Building system and need input

Reisooh

Jan 5, 2002
I took what I could from the most recent "Anandtech January Mid-range buyers guide" I'm open to any opinions.

This will be the second computer I've put together, the first one was a intel 1.8Ghz about 3 years ago.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor Socket 939 Retail

I don't plan on using the SLI feature, I just wanted the nForce4 chipset.
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI Audio/GB-LAN/IEEE/USB/PCI-E/SATA/DDR/ATX 64 939

This Ram is about $100 dollars higher than cheaper stuff, is it worth the money?
Patriot Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR PC-3200 w/ XBL Technology

Is this power supply any good? Might go with the 6600gt video and save 100 dollars, then I'd get an Antec power supply.
BFG Power Bundle - 6800GT/550-Watt Power Supply/Doom3

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B300S0 300GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer

NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Black, Model ND-3520A BK

Will the 2 fans this case comes with be enough?
Antec Performance Plus Series PlusView1000AMG SOHO File Server

NEC 1.44MB Black Internal Floppy Drive

I mainly use headphones so I might use the onboard sound and for-go a sound card.

SrGuapo

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2004
Intead of the SLI, why not just get a good nForce4 Ultra? Availability is getting a little better and new boards are eing released.

That graphics card is an awsome deal. Most 6800gts PCI-e are selling for more than that, without a PSU or Doom3. I have never heard any reports on the quality of BFG PSUs (possibly just a rebranded something)?, but BFG is a great company.

Get a gig of value RAM. you will not notice any difference in speed. The link in bovinda's post will demonstrate that. That DVD is a good choice. I just got for my new build and it is fast. It is arguably the best DVDRW out there and is also one of the cheapest.

BTW - the onboard on the nForce4 is exceptional.

slash196

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2004
Big-time no to the Maxtor. I have nothing but heresay to back it up, but I've heard Maxtor sata drives have some...issues. Seagate rocks MY socks, so I'd suggest getting one of those, instead.

Reisooh

Jan 5, 2002

Would this be considered "good value Ram"?

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=20-146-299&ATT=Memory+System+Memory&CMP=OTC-dealram">Mushkin Dual Pack 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail
</a>

RalphTheCow

Sep 14, 2000
$190 for an SLI motherboard seems like too much if you aren't going to use SLI.

And I would probably go with the 3000+ at half the price.

Waylay00

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Oh yeah, the new DFI NF4 boards are supposed to start being shipped this week to the states. You might wanna check that out. They have an NF4 Ultra (No-SLI) that is supposed to sell for about $150.

Reisooh

Jan 5, 2002
"If not overclocking, get Corsair Value RAM. And BTW, that 6800GT is not PCI-e."

I wondered about that, it says "PCI Express Support" but also says "AGP 8x". I take it the term "PCI Express Support" is different from a PCI Express video card?

bluewall21

Golden Member
Feb 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Reisooh

Would this be considered "good value Ram"?

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=20-146-299&ATT=Memory+System+Memory&CMP=OTC-dealram">Mushkin Dual Pack 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail
</a>

Yes.

Waylay00

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
"If not overclocking, get Corsair Value RAM. And BTW, that 6800GT is not PCI-e."

I wondered about that, it says "PCI Express Support" but also says "AGP 8x". I take it the term "PCI Express Support" is different from a PCI Express video card?

When it says PCI-Express support, it is talking about the PSU. Very misleading, and I would understand why someone would get confused with this.

flamingspinach

Nov 4, 2004

The "PCI Express Support" may have been referring to the PSU that comes with it.

-fs

Reisooh

Jan 5, 2002
Thanks for the headsup on the video card, any suggestions on another?

Since the video/PSU deal won't work it looks like i'll go with this case;
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=140108">Antec Performance Plus Series Plus1080AMG Soho File Server Case (Metallic Gray) Retail
w/430W Power Supply
</a>

I have 2 questions on this case;
Is the 430 watt plenty of power?
Will this work with a PCI-e card and AMD processor?

Waylay00

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I reccomend buying the PSU separately, but I'm sure that one will suffice, as it is an Antec. You may want to consider buying the PSU separately though, as I said. If you do, get an Enermax, Fortron, OCZ, or one of Antec's higher quality PSU's.

jterrell

Nov 18, 2004
Get the 6600 GT from Leadtek. The extreme is like 214 at newegg.
I couldn't find the 6800 GT in stock for anything reasonable.
I had the 6800 on order but after 2 weeks just cancelled it and got the 6600GT and am having great perfomance with high marks on all the 3D benches.

I'd go with value ram as it seems to make little difference right now if youi have to run dividers to OC a64's.

I ended up spending about 500 less than I had planned so was able to shift that to other purchases and have been completely satisfied with my build.

Reisooh

Jan 5, 2002
Oh yeah, the new DFI NF4 boards are supposed to start being shipped this week to the states. You might wanna check that out. They have an NF4 Ultra (No-SLI) that is supposed to sell for about $150.

I can't find any projected shipping dates for the DFI board, anyone have a link?