Bully PC review

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I don't play Consoles, I knew about the game before it came out on the PS2 and wanted to play it, it's great Rockstar made us wait 2 years to get it lol. Since I've never played any other version I can't comment on what's different, better or worse. This is just my .02 cents about the PC version for people interested in playing it.

With a 2 year wait I expected a good port, not omg great but that's plenty of time to get it right. Unfortunatly the game coming to the PC was an afterthought and it shows in this port. I guess since it's already so old they didn't care about porting it well. The graphics aren't very good, not exactly bad either. But it runs really poorly on my system. My system plays FC2 on high settings pretty smoothly, even Crysis ran decent on my box. I'm running 1280x1024 with no AA on because AA was killing my system, on 2x it wasn't super poor, but with it off it looks about the same and runs better. with full AA it was like a slideshow. And you can't alter graphic settings while playing, you have to quit to the main menu. You only get 3, resolution, AA & shadows.

The controls remind of me GTA games, they never felt exactly right to me, it lacks responsiveness and feels a bit clunky. There are a bunch of keys you use so it's not really a simple wsad + a kick and jump. I wouldn't exactly call them difficult, but I'm still adjusting to them. Everything can be mapped, by default the attack key is left shift, the mouse buttons are mapped to other things. Pressing shift to punch seems counter intuitive, but what do I know? :)

AI is dumb at best, it feels like GTA in a school, I walked around and watched people randomly fighting, running and just doing what the fuck ever. Tons of students will start shit with you. There are no difficulty settings and kicking ass is easy. Your character is the video game equivalent of Chuck Norris. Even without having the grappling down pat, I managed to beat up 6 Greasers at the same time. I do find the fighting to be much more polished than any GTA - haven't played IV yet though. Your character can seem to run forever without getting tired, I've outran everybody who was messing with me.

You have to attend classes and do mini games, the English word jumble one was pretty fun, these add a bit to the game. Save points are only in your dorm room and you can't save while in the middle of doing a mission.

Sound is decent, the music is good, unlike GTA there's no songs here, I think the music fits. The characters will talk to you, a bit of humor here and there. The cut scenes arfe amusing, but if you die, you have to sit threw the last one again. I banged every key on my KB with no luck.

Overall it's a pretty fun game, it's not like GTA at all really, I don't think it has any guns, and you can't attack females. Anyone else seems to be open game though. While it's not as open ended as GTA, I spent awhile just running around beating up random kids. I'd give it around a 7.5/10, worth picking up if you've never played the PS2/WII or Xbox 360 one. The graphics here aren't great and the frame rates are kind of low. I can't imagine it looking any better than the others. I have heard the PS2 & Xbox versions have sick load times. Things load nice and quick on my Vista box = q6550 & 2 gigs. But with low resolution textures it shouldn't really be a slow loader.

I'm only about 5% into the game, but it seems I've done the basic stuff so it will just be more of this for the rest of it.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Yeah sounds about right, i got the xbox 360 version and had a blast with it. A few things though, you do get more save points later on, i personally never used them much though and you can beat up girls, i knocked the fat girl out many times with my slingshot.

PS. Dont trust algie, he is a soab!

Compnewbie01

Aug 8, 2005
Was thinking about picking this up on Steam for $30. I'm guessing it's not a bad deal at that price.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
not sure how long the game is, it's not as open ended as GTA but I've already found a few side missions and there are objects to collect, so if you're one of those who obsesses with beating a game and collecting every hidden thing it would probably last a good while :) It took me about an hour to get to 5% and I was learning the controls and exploring around. The smaller map is definitely a blessing I know in the GTA games I constantly was trying to remember where something was I had found. The game has a certain charm too, I mean you're a 15 year old asshole kid who has no redeeming qualities but he's still kind of likable. Seems to be a lot of combos you can unlock, which is good because in GTA the fighting was way too simple for me. I've noticed the jocks take a good while to knock out. I hit one with 4 uppercuts a few headbutts and a couple hook/hook knee to the head combos and he still wasn't down. Once you send somebody down though they don't seem to ever get back up.

I'm actually having fun with it, a shame Rockstar took 2 years to port it though. Maybe we'll get The Warriors next, I heard that was a pretty decent PS2 game.

Maximilian - maybe you can just beat up the fatties? I didn't try that, I know the regular girls when I'm around them it won't let me grapple them or throw a blow, haven't tried my slingshot yet though.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: QueBert
I'm actually having fun with it, a shame Rockstar took 2 years to port it though. Maybe we'll get The Warriors next, I heard that was a pretty decent PS2 game.

Warriors was a fun 3d beat em up. Godhand does it better, but Warriors has the cool story.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: skace

Warriors was a fun 3d beat em up. Godhand does it better, but Warriors has the cool story.

Does it stay pretty true to the movie? A guy I used to work with loved that movie more than anything, and lent it to me to watch. Not the greatest, but it was kind of funny.

QuadDamage2k

Dec 23, 2007
You have to attend classes and do mini games, the English word jumble one was pretty fun, these add a bit to the game. Save points are only in your dorm room and you can't save while in the middle of doing a mission.

You can save at other places as well, you unlock them later on. I'm already at 28% it's a fun game. It's a ok port and worth the time to check it out

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I have a question for anyone who's played it, I've taken a mission a few times not knowing what time it was and the class bell rings. If I go to class the mission gets aborted. As with other Rockstar games, when you don't complete a mission it doesn't tell you what's going on. So if a chick wants me to do something and I go to class aborting the mission, will I be able to find her and do the mission again? Also missing class completly, assuming I don't get caught. What side effect is there? I don't want to miss class, and I don't want to abort missions if I can't go back and finish them.

I'm enjoying the game, it's open but not GTA open so I'm able to focus more on tasks at hand and not just run around like a maniac beating people up like I would in GTA :)

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I have a question for anyone who's played it, I've taken a mission a few times not knowing what time it was and the class bell rings. If I go to class the mission gets aborted. As with other Rockstar games, when you don't complete a mission it doesn't tell you what's going on. So if a chick wants me to do something and I go to class aborting the mission, will I be able to find her and do the mission again? Also missing class completly, assuming I don't get caught. What side effect is there? I don't want to miss class, and I don't want to abort missions if I can't go back and finish them.

I'm enjoying the game, it's open but not GTA open so I'm able to focus more on tasks at hand and not just run around like a maniac beating people up like I would in GTA :)

It dosent matter if you miss class, you get benefits for passing classes, like if you pass gym level 3 and 5 you get extra fighting moves, geography levels 2 and 4 show certain hidden things on the map etc. If the mission is aborted you should be able to go back to the yellow thing (i think theyre yellow) where you first started the mission and restart it, some missions are only available at certain times.