GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
U.S. Pushed Allies on Iraq, Diplomat Writes
Chilean Envoy to U.N. Recounts Threats of Retaliation in Run-Up to Invasion

By Colum Lynch
Sunday, March 23, 2008; A11
WaPo

UNITED NATIONS -- In the months leading up to the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, the Bush administration threatened trade reprisals against friendly countries who withheld their support, spied on its allies, and pressed for the recall of U.N. envoys that resisted U.S. pressure to endorse the war, according to an upcoming book by a top Chilean diplomat.

The rough-and-tumble diplomatic strategy has generated lasting "bitterness" and "deep mistrust" in Washington's relations with allies in Europe, Latin America and elsewhere,
Heraldo Mu¿oz, Chile's ambassador to the United Nations, writes in his book "A Solitary War: A Diplomat's Chronicle of the Iraq War and Its Lessons," set for publication next month.

"In the aftermath of the invasion, allies loyal to the United States were rejected, mocked and even punished" for their refusal to back a U.N. resolution authorizing military action against Saddam Hussein's government, Mu¿oz writes.

But the tough talk dissipated as the war situation worsened, and President Bush came to reach out to many of the same allies that he had spurned. Mu¿oz's account suggests that the U.S. strategy backfired in Latin America, damaging the administration's standing in a region that has long been dubious of U.S. military intervention.

Mu¿oz details key roles by Chile and Mexico, the Security Council's two Latin members at the time, in the run-up to the war: Then-U.N. Ambassadors Juan Gabriel Vald¿s of Chile and Adolfo Aguilar Zinser of Mexico helped thwart U.S. and British efforts to rally support among the council's six undecided members for a resolution authorizing the U.S.-led invasion.

The book portrays Bush personally prodding the leaders of those six governments -- Angola, Cameroon, Chile, Guinea, Mexico and Pakistan -- to support the war resolution, a strategy aimed at demonstrating broad support for U.S. military plans, despite the French threat to veto the resolution.

In the weeks preceding the war, Bush made several appeals to Chilean President Ricardo Lagos and Mexican President Vicente Fox to rein in their diplomats and support U.S. war aims. "We have problems with your ambassador at the U.N.," Bush told Fox at a summit of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation in Los Cabos, Mexico, in late 2002.

"It's time to bring up the vote, Ricardo. We've had this debate too long," Bush told the Chilean president on March 11, 2003.

"Bush had referred to Lagos by his first name, but as the conversation drew to a close and Lagos refused to support the resolution as it stood, Bush shifted to a cool and aloof 'Mr. President,' " Mu¿oz writes. "Next Monday, time is up," Bush told Lagos.

Senior U.S. diplomats sought to thwart a last-minute attempt by Chile to broker a compromise that would delay military action for weeks, providing Iraq with a final chance to demonstrate that it had fully complied with disarmament requirements.

On March 14, 2003, less than one week before the invasion, Chile hosted a meeting of diplomats from the six undecided governments to discuss its proposal. But then-U.S. Ambassador John D. Negroponte and then-Secretary of State Colin L. Powell moved quickly to quash the initiative, warning them that the effort was viewed as "an unfriendly act" designed to isolate the United States. The diplomats received calls from their governments ordering them to "leave the meeting immediately," Mu¿oz writes.

Aguilar Zinser, who died in 2005, was forced out of the Mexican government after publicly accusing the United States of treating Mexico like its "back yard" during the war negotiations. Vald¿s was transferred to Argentina, where he served as Chile's top envoy, and Mu¿oz, a Chilean minister and onetime classmate of Condoleezza Rice at the University of Denver, was sent to the United Nations in June 2003 to patch up relations with the United States.

In the days after the invasion, the National Security Council's top Latin American expert, John F. Maisto, invited Mu¿oz to the White House to convey the message to Lagos, that his country's position at the United Nations had jeopardized prospects for the speedy Senate ratification of a free-trade pact. "Chile has lost some influence," he said. "President Bush is truly disappointed with Lagos, but he is furious with Fox. With Mexico, the president feels betrayed; with Chile, frustrated and let down."

Mu¿oz said relations remained tense at the United Nations, where the United States sought support for resolutions authorizing the occupation of Iraq. He said that small countries met privately in a secure room at the German mission that was impervious to suspected U.S. eavesdropping. "It reminded me of a submarine or a giant safe," Mu¿oz said in an interview.

The United States, he added, expressed "its displeasure" to the German government every time they held a meeting in the secure room. "They couldn't listen to what was going on."

Mu¿oz said that threats of reprisals were short-lived as Washington quickly found itself reaching out to Chile, Mexico and other countries to support Iraq's messy postwar rehabilitation. It also sought support from Chile on issues such as peacekeeping in Haiti and support for U.S. efforts to drive Syria out of Lebanon. The U.S.-Chilean free trade agreement, while delayed, was finally signed by then-U.S. Trade Representative Robert B. Zoellick in June 2003.

