Question Building Gaming/Work Computer - Any critique or suggestions?

Skeeve2

May 12, 2020
I am planning to build a new computer. This is an upgrade from my 2009 windows 7 computer I built.

I will use the computer for gaming, entertainment, work, some video editing. Trying to future proof a bit as well, to the extent possible.

Any thoughts on whether these components would be good together? Any critique or suggestions?
It had been a while since my last build and I am hopeful I am not making any mistakes. Also, was not certain about the memory?

INTEL CORE I9-10900K 5.3GHZ
Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black, Dual-Tower CPU Cooler (140mm, Black)
MSI MEG Z490 ACE Gaming Motherboard
2 of Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 4400MHz - PVS416G440C9K
Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280
Samsung (MZ-V7S1T0B/AM) 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB
Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 Hi-Res Internal PCIe Sound Card
Fractal Design Define 7
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 T2 220-T2-0850-X1 80+ TITANIUM 850W
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X Video Card 11gb Gddr5x

Thank you in advance for any feedback!!

Response to Forum Questions Below:

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

2,000-2,500

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

USA

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
Usually Intel

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X Video Card 11gb Gddr5x
Optical Drive

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

May try to overclock.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
Not sure yet. May want to upgrade my monitor. Right now 1920X1080.

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Now

Last edited:

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
My critique/suggestion is it's a terrible time to buy, wait until reviews for comet lake come out, see where hardware landscape/supply is then, and consider if it's worth waiting for Ryzen 4000 or not.

What is your work? If you get into more video editing you might be happier w/ Ryzen but probably won't matter for light hobbyist amounts. RAM kit is good even if you end up running it at different speeds. You might want a better airflow case with comet lake (Meshify C / S2)? Depends on cooling vs noise goals. Unclear on your nvme choice.
Also if you use headphones I'd skip internal sound card and find decent USB DAC/Amp.

Skeeve2

May 12, 2020
@GoodRevrnd Thank you very much for the feedback. I chose the Fractal because it had an external 5.25 and USB-C port.
Why do you suggest skipping the sound card? Can you elaborate on that? Is that overkill? or are you saying Dac/Apm would be better?

Trying to buy now, because my current computer is outdated and I need to upgrade to Windows 10. And I have the time now to do it. But I hear the point.
My primary profession is Teaching. I do a lot of video work for my classes as well.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Right, forgot you need the 5.25.

So I would probably build solely for gaming since it doesn't sound like anything else your doing will tax the system much. Yeah, the Intel is the best peak performance choice for that, especially right now. Ryzens could come out ahead longterm once developers are focused more on nextgen consoles but you also selected the max core i10 and usually not a good idea to try to predict future performance of hardware. If you end up going 1440p+ your choice between high end cpus probably won't even matter.

I don't know much about that Sound Blaster but I'm highly against all the effects they use and all gaming audio is software based these days. For $200 you can get a pretty killer USB DAC/Amp. Even soundblaster makes wholly external units, and that completely removes the audio from any internal system noise. If you're using headphones AND speakers, the AE7 or something like it (X7?) is probably your best choice (but depending on speaker setup any unit with some kind of secondary line out might work). The other perk is having easy vol and mic control built into one unit. Otherwise, maybe something like a Schiit Hel or Mayflower Arc, or even just a Fiio e10k. Some of this depends on your headphone setup.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
That's a good mem kit and 850 is plenty. I don't have much opinion on PSUs and stocks are so messed up right now I think EVGA is your only choice for half decent one anyway.

A leaked benchmark has this proc ahead only 3% in aggregate gaming on the Ryzen 3900 which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I thought the 9900k was further ahead than that. I wonder if the increased core layout loses some efficiency? If that's accurate I question the value for the extra heat and power consumption on the i9-10. Someone else should chime in on this.

Last edited: