actually spoken.

Regardless. The "dirty trick" was claiming that he never condemned white-supremacists and continues to refuse to when he clearly did condemn them. Continuing to deny it or arguing about the "fine people" part shows that you are unwilling to admit that the dirty trick is real, which doesn't look good for you.

I already linked a fact check on it so I don’t know why you’re trying to persist with this. Their interpretation was entirely reasonable, if uncharitable. The idea that you would try to equate something that happens every day in politics with the sort of collusion Trump has repeatedly done with the Russians beggars belief.

I genuinely hope you gain some perspective and understanding here because this is just embarrassing.
You linked to the dirty trick and I gave you his actual words along with recorded video of him saying it. Cry more.

Trump called their mischaracterization of his Coronavirus response a hoax. Thanks for perpetuating the very same dirty trick I pointed out to you. You are making my point for me and undermining yours while demonstrating how clueless you were to openly ask for examples as if they didn't exist.

Serious question - what dirty tricks has the left played on Trump? Not that I’m saying people wouldn’t do it but it seems unnecessary as Trump is openly corrupt.

There is is again, folks. let us bask in the irony of it!

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
So claiming he did not denounce white-supremacists when he did is kosher with you?

I agree. Doesn't change the fact that he very specifically called the characterization of his response a hoax and not the virus, despite continued claims that he called the virus a hoax. Accept it.

You saw a video and made assumptions, just like the Covington Catholic kids. In the video Trump made the same mocking mannerisms and voices he has used to mock Ted Cruz and numerous others. It's demonstrably how he portrays someone as flustered when impersonating them and has nothing to do with mocking a disability. There's even a supercut of it out there.

Furthermore, the man's disability is that he can barely move, not that he has spasms like Trump was demonstrating. He claims to have not known anything about the man's disability despite actually meeting him in the past but, well, Trump meets a lot of people and likely had no recollection of who that man was other than what that man had recently said about him.

No. There are many "if so... so what?" type statements in this very thread the represent the duplicity I'm talking about.

In that speech and on many other occasions he talks out of both sides of his month. He intentionally sends mixed messages on that subject and many others.

Accept what? I heard him clearly the first time I heard that.

Wrong. I never cared about the that video and it didn't not impact my opinion of stump at all. I realized he is a sleazeball decades ago. I am however that people with a disability love that the president on two occasions (have there been more) used that gesture.

Are you sure you aren't a trump supporter?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

So what? The story of the provenance of the hard drive in question here is obviously a hoax. There are way too many holes in it to pass the sniff test. It follows the theory of the Big Lie- make it so absurd that people won't believe you just made it up. Once that's understood, the veracity of anything on that drive is highly suspect. The fact that it's being promoted by known disinformation artists makes it doubly so.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Here, I will save you from having to listen to trump:

Here is what he said:
“Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus, you know that, right?” he said. “Coronavirus, they’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa.”

So he is right trump didn't say it was a hoax but what he did do is worse. His plan has/is to do nothing but downplay and spread misinformation. The criticism to his response has and continues to be more than justified. He intentionally deceived the American public and anyone thinking he did that to stop panic is wrong. He didn't want the stock market to tank and and get in the way of his reelection. trump doesn't care about anyone but himself.

Yes. I am not a fan of Trump's response to Coronavirus. I'm not a fan of Trump. I voted against him. Doesn't change the fact that it is a dirty trick to go on claiming that he called it a hoax.

Clearly, fskimospy asked what dirty tricks there were against Donald Trump and clearly that was one of them making it an appropriate answer to his question. It doesn't mean I am defending Trump's Coronavirus response.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z