Bunny is scared about possible lack of career opportunities.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
UPDATE: I'm having trouble with my resume. It's basically highlighting just how much experience I DON'T have. I want to somehow explain in my resume why I don't have any experience yet (switching majors so often, using summers to catch up in those majors).

I'm using this resume building software (Optimal Resume) that is recommended by my school, and it generates sections that I have to fill in. I can choose to edit or add sections though.

My major is Supply Chain and Operations Management

Qualifications Summary: Uhhh... I don't have any other than the classes I've taken. I just joined my school's Supply Chain Management club?

Accomplishments: All of my accomplishments have nothing to do with Supply Chain or Operations. They have to do with photography and beginner web building.

Related Experience: I have none other than the classes I've taken!

Education: got that

Leadership: nothing glorious like chairman of a business organization or anything. Was the tech leader for a summer overseas program and currently am the photographer for my school's Asian American Association.

Skills: MS Word, Excel, Access, Dreamweaver, PowerPoint, Photoshop, very strong digital photography skills

Professional Memberships: Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals, Institute for Supply Management, Exporters.SG, the first two of which I JUST joined...

It's my senior year and I have a career fair coming up at my university on the 19th of September. I really should start applying for jobs and stuff, but I'm worried I don't have enough experience.

I'm a Business Supply Chain and Operations Management major. I've never had an internship. I have a 3.0 (business school GPA will be higher). My time at college has been really rocky.

Freshman:
Started freshman year at Cornell as an undeclared engineering major.

Didn't like the subject, was doing pretty badly, wanted to switch to Biology in Arts and Sciences but some ridiculous policy resulted in me being put on a mandatory leave of absence for a year.

Summer:
Took Biology classes in summer school at Cornell to try and make up time lost as an Engineer.

Sophomore:
During my mandatory leave of absence I went to school at Miami University in Ohio as a Biology major planning to do Premed.

Summer:
During summer I took Organic Chemistry at Miami to try and get ahead and make up time lost as an Engineer at Cornell. Decided in Organic Chemistry that Biology and Premed weren't for me.

Junior:
Decided to stay at Miami because I was mad at Cornell for kicking me out and my family was breathing easier with the in-state tuition.

Changed my major to Electrical Engineering because I wanted to give it another go. I've been pushed all my life to be an engineer of some sort, or a doctor.

Took electrical engineering classes, did extremely badly and decided I was absolutely fed up with science and calculus and engineering.

Changed my major to Undeclared Business.

Summer:
Took business classes to, you guessed it, try and make up time lost as previous majors.

Senior:
Took intro to business classes. Decided I liked business a LOT more. Changed my major to Supply Chain and Operations Management.

Summer:
Went on a two month long international business trip to China, South Korea, and Japan. Plant visits, host family stays, etc.

Got back and during the rest of summer took business classes to, again, try and make up time lost as previous majors and graduate at the end of this school year.

Super Senior:
I'm here now. No internship experience. No work experience. No outside extracurricular activities. No interview experience. GPA has been really brought down by my previous majors (getting to a 3.0 overall has been tough). Have credits out the whazoo, which means my overall GPA isn't going to change much from 3.0 from now on. Don't even have a resume yet. I do have a Chinese minor, but I suck at reading and writing Chinese, and sorta passable at speaking it. I'm hoping to do my last semester overseas in Hong Kong because it is a really good place for Supply Chain people. No guarantee if I can get into the program. In fact it's pretty slim.

:( :( :( :( :(

EDIT: I would really really like to work for a company that has something to do with cameras or photography, like Canon, Nikon, Pentax... or camera accessory companies like Slik, Bogen-Manfrotto, etc. because I would have a sincere passion for the products. Not to mention I'd like to eventually move into a position where I can have a say in designing products, like what features to put into a product and so on. Not the actual engineering, but more of the marketing and giving the final a-ok before the product goes to market.

I don't know if I'd like to work for a company like P&G... overseeing operations for making laundry detergent... yay.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Experience will be a problem, mainly in that companies will treat you as a high risk. They have no idea how you'll perform in a job situation. Address that issue directly and get some good recommendations attesting to your work ethic and projects you have undertaken. If you can't do this, expect to start off with an internship after graduation and then moving onto a real job.

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
That's why I'm glad I skipped college and got a job straight out of high school. All my friends that went to college work in restauraunts and fast food places. Liberal art majors 4tehloss.

You may have to bite the bullet and get a job outside your field.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Engraver
That's why I'm glad I skipped college and got a job straight out of high school. All my friends that went to college work in resteraunts and fast food places. Liberal art majors 4tehloss.

Here's some great advice, don't go to college :roll:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Would you be able to find a more entry-level position with a company you'd like to work for, and after you've proven yourself, move up to what you want to do?

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
It is good advice, there is no point in going to college unless you have a clear career objective. That is unless you like wasting money. Most jobs it would be better to have actual work experience in the related field than a piece of paper saying you know what you are doing.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
That's why I'm glad I skipped college and got a job straight out of high school. All my friends that went to college work in restauraunts and fast food places. Liberal art majors 4tehloss.