Mu¿oz said that Rice, as secretary of state, called him to ask for help on a U.N. resolution that would press for Syrian withdrawal from Lebanon. The United States had secured eight of the nine votes required for adoption of a resolution in the Security Council. Mu¿oz had received instructions to abstain. "I talked to [Lagos], and he listened to my argument, and we gave them the ninth vote," he said.

Bohoo the Bully Boyz couldn't listen in and spy in Germany's safe room :roll:

Not that any of this is surprising but it does paint a pitiful picture brown shirt war criminals in the Bush administration.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I guess it's gotten to the point that I don't even care anymore... I mean, anyone who doesn't know what creeps this administration is filled with is either living under a rock or willfully ignorant.

unless Obama's plans for a time machine pull through, what can we really do when the VP's answer to address criticism is "so"?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

I wouldn't be surprised if bush sodomized the leader of some small country because they wouldn't do as he said.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
What's funny is when your leaders commit crimes like this you sit back and say you don't care anymore or can't do anything. Yet when some criminals do the same on our side you call us terrorists just because we don't take to the street protesting against them and putting our lives at risk for something we don't have much say in (Like the capture of OBL). Hypocrisy at its finest. It's about time the so called enlightened people that claim the most of the world is living in medieval times do something about it. Simply put in numbers Bush has killed many many more civilians that OBL could dream of. Bush waged an illegal war and should be responsible for every death whether the deaths happened on purpose or not. I'm not sure too many of you would feel differently whether your family died because of a mis-fired bomb or one that was fired deliberately.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481
I guess it's gotten to the point that I don't even care anymore... I mean, anyone who doesn't know what creeps this administration is filled with is either living under a rock or willfully ignorant.

unless Obama's plans for a time machine pull through, what can we really do when the VP's answer to address criticism is "so"?

That 'So?' comment by Cheney was sickening but at this point I can't say I'm surprised. This administration will never admit fault or error. The only thing that shocked me was how blunt his, 'We don't give a F what the people think' response was. GWB&Co will go down as one of - if not the - worst administations in history.

TGB: For what it's worth there are people here protesting in the streets against this war.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
No mention of Canada? Its military is small but it's a major partner and it didn't partake in Iraq at all. I thought that a mistake but in retrospect of course it wasn't. I bet the pressure was high for Canada to partake in the gang rape.The Green Bean
You see in people what they see in others but not themselves. It's easy for a person here to look at the ignorant uneducated fools in your country and mock their inaction and yet you are absolutely correct; 30% of the people in this country approve of Bush. Many are glad for the Iraq war despite all evidence pointing to its folly. As mentioned above, people are either living under a rock or willfully ignorant, and yet this country has 10s of millions of these such people. I consider them no better than those who they mock for ignorance and inaction themselves. They never look in a mirror. It's too hard to admit that their country has its blemishes as well.
TGB: For what it's worth there are people here protesting in the streets against this war.
Not enough. Even when some use pragmaticism to question what can be done now--such as a complete withdrawal maybe being a complete mess--it's not like they necessarily can first admit that Iraq is a diabolical fiasco. IMO, you don't hire an arson to put out a fire and you cannot solve anything without first understanding where you went wrong and admitting there is a big problem.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Why is this regarded as som sort of revelation? The Bush Admin has played the bully every chance they could, exploited every bit of power they could muster at every opportunity, at home or abroad.

It's basically who they are, and what they stand for. The world can pretend to enjoy being date-raped, or they get a beating to go along with it...

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
this is an interesting article about mossad in mexico congress with guns and explosives. who knows, maybe they were trying to do some false flag terrorism.

http://www.aztlan.net/blowup.htm

Army general and head of the PGR releases two Israelis
arrested with guns and explosives inside the Mexican Congress

Los Angeles, Alta California - October 15, 2001- (ACN) In a mind-blowing development, La Voz de Aztlan has learned that Mexican Army General Rafael Marcial Macedo de la Concha who heads the Procuraduría General de la República (Mexican Department of Justice) has released the retired Israeli Defense Forces colonel and presumed MOSSAD agent Salvador Guersson Smecke and Israeli illegal immigrant Saur Ben Zvi after both had penetrated the security of the Mexican Congress and where in possession of guns, hand grenades and explosives.

