Building out a home network and rackmount server

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Now that I have my own place and am stuck using crappy wifi from across the house, it seems like it's time to build out the server and network I've been wanting for years. My plan is four cat6 runs all terminating in the basement. Two will go to ubiquity combined ethernet jacks / 802.11ac access points, which should cover the house, and two will go to standard jacks.

The server and rack stuff will obviously all be in the basement at the ethernet termination. My questions are all about how to buy rackmount hardware -- cabinet, PC case, switch, UPS (?).

1. First, the cabinet ... size recommendations?? It seems like I should go for minimum 7U ... 4 for PC case, 2 for UPS, 1 for switch. How much does AT recommend overprovisioning this? Any specific recommendations are welcome. I've searched newegg and found a few. This one is big and expensive but half off at the moment:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215305

2. PC case. So far the PC I plan to build is a Supermicro based 2011-3 Xeon system running FreeNAS, pfsense router, Plex server, etc ... the usual stuff. I only have two mirrored hard drives right now but ability to expand to 8 or so would be nice. This one popped up in my search. Again other recommendations are welcome.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147155

3. Switch ... haven't done any reading about this. I probably only need 8 gigabit ports -- four for the house, couple for the server / virtual router. I'm looking at motherboards with built in 10gbit for a future upgrade but don't need to spend that kind of money on a 10gbit switch yet.

4. UPS. This one? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102006

I'm tempted to skip this altogether at first but cleanly shutting down this stuff seems more important than my desktop.

Am I missing anything? I am pretty new to networking and server grade stuff. Thanks for any help.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You don't really have to get a rack. I am using one of these resin shelf units. Get used rack if you really want one. Check local Craig's list should offer plenty of choices. Get 16 port gigabit switch and just use injectors for those two ubiquiti wall plate. Look at super micro 4U chasis, Rosewill is not good at anything, just newegg's house brand. Used is also an option.

8681991.jpg

https://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/847/SC847A-R1400LPB

Last edited:

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I'm of the opinion that if you're going to do a project like this, do it right. That does generally mean it's not going to be cheap.

Rack: https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Enclosure-Cabinet-SR12UB/dp/B0043WF9E8

IF you can find a surplus small rack locally on Craigslist, go for it. But half racks (and smaller) are fairly uncommon so you don't typically see them floating around Craigslist. But Tripp-Lite makes decent quality racks at a reasonable price. Anyone talking about putting a Supermicro based system in a Rosewill case should be shot. :) Go Supermicro on the case. You'll thank me for it. If you've got budget concerns, get an older complete Supermicro system on eBay for cheap. Even if you don't have budget concerns, it can be cheaper to get an older complete system with the case you want than to buy the case new. Just make sure the system you get is one of their chassis that uses standard ATX or EATX boards and you can always put newer gear in it down the road.

I have the same general opinion on the UPS. There's a reason APC dominates the market despite their cost. Again a potential cost saving option is to buy a surplus one on Craigslist/ebay, then buy replacement batteries. For switches, I've been quite happy with my TP-Link 24 port Managed switches. While you can get surplus switches for cheap off ebay they use a shocking amount of power and some are quite loud. Unless you're needing the experience, stick with a new switch.

Also, do yourself a favor. Don't buy the rack or UPS from Newegg. These items frequently get damaged in shipping and Amazon's vastly easier to deal with if that happens. Plus, you can get them with free shipping from Amazon.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Thanks for all the info. I know to stay away from Rosewill for power supplies and standard PC cases but I was surprised to see that chassis I linked getting decent reviews. I was initially staying away from Supermicro due to extreme cost but I’m seeing some nice refurbs on eBay for great prices. Also looks like I probably overestimated case sizing and likely only need 2U, maybe 3. Now to pick from the hundreds of options on the supermicro site ...

Anyway I thought about just using shelving but I don’t actually have a huge area in the basement and would like it to be all one movable compact unit, since it will all be moving with me in a couple years anyway. And nothing is available on Craigslist except a couple full racks so I’ll probably just do that Tripp lite quarter rack. I’m good with paying a little more than anticipated for this stuff since it should last for a really long time.