You know, there are other options besides liberal arts, and not all liberal arts programs results in you working in restuarants (biology/bio-chem/chemistry... even some computer science programs are part of liberal arts programs and not engineering programs).

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
you are not alone.

freshman: undeclared engineering major (was going for civil engineering)
sophomore: dropped engineering major to become undecided (liberal arts)
junior: decided to study in industrial design over packaging science
senior: sophomore in industrial design
5th year (right now): junior in industrial design

many students change their majors at least once.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Join the marines. All your college sins will be washed away. Nobody asks a former marine how well he did in school...

Otherwise, start as a secretary or a mail boy and work your way up.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
It is good advice, there is no point in going to college unless you have a clear career objective. That is unless you like wasting money. Most jobs it would be better to have actual work experience in the related field than a piece of paper saying you know what you are doing.

If you don't have a career objective, then not going to college isn't going to help you either. More education > less.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: jman19
That's why I'm glad I skipped college and got a job straight out of high school. All my friends that went to college work in resteraunts and fast food places. Liberal art majors 4tehloss.

That seems to be the common advice and is considered acceptable by most people. In today's America you don't have to go to college to be successful. College grads are seen as over-privileged yuppies. I commonly call Liberal Art degrees Cake Majors. It still surprises me on how people with a B.S. in Philosophy and Art bitch about how they can?t make any money.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
This may seem obvious, but why don't you go into photography. I have always enjoyed your photos.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Phokus

You know, there are other options besides liberal arts, and not all liberal arts programs results in you working in restuarants (biology/bio-chem/chemistry... even some computer science programs are part of liberal arts programs and not engineering programs).

Computer Science, Biology and Chemistry are not part of Liberal Arts. If anything they are part of the Maths and Sciences at most colleges/universities.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: steppinthrax

That seems to be the common advice and is considered acceptable by most people. In today's America you don't have to go to college to be successful. College grads are seen as over-privileged yuppies. I commonly call Liberal Art degrees Cake Majors. It still surprises me on how people with a B.S. in Philosophy and Art bitch about how they can?t make any money.

In the end, whether or not you are employed depends on you, not a degree. Certain fields will require a degree, obviously.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
liberal arts seems to be the only thing I may be good at doing, and even then i'm not so sure.

i suck at math and while I have some interest in science, i'm not really good at it either. i hate IT after working in it for so long and it not being anything i liked.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
In this world if you want to make any money you got to either come up with a great idea (facebook, ebay, craigslist) or get into a field most people don't get into due to it's "hardness". Being a medical doctor would of been the best option. Engineering is good to. Those things most people can't do so your bound to make great money. Photography is not going to take you anywhere unless you want to stake out in front of the Spears mansion looking to take of shots of her panty-less to go into the next issue of Stars.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
You're not special. You're not the only one w/o experience. There are a ton of people like you. Anyone who is looking to hire entry level will understand that. You're not the greatest candidate for those jobs, but you're far from the worst. Quit your bitching and get back to applying.

P.S. College career fairs and such are an awesome resource for finding companies looking to hire college grads (duh).

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
1) Use photography skeelz to take incriminating photos.
2) Send copies to CEO with note to hire "friend"
3) ...
4) Profit!

Just make sure to avoid telling them that you're a "bunny" or they might think you're a nude model :p.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006

In the end, whether or not you are employed depends on you, not a degree. Certain fields will require a degree, obviously.

It's significantly harder without one. Donald trump even said it. He likes those who do well without them because they have a higher "burn" as he puts it. In other words they have to work 2x or 4x times as harder to prove themselves in a job interview then the person next to them who graduated from bumfuck community college.

The perception is skewed on the success rate for those persons. Statistically persons who don't possess a degree financially do worse then those who do. Income actually increases with degree. It's when we hear about those few who do well without even a H.S. that we think it's a big deal and advertise this. Giving those the perception that you don't need a degree. I would say a few would qualify for this.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

It's significantly harder without one. Donald trump even said it. He likes those who do well without them because they have a higher "burn" as he puts it. In other words they have to work 2x or 4x times as harder to prove themselves in a job interview then the person next to them who graduated from bumfuck community college.

The perception is skewed on the success rate for those persons. Statistically persons who don't possess a degree financially do worse then those who do. Income actually increases with degree. It's when we hear about those few who do well without even a H.S. that we think it's a big deal and advertise this. Giving those the perception that you don't need a degree. I would say a few would qualify for this.

I didn't say you would have a good job without a degree, just that the degree doesn't make the person. You can have a degree and be a lazy sack of crap, just like Engraver's friends. The issue is having some focus in your life. You won't be successful without it, so for Engrave to say that going to college isn't worth it because his friends are idiots doesn't mean anything.

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
In the US, Asian + male + general business major is not a good combo when looking for job.
Come to University of Hong Kong, but school starts next week :(

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
You will end up getting an entry level job making a lot less than you expected with a college degree. Bust your ass the first few years, get a promotion or two, and then change companies for a significant salary boost. Sticking with the same company you started your professional career with will hold you back salary wise, unless they counter you when you try to leave. This all works if you dont suck at what you do.