Building desk (stores are nuts)Any one have ideas?*update*Built the desk..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I suggest buying a SOLID oak desk. If you find a shop locally that sells them, you can usually work out a 60 days same as cash deal and then do payments after that. Just pay it off $100 or so a month.

The reason I suggest this is because you'll get a SOLID desk that won't fall apart in the next 30-40 years and you won't ever have to buy another one unless it gets destroyed by fire or an ex-wife or something. I'm trying to buy the most sturdy furniture now so I don't have to buy anything later... It's called an investment.

Barnaby W. Füi

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
I suggest buying a SOLID oak desk. If you find a shop locally that sells them, you can usually work out a 60 days same as cash deal and then do payments after that. Just pay it off $100 or so a month.

The reason I suggest this is because you'll get a SOLID desk that won't fall apart in the next 30-40 years and you won't ever have to buy another one unless it gets destroyed by fire or an ex-wife or something. I'm trying to buy the most sturdy furniture now so I don't have to buy anything later... It's called an investment.

Yeah, my dad has had the same oak desk for my whole life and who knows how long before that. I have no idea how old that thing is, but it isn't going anywhere soon. :p

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
Update

I built my desk, it took a couple hours but it came out great. I used an oak plywood top with a base of 2x4's. I settled on a corner desk design with a monitor stand so I could slide my keyboard under the monitor if i need to write on my desk. I will try and upload some pics later. Thanks for the help everyone!

Curly01

Jul 5, 2002
Another tip for finishing...if you are going with a low gloss or satin finish, use sealer and then a coat of gloss and finally your finish of choice. A sati or semi-gloss coat over a gloss coat will bring out the depth of the wood.

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
I am going to buy a digital cam this week. These are the first pictures I will take! Sorry to keep you waiting.

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
OK I finally got the camera, thanks FS/FT! Once again, thank you for all the help in this thread. Here is the finished product. I found a desk that I liked online and made the plans for it myself. It is a simplified corner desk with a monitor stand. I made the stand out of the corner I cut off the main desk. You will see what I mean in the pictures..

Frontal Shot
Upper
Bottom
Glossy coating

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Nice, but kinda small for me :) I like having a huge desk :) Good job though, here is your award :beer:

That looks great! Yeah, like the above poster, it's a little small for my tastes...I think I'd get a HUGE rectangle piece and then just put legs/drawer type assemblies under it. But good job...it looks professional!

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
It is small by design, I have a small room and didn't want to take up much room which is why I went with a corner design as well. Thanks for the compliments though!

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
nice..

2x4 construction. sturdy and efficient, i like it.

soon, i'll be replacing my current desk, but it's gonna be a little more advanced in construction than that.

current

here is my latest woodworking job. next up is an entertainment center to contain my father's stereo equipment and big screen TV.

all this happens after the construction of the second shed in the backyard, the "woodworking shed".

all other projects of mine were done in my high school woodshop. finally, i'll have my own shop :)

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: cliftonite
This is my new desk. Have yet to assemble it though :(

it's proprietary to the HP pavillion, sorry.

how the hell do you hit the power button? i hope you're gonna be moving it to above the desktop....

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Walleye
nice..

soon, i'll be replacing my current desk, but it's gonna be a little more advanced in construction than that.

current

here is my latest woodworking job. next up is an entertainment center to contain my father's stereo equipment and big screen TV.

all this happens after the construction of the second shed in the backyard, the "woodworking shed".

all other projects of mine were done in my high school woodshop. finally, i'll have my own shop :)

Damn, sweet woodworking there. How long have you been doing woodwork?

Now that I built something I am really thinking of working on better projects. I need to buy a router and other power tools. I built this desk for 35$ in supplies and I bet I will have it much longer then the particle board desks!

eofeapr

Oct 3, 2003
1 cabinet grade plywood,,, 3/4" is the way to go

2 if you get a 4x8 there's enough for top and side panels to hold it up or make legs from tubing that has about 1/4" of treads and a part that goes under the desk to receive the tubes

3 2" drywall screws are just fine,countersunk and wood putty will hide them well if you go with the side panels instead of legs

4 can go with that L shape (for lack of a better description) or something traingular works well on a corner,, whatever you like and suits the space you have

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Grey
Originally posted by: Walleye
nice..

current

Damn, sweet woodworking there. How long have you been doing woodwork?

Now that I built something I am really thinking of working on better projects. I need to buy a router and other power tools. I built this desk for 35$ in supplies and I bet I will have it much longer then the particle board desks!

only a few projects. at that point, i had made the extension to my desk, and fixed other things. that's about it.

eofeapr

Oct 3, 2003
SWEET Wally !!!

did you inlay the checkerboard ???

I wanted to get into furniture but wanted to build from scatsh as opposed to refurbing, but the price of nice tools to prep materials is MOFO, if you know what I mean. so never really made anything except simple shelves and crap like that...

nice piece !! keep it up dude

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"Ornery, what do you use for legs to support the desk?"

Legs? I don't need no stinkin' legs! ;)

"It is a simplified corner desk with a monitor stand..."

It came out nice, and a good finish, too. Sure ended up looking like cherry!

"Geez... do all 4 of you work and school at home ?! ;)"

Again, just form following function. We turned our nursery into a computer room/den. I got tired of having paperwork scattered in different areas of the house. Some in the kitchen, some in the dining room, bedroom, in file cabinets on the porch... it drove me crazy! Now, all paperwork and mail goes straight to the den. NO EXCEPTIONS! It gets sorted and filed or thrown away right there. If I need receipts, manuals or tax records, it's all there.

When working on homework or school projects, all paper, scissors, tape, etc. are in the same room. Envelopes, stamps and shipping labels are there, too. The printer is on the SMC Barricade print server, so it's accessable to any PC without having any other PC powered up. All printer supplies are right above the printer.

"3 Enlight 7237 cases.. excellent choice"

All 3 were purchased before the den was finished, but knowing how they would be used later. Everybody hates desktop cases, but they really are the most space efficient. You have to lift the monitor off of them to get at the guts, but that's the price you pay to save space. The only way I'd have a case sitting on the floor, is if it were tall enough to reach the drive bays without bending over. I still have one like that, but it's OLD!

"That's a lot of Dr Pepper!
Your 17-year-old son plays with Yu-Gi-Oh! cards? :)"

He's really slow to remove debris from his room, I wish he wouldn't do that. It attracts bugs.
I never heard mention of Yu-Gi-Oh, but he does have a ton of 'Magic The Gathering' cards.

I was trying to remember who made the chess board, and here it's Walleye. Nice! WinstonSmith was asking about woodworking tools. Maybe you could give him some pointers.