Discussion Building my gaming PCs, how I save some cash and keep things fresh.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Just wanted to share some tips that work for me, and add some positive energy to the forum.

I never buy all my parts at once. My current primary gamer is as follows -

Ryzen 3600 - $200 at launch (hits the rated boost clock no issue)

2x8GB Team Group WarHawk 3200 RGB - $70. (bought a couple months ago)

WD Black 500GB nvme - $40 actual by leveraging a Ebay promotion for Newegg. (Bought around the Holidays last year)

2TB WD Black HDD game folder - $65 from FS/FT 1.5-2yrs back.

EVGA semi modular 850 BQ - $50 from Amazon on BF last year.

120MM CoolerMaster AIO - free. Virtual Larry threw it in BNIB with a Ryzen 1600, because he is cool like that.

Asrock B350 K4 Gaming - $89 from Newegg. Bought it when I built my first Ryzen boxen using a 1500x. I have had that CPU, a 1600, and the 3600 in it so far. Half dozen bios updates along the way, and this board is still going strong. Many 1000s of hours of gaming on it.

Rosewell Thor V2.0 full tower - $80 from Newegg a couple years back.

EVGA 2060 Super - $400 with Control and YoungBlood from Newegg about 6 weeks ago. It replaced the reference 5700 XT I returned due to not being ready for primetime.

Obviously a meh PC, nothing special and no flagship hardware. But it handles everything I do very well, and I did not spend much to do it. Because I recoup a significant portion of the cost by selling the replaced parts. It takes time to accumulate test bench stuff, but after that you can start trading up and ameliorate the expense of upgrading.

It works by purchasing parts when they are a better than usual price for whatever reason. I buy it and put it in my parts closet if I am not ready to use it. Or more often, swap it for something in use, then sell the replaced part here or on Ebay. Unless it is something I can keep for my test bench. It is highly recommended to keep compatible parts for every platform you use. It is great to be able to troubleshoot any or every component in a system when things do go wrong.

Some stop listening when you mention used, having been burned, or just wary of no warranty, abuse, etc. But I am a fan of the used market, especially Heatware based. You can trust the other members here with good reps to be honest and forthright in their dealings. And I have yet to have anything I've bought fail before retirement.

No important points to this post. Just wanted to share how I go about the hobby. And perhaps inspire a few to start dinking and dunking, the way some of us do, with parts. Instead of going to PCpartspicker and paying whatever the going rate on a build is at any given time. As long as the parts like PSU do not sit too long, and they are in a temp controlled place, you can hold them until you have everything you need for a build. Or like myself, keep freshening up your current build. We have other PCs in the house, and 3 gaming laptops for when we travel. But this is the system that sees the most hardware swapping.

Nothing wrong with PPP and buying it all at once. Or grabbing a cheap OEM refurb and adding a few parts to make a killer price to performance gamer. I just prefer to roll my own from scratch that's all.

Anyways, hope everyone that reads any of this has a great day. And to bring back a classic - Be excellent to each other!

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
My game rig is full of used or hand-me-down parts. Both the CPU and mobo are used off FS/FT, as is the case. PSU a HMD from my original office PC (yes, serious overkill... but, hey, it was Black Friday!) Memory... half from my office PC, half from FS/FT. The HDD's are the original 2TB HDDs from the HTPC, as is the optical drive. It does have a new 500GB SATA SSD, however, that, the GPU, and the display are the only 'new' parts I bought for it.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER