Bulldozer on Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by gibbs007, Mar 5, 2012.

1. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

Exactly. We don't want an "AMDZone" and an "IntelZone" on these boards.

2. guskline

guskline Diamond Member

Gibbs007's question is interesting because I doubt MS had much time to "tweak" the original Windows 8 Developer preview relased last fall (too close to the Bulldozer release). Now that the Win 8 consumer preview edition was released it will be interesting to see what, if any, code changes were made to the OS to address the Bulldozer CPU. I installed the new Win 8 software on a spare 250g sata HD to run on my 1100Thuban as well as try it on my Intel 2500k machines. Honestly the boot up time for a mechanical HD is faster but I struggle with the Metro UI.

The real test would be to compare the Win 8 developer preview release and the newer Win 8 Consumer preview to see if there is any difference.

3. gmaster456

gmaster456 Golden Member

I would wait until the Final release for a final judgement. Although the consumer preview should be able to give us a rough idea.

4. denev2004

denev2004 Member

I guess Windows 8's thread scheduler has the same method to organize threads as the new Windows 7 with Hot-fixed does

5. busydude

busydude Diamond Member

I don't understand AMD's position here. Anyone with a single functioning neuron can understand that this hotfix does not change anything. yes, it makes it up to 10% faster in lightly threaded applications.. big deal! I would have more respect for AMD if they admitted that this was a botched release, like the developers of Deus EX: Human Revolution.

6. Chiropteran

Chiropteran Diamond Member

I agree that the Metro UI makes Windows 8 look like a botched release, but AMD has nothing to do with it and it's also not released yet.

7. podspi

podspi Golden Member

Pretty much every power user hates the Metro UI, but people who use their computer casually seem to like it.

Anyway, I also want to see some updated benches on Win 8, though I expect those will come from reputable sources (AT, etc) after RTM.

8. formulav8

formulav8 Diamond Member

I haven't downloaded it mainly because you apparently can't disable that yucky Metro interface. When/If MS fixes that....

9. pelov

pelov Diamond Member

Nothing us desktop folk like more than the stripping away features and streamlining products ;)

It is an abhorrent thing, isn't it? I don't think I'd use it on a tablet, never mind a desktop PC or laptop.

As to the original question at hand, there was a test tom's hardware did with windows 8 dev build from last year, so take these figures with a grain of salt. I'm also not certain that the win7 scheduler updates is the exact scheduler we'll see in win8.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,3043-23.html