Great starting point for more research, thanks to both of you. I’ll post back with my full build.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Thanks for all the info. I know to stay away from Rosewill for power supplies and standard PC cases but I was surprised to see that chassis I linked getting decent reviews. I was initially staying away from Supermicro due to extreme cost but I’m seeing some nice refurbs on eBay for great prices. Also looks like I probably overestimated case sizing and likely only need 2U, maybe 3. Now to pick from the hundreds of options on the supermicro site ...

Anyway I thought about just using shelving but I don’t actually have a huge area in the basement and would like it to be all one movable compact unit, since it will all be moving with me in a couple years anyway. And nothing is available on Craigslist except a couple full racks so I’ll probably just do that Tripp lite quarter rack. I’m good with paying a little more than anticipated for this stuff since it should last for a really long time.

Great starting point for more research, thanks to both of you. I’ll post back with my full build.

Err you are planning to put each piece back to its box before moving right?

Last edited:

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Err youbarebppanning to put each piece back to its box before moving right?

Hard drives yeah, everything else meh

Never done it for desktop PCs which should be more fragile I’d think.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Hard drives yeah, everything else meh

Never done it for desktop PCs which should be more fragile I’d think.

PCs have more empty space inside.

Racks are designed for static weight so they are not going to fare well on a moving truck.

Last edited:

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013

The reviews of that case are skewed by people having no experience with anything else. The only thing that makes that a "server" case is it's rackmount. However their rack ears are out of spec so you have to either grind them down or leave 1U of open space above and below the case. It's cheap, thin materials. No redundant power supplies, no hotswap fans, no hotswap drive backplane.

If you're trying to save some money, I'd just search eBay for the size you want then check the part number to make sure it's a standard ATX chassis.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Super...886238&hash=item48a5e41666:g:oiAAAOSwMQBaKyaZ

Local only (don't know where you are at), but could recoup some of that cost by selling the hardware it's including.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro...905283&hash=item284b7cf9b1:g:VTUAAOSwVKRaLGgr

2U but 12 drive bays instead of 8 like many of their 2U's.

Err you are planning to put each piece back to its box before moving right?

Why would you do that? Secure it in the rack and you've got a metal box protecting it instead of thin cardboard. Loaded racks get shipped all the time, drives and all. The only problem is stairs and getting it onto a truck. You'll either need multiple people or a liftgate. But if shipping a loaded rack is good enough for a million dollar storage system, it's good enough for my home lab.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The reviews of that case are skewed by people having no experience with anything else. The only thing that makes that a "server" case is it's rackmount. However their rack ears are out of spec so you have to either grind them down or leave 1U of open space above and below the case. It's cheap, thin materials. No redundant power supplies, no hotswap fans, no hotswap drive backplane.

If you're trying to save some money, I'd just search eBay for the size you want then check the part number to make sure it's a standard ATX chassis.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Super...886238&hash=item48a5e41666:g:oiAAAOSwMQBaKyaZ

Local only (don't know where you are at), but could recoup some of that cost by selling the hardware it's including.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro...905283&hash=item284b7cf9b1:g:VTUAAOSwVKRaLGgr

Why would you do that? Secure it in the rack and you've got a metal box protecting it instead of thin cardboard. Loaded racks get shipped all the time, drives and all. The only problem is stairs and getting it onto a truck. You'll either need multiple people or a liftgate. But if shipping a loaded rack is good enough for a million dollar storage system, it's good enough for my home lab.

Prety sure you hire movers experienced with moving racks as opposed to your average home movers. 42U loaded should be over a metric tonne :)

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Nobody's talking about moving a loaded 42U rack. I've got 15U used in my rack. I moved it loaded. It's not rocket science. If you've moved a fridge, you can move the rack.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Nobody's talking about moving a loaded 42U rack. I've got 15U used in my rack. I moved it loaded. It's not rocket science. If you've moved a fridge, you can move the rack.

