Building Litter Box tray. Best Material?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Wanting to build a custom tray for several litter boxes so that the litter that spills over doesn't hit the floor. I built one for my last house but I just moved and I had to throw the old tray away because it smelled like piss.

So this time around, I want to use something different than wood, or put something on the wood. I want material that won't absorb urine or liquids.

Ideas?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Look into plastic welding, could use some type of plastic like polypropylene or something. Not sure where to get stock material like that though... I had looked into getting custom drip trays made for my UPS batteries and it was expensive, like 120 bucks a piece, but I imagine with plastic welding it would be cheaper if you can source out the material. Since you're not dealing with acid, you can probably get away with a cheaper plastic too.

I only briefly researched plastic welding so don't know much myself about it, but it seems like it could be a good application for this. I'm probably going to revisit it when I decide to add more capacity to my UPS. Right now I'm using regular storage containers but can only fit 2 batteries per shelf.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
Formica or vinyl flooring would probably work well and easy to get. A plastic supply company would have a lot of options for plastic sheet goods. Maybe build something and spray it with bed liner. Get a dog.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Teach your cat to clean up after himself...

Or better yet..use the toilet like a real cat.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Formica or vinyl flooring would probably work well and easy to get. A plastic supply company would have a lot of options for plastic sheet goods. Maybe build something and spray it with bed liner. Get a dog.

If you go with vinyl flooring go with the sheets instead of the squares. The seams between squares trap shit and piss and will make the entire box smell awful. After which your cat will wage war on your house.

Trust me. . . I know from experience. The cat will win that war every time (at least if you live in a household where booting the cat is not allowed)

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
Several...litter boxes? How many cats do you have? Plenty of non absorbent materials out there. What are the rough dimensions of this tray you seek?

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
Several...litter boxes? How many cats do you have? Plenty of non absorbent materials out there. What are the rough dimensions of this tray you seek?

Who said anything about a cat?

If this is what I think it's for, the dimensions are at least 10' x 10'.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Plastic storage tubs from target or Walmart. Dremmel/cut a hole in the lid. Litter box for cheap with very little spillage.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I'm worried that plastic will absorb urine and the smells...

It won't. We had an older cat that stopped squatting when she pissed, probably from joint pain. So we used a 40 or 50 gallon storage container to keep her from going over the top. Cut the whole high on the side.

It worked so well at also keeping the litter in, that we continue to use it with our 1 and 5 year old cats.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Believe it or not, I just use a large plastic tote like this one. Then I cut a section out of the center from the top, enough so that the bottom of the cut out is up high enough so that litter doesn't get pushed out.

However, keep in mind that litter sticks to their feet and it will dribble off when they step out each time. I find it's best to just use a piece of linoleum under the tote so any excess poo that may get on their feet and onto the floor goes onto the linoleum instead. Plus my dogs like to get in there and eat it. We call it kitty candy.

snt230_bl.jpg

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yes. 2. All of my plastic litter boxes have started to stink like crazy even after scrubbing them down.

I use Method Antibac, let it soak for a few minutes, wash it out then wipe dry.

Given that we have Maine Coons that piss like racehorses and the pan is good as new every time we clean it I think there is a flaw in your process somewhere.