Building Muscle without increasing caloric/protein intake?

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Hi All – First off, I want to let you folks know that at the moment, I’m on a modified diet prescribed by my doctor. I’m taking enough protein to maintain muscle mass. I am 5’10 male and about 165lbs. I go to the gym 4x a week with HIT and lifting.

I’ve lost quite a bit of weight in the last few months. Look great, but really no muscle definition. I want to build muscle mass to ‘even’ everything out. Not trying to enter competitions or be on the cover of bodybuilding magazine though. However, I’ve always read and heard that I must be in a caloric surplus to build muscle? Yes or no? Until my doctor tells me, if ever, I cannot go up on calories in a way that would have me gain weight. (Hope the thread isn’t derailed over that one.) And my macros are rigid, set in stone for the foreseeable future. I can’t even change my macro ratio to maybe increase protein intake.

Am I screwed if I want some muscle definition/growth?

Thoughts?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Definition yes, lots of growth possible, comes down more to Gene's... u dont have good ones I'm pretty sure if your going to the dr ! Also what kind of dr is a diet guru too? Sounds like a nutritional dr? I can tell you how I make gains is my diet (I have to eat ALOT) if you have your diet perfected then sure you can but it sounds also like nothing is happening toward progress If your asking. Just keep up the diet lose some weight and the muscles will start showing through. For me I dont dial in so Good so it's a roller coaster of bulk then cut then bulk then cut.. I often eat 6000 calories a day in bulk and 2000 for cut. (Weight gainer shake after each meal sometimes)

Reactions: thatsright

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Thanks killster1,

Yeah actually since losing the weight, my muscles have started to show. Biceps/triceps have been showing more growth. But as for the rest, I'm seeing a nutritionist and on a modified keto diet.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Thanks killster1,

Yeah actually since losing the weight, my muscles have started to show. Biceps/triceps have been showing more growth. But as for the rest, I'm seeing a nutritionist and on a modified keto diet.
Lolllll sorry but keto is not for anything other than jump starting. I'd go with intermittent fasting if you can put a time loock on the fridge. Carbs are what I use for my work out energy if I dont eat them I lift a lot less. My lame modified fasting is start eating at 12 or 1pm. I'd go with like 3o 30 30 macros. Ok just googled the proper answer

"""" Mesomorphs can usually start at a 30% protein, 40% carb, 30% fat macronutrient ratio. Endomorph: If you're naturally broad and thick, you're probably an endomorph. Endomorphs have a low carbohydrate tolerance and a slow metabolic rate. If you're an endomorph, try a ratio of 35% protein, 25% carbs and 40% fat.Dec 11, 2018""""" no carbs is stupid for bodybuilding.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Thanks killster1,

I'm not sure why you're on a prescribed diet, considering your body weight seems about right - if it's for epileptic seizures or something similar, then well understood.

You'll be challenged to develop significant muscle growth on your diet, however there is more research behind the myth of 1g protein / lb body weight, and you'll probably continue to convert fat to muscle even at .5 g / lb or so. You will never grow larger muscles though unless you go into a caloric surplus. You can continue to lean out, basically losing fat / gaining muscle, but you'll never fill out. If you look at some of the very shredded bodyweight workout guys, that is basically your end expectation without going to a surplus.

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Agree with everything you just said deadly. I totally made my OP impossibly rigid, and I did. But this week my Dr will (most likely) let me up my cal intake. I also have a PT trainer I start on Monday. All resistance/lifting stuff. I can certainly make some progress. If I can't even out like I want, then I'll go up on cals until I see what I'm hoping for.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Building noticeable muscle takes time. If you started from scratch (which kinda basically sounds like) to get to something like hey look at me with my shirt off cuz I'm cut up look, could take years.

Reactions: thatsright

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Oh yeah, even with my current cal limit, I'm already seeing steady+ gains. Of course at a certain point I'll plateau out and have to add in more protein/cals. When I get to that point, I will.