Up here we leave our appliances behind when we move :awe:

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

I'm in Boston, so that first one's a no go. After some research, it looks like the SAS826EL1 is only SAS1 and has issues with drives >2TB? I found this one with the SAS2 version:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro...292357562609?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Looks like it includes PSUs as well, just no trays which I am assuming I can order separately. Any reason I shouldn't buy this?

edit: Seems like it might be cheaper to buy a new backplane and PSUs for the one you linked ...

Last edited:

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I can't speak to the 2TB limitation but yes it is a SAS1 backplane. I'll have to check your link when I get home from work, can't get to ebay at work.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Looks like I can get a couple used 920w platinum PSUs, the upgraded SAS2 backplane, and the case you linked for $240 total ... think that's the route I'll go. Total cost is similar to my listing + 12 drive trays but I like the listing that you linked better (more photos)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've got a Norco 4020 (20-bay 3.5" 4U server case), you can have it, it's brand-new. I'm in Metrowest, PM me for details. I could stand to get it out of my storage unit.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I've got a Norco 4020 (20-bay 3.5" 4U server case), you can have it, it's brand-new. I'm in Metrowest, PM me for details. I could stand to get it out of my storage unit.

Really generous offer, but I already ordered my pieced together Supermicro chassis :( Thanks anyway, that's very kind.

I bought the chassis that XavierMace linked along with a $45 refurb SAS2-826EL1 backplane and a $47 pair of their 740w platinum PSUs (half the price of the 920s, and I won't need that kind of power for a long time if ever). $188 after applying some "ebay bucks".

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Looks like I can get a couple used 920w platinum PSUs, the upgraded SAS2 backplane, and the case you linked for $240 total ... think that's the route I'll go. Total cost is similar to my listing + 12 drive trays but I like the listing that you linked better (more photos)

Really generous offer, but I already ordered my pieced together Supermicro chassis :( Thanks anyway, that's very kind.

I bought the chassis that XavierMace linked along with a $45 refurb SAS2-826EL1 backplane and a $47 pair of their 740w platinum PSUs (half the price of the 920s, and I won't need that kind of power for a long time if ever). $188 after applying some "ebay bucks".

I honestly didn't notice the one I linked to was missing power supplies. Fail on my part there. I hope those 740's fit. Despite how similar they look, Supermicro does have a couple different "series" of power supplies that aren't physically compatible. If you get them and they aren't physically compatible, let me know. I've got two of their 1kw Gold's in the closet, so we could probably figure something out. Although if memory serves they are electrically compatible (meaning the pinouts are the same) so you could probably solve the problem with a Dremel or file.

Even more embarrassing is the fact that I just realized I think I've got an extra one of that exact case sitting in my closet right now with power supplies and motherboard.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Look into a 4 post rack. You can always build cable management ducts and such around it as you please or even add a door. Kinda what I did with mine except no door. Cheaper than a fully enclosed cabinet. Shipping will be cheaper too.

For patch panel I like keystone patch panels, makes it easy to add new drops as you please, and they don't all have to be ethernet. You can do cable TV, phone, etc. But whatever you decide to go with, a patch panel is a good idea.

edit: I missed the part about moving. I would wait till you move before buying any of this stuff. No point in setting up anything nice only to have to move it all later. You will want to bolt down the rack and such, it will become something built in, more or less.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I honestly didn't notice the one I linked to was missing power supplies. Fail on my part there. I hope those 740's fit. Despite how similar they look, Supermicro does have a couple different "series" of power supplies that aren't physically compatible. If you get them and they aren't physically compatible, let me know. I've got two of their 1kw Gold's in the closet, so we could probably figure something out. Although if memory serves they are electrically compatible (meaning the pinouts are the same) so you could probably solve the problem with a Dremel or file.

Even more embarrassing is the fact that I just realized I think I've got an extra one of that exact case sitting in my closet right now with power supplies and motherboard.