This morning La Voz de Aztlan had a personal telephone interview with the Mexican Congressional Press Secretary, Lic. Adriana Lopez, and verified the arrest of the two Israelis after they had entered through the highly secured front entrance of the Palacio Legislativo de San Lázaro. She stated to La Voz de Aztlan that the two terrorists had taken advantage of a situation that occurred around 1700 hours of Wednesday October 10 when a large contingent of Sugar Industry Unionists were entering through the metal detectors. The two Israelis followed about 50 of the unionists to the office of the President of the Mexican Congress Beatriz Paredes. The two Israelis were first pretending to be press photographers but called the attention of the sugar unionists because of their nervous and out of the ordinary behavior. About ten of the unionists confronted them and observed that they were carrying guns and and what looked to them to be explosives. They held the two Israelis until Official Congressional Security personnel took them into custody. The head of Congressional Security Salvador Alarcón verified that the Israelis had in their possession nine hand grenades, sticks of dynamite, detonators, wiring and two 9mm "Glock" automatics.
La Voz de Aztlan has also learned that the Israeli Embassy used heavy handed measures to have the two Israelis released. Very high level emergency meetings took place between Mexican Secretary of Foreign Relations Jorge Gutman, General Macedo de la Concha and a top Ariel Sharon envoy who flew to Mexico City specially for that purpose. Elías Luf of the Israeli Embassy worked night and day and their official spokeswoman Hila Engelhart went into high gear after may hours of complete silence. What went one during those high levels meetings no ones knows, but many in Mexico are in disbelief at their release. Guns and any kind of explosive is highly illegal for Mexican citizens and the fact that these two Israelis had them inside the Mexican Congress makes their release highly suspect. What is really going on? Jorge Gutman, the Mexican Foreign Secretary, has very strong Zionist connections and himself is of Jewish descent. Mexican Army General Macedo de la Concha has strong connections to the U.S. Military Industrial-Complex and through this to the Israeli Defense Forces. Have any of these connections influenced the decision to release the two Zionist terrorists?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Yet you will vote for McCain who will continue this worthless war? Congratulations, you're a man of sound intelligence with a deep understanding of the issues.

EDIT: Sometimes I think people lie themselves into thinking things will end up better even though they know nothing's going to change. To sit there and say that you "don't even care anymore" is tantamount to capitulation on this whole Iraq debacle. For you, the strategy of staying the course is fine so long as you don't have to hear or talk about it. The truth is, you don't mind the creeps just so long as they wrap everything up nicely around the American flag and serve it to you hot, which is how you like it. You pretend that McCain's a realist when he, like George Bush, tells you exactly what's on his mind (and it ain't good) to your face.

But sooner or later, you'll realize it's shit youre eating.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Dari

Yet you will vote for McCain who will continue this worthless war? Congratulations, you're a man of sound intelligence with a deep understanding of the issues.
McCain understands Iraq very well. See my sig.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

EDIT: Sometimes I think people lie themselves into thinking things will end up better even though they know nothing's going to change. To sit there and say that you "don't even care anymore" is tantamount to capitulation on this whole Iraq debacle. For you, the strategy of staying the course is fine so long as you don't have to hear or talk about it. The truth is, you don't mind the creeps just so long as they wrap everything up nicely around the American flag and serve it to you hot, which is how you like it. You pretend that McCain's a realist when he, like George Bush, tells you exactly what's on his mind (and it ain't good) to your face.

hey, way to make up crap and be all judgmental. lol.

I just don't see what impact the origins of this war should have in what we need to do next. we can argue over what needs to be done next, but pointing fingers and dwelling in the past isn't doing any good.

Bush is an asshole, what can you do about it? 51% of the population voted for him and we've got 10 months till the election when we, as a country, will have a free voice in which direction we think the war needs to go in... I'm not about to start a one-man, unarmed revolution and I don't see you advocating that either.

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
the mexico incident even made it to a russian news site...

http://english.pravda.ru/main/2001/10/13/17982.html

"This is a very grave incident with many serious international implications. Many have questioned who may be really behind many of the recent terrorist acts around the world including the ones against the WTC and the Pentagon. The Mexican public and congress has been reticent about declaring war against Islam along with the U.S. It is possible that an act of terrorism against the Mexican Congress was planned in order to "terrorize" Mexico into towing the line against Islam. La Voz de Aztlan will be on top of this developing story to report any additional developments."

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

hey, way to make up crap and be all judgmental. lol.

I just don't see what impact the origins of this war should have in what we need to do next. we can argue over what needs to be done next, but pointing fingers and dwelling in the past isn't doing any good.

Bush is an asshole, what can you do about it? 51% of the population voted for him and we've got 10 months till the election when we, as a country, will have a free voice in which direction we think the war needs to go in... I'm not about to start a one-man, unarmed revolution and I don't see you advocating that either.

Well, you certainly seems blase about it. You seem resigned to everything. My suggestion is that we need fresh eyes to look at this conflict. McCain advocates more of the same.

There's an old adage that goes like this: The only thing that stays constant is change. Either we take the initiative in Iraq or it will do us in. Have you been listening to Iraqi politicians? We're doing their job and they have no problem with it. That ties our hands in many ways. So long as we have the same idiots who started this worthless war at the helm, it complicates our moral obligation to Iraq and America, which are not the same.

There may be no need to dwell in the past, but it doesn't mean we have to accept a one-dimensional fate.