Bumbling House GOP, in effort to attack Obama on Benghazi, expose CIA cover on TV

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Uh, it wasn't even mentioned as CIA anything until the Rep blurted it out. State did nothing wrong and hearing wasn't in need of closing until Chaffetz opened his yapper.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
So let me get this straight. Its okay to divulge and talk about secret information so long as you don't call it secret. That way no one listening would know it is secret and therefore will disregard it. The secrecy of the information is intact as long as people don't know its secret information.

WTF.

o_O

Feb 6, 2007
Unless I'm reading this completely wrong, it looks like both sides made mistakes. The GOP party members thought that sensitive information was being revealed in an open forum, which obviously they would be right to object to. The State Department probably should have debriefed people beforehand so they could all be assured that nothing that was being presented was classified, which would have been unacceptable in a public forum. I'm not seeing how this sequence of events became "THE GOP IS EXPOSING CIA SPIES." They weren't. They were trying to prevent the exposure and they went about it in a rather hamfisted way. It certainly doesn't sound anything like how the OP is framing it.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
So let me get this straight. Its okay to divulge and talk about secret information so long as you don't call it secret. That way no one listening would know it is secret and therefore will disregard it. The secrecy of the information is intact as long as people don't know its secret information.

WTF.

o_O

Reading is fundamental.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Uh, it wasn't even mentioned as CIA anything until the Rep blurted it out. State did nothing wrong and hearing wasn't in need of closing until Chaffetz opened his yapper.

State was already providing information that should have been classified. They knew it and that it was an open forum. :thumbsdown:

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Unless I'm reading this completely wrong, it looks like both sides made mistakes. The GOP party members thought that sensitive information was being revealed in an open forum, which obviously they would be right to object to. The State Department probably should have debriefed people beforehand so they could all be assured that nothing that was being presented was classified, which would have been unacceptable in a public forum. I'm not seeing how this sequence of events became "THE GOP IS EXPOSING CIA SPIES." They weren't. They were trying to prevent the exposure and they went about it in a rather hamfisted way. It certainly doesn't sound anything like how the OP is framing it.

Look at who the OP is :(

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
State was already providing information that should have been classified. They knew it and that it was an open forum. :thumbsdown:

Kennedy, a career-long foreign service official, said under oath that there was no reason for concern. “The information that we are presenting today in open session is entirely unclassified,” he said.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
So instead of questioning why we're involved in Lybia to begin with, and why Obamma and his cronies tried to cover it up, the lefties blame the righties that they brought it out to the open? That's some blind partisan hackery if I ever saw one.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Kennedy, a career-long foreign service official, said under oath that there was no reason for concern. &#8220;The information that we are presenting today in open session is entirely unclassified,&#8221; he said.

If that is the case; then why the fuss.

Kennedy apparently does not know squat about classified/critical intelligence.

The Obama admin can not have it both ways.

Either the info should have been classified and State screwed up again or State is willing to expose classified information pretending that it is not. If so; then why the OP concern and this thread.

The GOP was not going to take any chances once they saw what State was providing.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

Either the info should have been classified and State screwed up again or State is willing to expose classified information pretending that it is not. If so; then why the OP concern and this thread.

The GOP was not going to take any chances once they saw what State was providing.

The State Dept guy didn't present any classified information. The Congressman thought he did and started yapping about how the classified stuff at the consulate he was told not to repeat, and kept doing it even after he was told there was nothing classified about the image.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

Because it was unclassified until the idiot GOPer pointed out something that WAS classified, you idiot.

Google maps probably has pictures of thousands of CIA safehouses, but it doesn't matter a damn unless you actually point them out.

How hard is it for you to understand this? Conservativism really is a mental disease.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
So instead of questioning why we're involved in Lybia to begin with, and why Obamma and his cronies tried to cover it up, the lefties blame the righties that they brought it out to the open? That's some blind partisan hackery if I ever saw one.

Agreed. Except for the blind part.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Because it was unclassified until the idiot GOPer pointed out something that WAS classified, you idiot.

Google maps probably has pictures of thousands of CIA safehouses, but it doesn't matter a damn unless you actually point them out.

How hard is it for you to understand this? Conservativism really is a mental disease.
Stuff is not classified that way on someones whim.

It either was or was not information that should have not been talked about.

State started talking about things that should not have been in an open forum. they knew better!

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) was the first to unmask the spooks. &#8220;Point of order! Point of order!&#8221; he called out as a State Department security official, seated in front of an aerial photo of the U.S. facilities in Benghazi, described the chaotic night of the attack. &#8220;We&#8217;re getting into classified issues that deal with sources and methods that would be totally inappropriate in an open forum such as this.&#8221;

A State Department official assured him that the material was &#8220;entirely unclassified&#8221; and that the photo was from a commercial satellite. &#8220;I totally object to the use of that photo,&#8221; Chaffetz continued. He went on to say that &#8220;I was told specifically while I was in Libya I could not and should not ever talk about what you&#8217;re showing here today.&#8221;

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
So, let me get this straight:
State department shows a picture of our embassy
GOP goes: "hey hey hey, you can't show that! Its classified info!"
State department: "I assure you, nothing being shown here is classified info."
GOP: "Yea it is! There's a CIA compound in our embassy! You see that building there that you labelled annex? That's an undercover CIA outpost! Secret classified stuff happens there!"
State department: "... Shut the fuck up, you dumbass. There's a reason its labelled annex and not 'SUPER SECRET CLASSIFIED CIA BASE.'"

I don't see how the blame for revealing the CIA compound can be laid on anyone but the GOP.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ads5dnQHRIM

Can anyone tell me exactly where in this video that Chaffetz exposed CIA cover? I'm having a tough time finding it.

My only issue with the video so far is with Ms. Lamb and her stumbling through her credentials as if she doesn't know what they are. She kept having to refer back to her script.

Also, for a law enforcement expert you would expect her to know that the M4 is not a sub-machine gun.

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ads5dnQHRIM

Can anyone tell me exactly where in this video that Chaffetz exposed CIA cover? I'm having a tough time finding it.

No they can.t if you watch starting @ about 9:20 you will see and hear clearly who says were the safe house is . The other stuff the demons are saying doesn't appear to be on the video . If it is they can do as I have done, giving you a time on the video to watch . Any demon that would like to point out there version of what occurrs in the video please do so . If you can I very much want to see the point of order part myself.

At 15:30 is were the chair advises not to show the compound well after MS. LAMB revealed all . The Chair acted properly tho it was after the Fact . So what we have here is the demons telling a version off truth that they want to see not reality . Man demons are horrifiingly ignonant. For this forum constantly saying they have superior minds they show a strange way of proving it . They are bad liars at best

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
So, let me get this straight:
State department shows a picture of our embassy
GOP goes: "hey hey hey, you can't show that! Its classified info!"
State department: "I assure you, nothing being shown here is classified info."
GOP: "Yea it is! There's a CIA compound in our embassy! You see that building there that you labelled annex? That's an undercover CIA outpost! Secret classified stuff happens there!"
State department: "... Shut the fuck up, you dumbass. There's a reason its labelled annex and not 'SUPER SECRET CLASSIFIED CIA BASE.'"

I don't see how the blame for revealing the CIA compound can be laid on anyone but the GOP.
This.

Apparently, none of you posting in here has ever been to a meeting concerning planning of a classified event. Having a meeting where classified information is discussed requires a lockable room with no windows and no personal electronic devices (PED) are allowed. To simplify protocol i.e. keep it unclassified you can have exhibits or power points with schedules about this event showing this event occurs on this day, and so and so for all the days of the event.

Guess what is not on the document. THE DATE! People in the room have had enough security training to know what words to watch out for.

My guess is that it was just a photo of the embassy with the annex. As long as some blabber mouth doesn't point out the fact that it is classified it is OK for that picture to be displayed.

Get it!

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
This.

Apparently, none of you posting in here has ever been to a meeting concerning planning of a classified event. Having a meeting were classified information is discussed required a lockable room with no windows and no personal electronic devices (PED) are aloud. To simplify protocol i.e. keep it unclassified you can have exhibits or power points with schedules about this event showing this event occurs on this day, and so and so for all the days of the event.

Guess what is not on the document. THE DATE! People in the room have had enough security training to know what words to watch out for.

My guess is that it was just a photo of the emmbasy with the annex. As long as some blabber mouth doesn't point out the fact that it is classified it is OK for that picture to be displayed.

Get it!

After reading the first part of your post NO. Some blabber mouth pointing it out . Ms lamb pointed out the safe house . The annex building being classiefied . I didn't see that in the video . The Chair acted properly the Gooberment did not They asked for more people and didn't get them. Making Obummer look the fool. Which he is . But he still gets my vote . I going to ask wife to vote obummer to . We never do this . But I want the demons to get what the deserve 4 more years of their messiah