Heh, don't worry, I did a little research first -- the dimensions are identical to the 920s in their PSU matrix and the exact model I bought comes standard on another CSE-826 chassis (some kind of JBOD enclosure). I guess I'll see for sure in a week or so.

Bummer about your 826 if you were looking at getting rid of it :p

I was really close to grabbing one with some combination of motherboard / CPU / memory / drives but didn't for a couple reasons ... thought it would be smart to go new on at least the motherboard for longevity, and there weren't any with just a single CPU. Dual would be very cool but very overpowered for my uses, and I don't want the extra power consumption for an extra CPU idling away.

Look into a 4 post rack. You can always build cable management ducts and such around it as you please or even add a door. Kinda what I did with mine except no door. Cheaper than a fully enclosed cabinet. Shipping will be cheaper too.

For patch panel I like keystone patch panels, makes it easy to add new drops as you please, and they don't all have to be ethernet. You can do cable TV, phone, etc. But whatever you decide to go with, a patch panel is a good idea.

edit: I missed the part about moving. I would wait till you move before buying any of this stuff. No point in setting up anything nice only to have to move it all later. You will want to bolt down the rack and such, it will become something built in, more or less.

I was thinking I'd bolt the patch panel to the wall rather than rackmount, which makes everything else portable if the rack cabinet is ... one of the reasons I'll probably go with that Tripp Lite linked earlier. 2-3 years is still plenty of time to enjoy having the place wired and nicely set up, plus it will get the modem and router out of the living room and into the basement. I've wanted to start a project like this since high school, dammit :p

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I may or may not have done a bad thing ... ended up just buying a fully loaded CSE-826B server and requesting to cancel the previous chassis. It was expensive but comes with some nice stuff I should be able to sell off:

LSI SAS3 RAID controller with battery
SAS3-826EL1 backplane
Supermicro internal to external SAS3 port
2x 920w platinum "super quiet" PSUs

... and a bunch of stuff I was going to buy anyway:

Basic UP X10 ATX motherboard with E5-1620 V3, 16GB registered DDR4, etc. I also like that the chassis is one of the newer ones with 2.5" hotswap drive bays in the back, and it comes with a couple Micron 128GB drives preinstalled. If I'm anywhere near accurate in my estimates the whole thing should be about $1000 after selling off parts and installing cheap "lesser" SAS2 stuff in their places, along with using the 740w PSUs I ordered already and selling the fancy 920w ones. Doesn't seem too bad for what seems to be a pretty new and complete system.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I may or may not have done a bad thing ... ended up just buying a fully loaded CSE-826B server and requesting to cancel the previous chassis. It was expensive but comes with some nice stuff I should be able to sell off:

LSI SAS3 RAID controller with battery
SAS3-826EL1 backplane
Supermicro internal to external SAS3 port
2x 920w platinum "super quiet" PSUs

... and a bunch of stuff I was going to buy anyway:

Basic UP X10 ATX motherboard with E5-1620 V3, 16GB registered DDR4, etc. I also like that the chassis is one of the newer ones with 2.5" hotswap drive bays in the back, and it comes with a couple Micron 128GB drives preinstalled. If I'm anywhere near accurate in my estimates the whole thing should be about $1000 after selling off parts and installing cheap "lesser" SAS2 stuff in their places, along with using the 740w PSUs I ordered already and selling the fancy 920w ones. Doesn't seem too bad for what seems to be a pretty new and complete system.

Nice! I REALLY wanted the model with the 2.5" bays in the back but not enough to pay the prices people were wanting for complete systems with that board. I might recommend hanging onto those 920's though. If you ever put the rack somewhere where noise is any concern, those power supplies are drastically quieter.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I've wanted to start a project like this since high school, dammit :p

Haha same here, when I lived with my parents I really wanted to setup a server rack, they didn't go for it. :p Fast forward to when I was getting ready to move out, and I made sure that any house I buy has room to set one up.