Building my first PCI-E system...need advice

mricks86

Mar 26, 2001
I am putting together my first system that is not based on an AGP video card.
I have an EVGA 780i motherboard and am looking for ideas on a decent but economical (you know, cheap) pair of pci-e video cards to use.
I do some moderate gaming, but I don't need max settings, just something that will make the games look decent and perform better than my 6800 ultra AGP that I've been running in my old system.

Ideas?

Thanks!

BernardP

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2006
For the same money, you will get better and more reliable/uniform performance with a higher-grade single card than with 2 lower-grade card in SLI or Crossfire configuration.

If you provide an idea of your overall videocard budget, I am certain that you will get many suggestions.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Heads up, it in majority of situation it is better to invest in one stronger card vs. 2 weaker GPUs...
Budget?

Edit: What BernardP said.

mricks86

Mar 26, 2001
Thanks for your input! That was another question I forgot to ask, would two cheaper cards be better/equal to one mid-range card.
If I was getting one card I would be looking to keep the price around $75 or under.
I would spend a little more for two cards, but if I could get better performance from one I would rather go that route.
So what's the best pci-e card I can get in that price range?

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
Just curious, but how did you end up with a 780i if your video card budget is $75. That seems like a hefty mobo who's only real advantage over boards in the $100 range is SLi support.

9600GT at $75 AR is a good buy in your price range and definitely faster than your current card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814127382

9800GTs can be had for around $100 AR and are a step up.

There's no SLi option in your price range that would come close to a single card at the same price.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I would suggest selling the 780i, and replacing it with a cheaper ~$100 motherboard to have more money available for a better video card. But yeah, if $75 is the budget, then 9600GT.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Hi!
I would go with a single 9800GT. It will last you for a long time if you don't game much. It also comes with a good power usage/price/performance ratio. Or if going over budget is not an option, get a single 9600GT just as Concillian suggests...

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: mricks86
I have an EVGA 780i motherboard and am looking for ideas on a decent but economical (you know, cheap) pair of pci-e video cards to use.
This would only make sense if you need to hook up to 3+ displays, and even then you wouldn't need an expensive SLI motherboard. I'm not sure what expectations you had for SLI, but the advice above is spot on about going for single card with your budget.

ASK THE COMMUNITY