Question building a computer later this month, some feedback?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I was set to go with Ryzen 7000, but the more I'm reading up the more I'm thinking Raptor Lake. I liked the gen 5 m.2 on the X670e boards, but there are no gen 5 drives out. And what I buy will be my system for the next 7 years. So I probably wouldn't be adding gen 5 NVME, assuming there's even any noticeable real-world difference. I'm looking at the Asus Rog Strix z790-A Gaming Wifi D4 with a 13700k. I know AMD had said a few future gen cpu's will work on AM5 boards. But if I'm going to stick with the build for 5+ years by then I'm sure I'd probably want a newer chipset MB if I upgraded my CPU. I priced out 2 builds on pcpartpicker and was shocked they were so close, AM5 $1084 and Raptor Lake $1132. 7700x/13700k, 32gb (ddr4 for the Intel) Asus ROG board for both. I figured one would be a good deal cheaper and BOOM I'd have my answer. Like I said I won't be upgrading for who knows how long and right now the benchmarks I've seen the 13700k beats the 7700x in most category.

I read a few articles on DDR4 vs DDR5 and it doesn't seem like it matters much with current chipsets and cpus. And fast DDR4 was even edging it out in some of the benchmarks. But I know synthetic benchmarks don't = real world. And I probably wouldn't notice a difference. Strangely, the Z790 MB I'm looking at's ddr4 whereas Asus has a bunch of much cheaper Z790 boards that are DDR5.

I did a ton of reading on AM5 and LGA1700, I know there's no right answer here, both are great and both sides have an army of fanboys. But I just can't make my mind up so I thought I'd ask here. Maybe there is a reason or 2 I'm overlooking that'll get brought up. And if I manage to get 3 replies with AMD or Intel that's what I'll buy. I'm ordering around Xmas because I was told BF like deals are probably gonna pop up around then. If I don't get any replies by then, I guess I'll go to my backup plan and flip a coin 3 times lol.

If anyone has any thoughts here, thanks.

Last edited:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
It's all hype when new things come out. Same thing happened with ADL screaming that it would need to LC or it will fry. Idle at ambient temps is normal. Under load is when you see the benefits of your cooling choices. Of course you can set your temp curves lower to engage the cooling and bring them down further but that just leads to more noise and quicker failure over time. My cheap $50 air cooler handles ADL at max stress and keeps it at 150F/50C or less. I could get better temps by delidding it and using a bracket but, there's no real need.

Well, at least the benchmarks vs the regular Intel frame I saw from all the YT'ers it was 8-10c cooler, that's a pretty good difference. It's not needed because the CPU's running within Intel's specs wiithout it. But if I could drop 10c for 12 bucks and 10 minutes to install I'm all for it.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
LOL so they leave it out of the manual, which people who buy it are going to use, but include it on a webpage. That makes no sense. I do love how they left out telling you to plug it in, but in the drawings, it shows it connected.

I will say the system's so damn fast, VNME benchmarked over 7000MB and after some Googling, apparently, my CPU idling @ 85f isn't too concerning. I still have all the panels off so the air flow's better than it'll ever be. Seeing 87 just sitting there has me kinda scared to put the panels on lol. I know this is only a 240mm AIO and it's not a top performer, but I really expected to see better temps. I even swapped the intel bracket for the contact frame all the geekie people are saying you need. And I followed the installation directions from the guy on Gamers Nexus (not Steve) to a tee. In involved turning each screw a quarter of a turn until they were all tightened. Used thermal paste of course. If the plate made a difference then holy hell I bought the wrong case (as Boomer tried to point out to me lol)

I need to go and play with the AIO to see if I can get the temps better, if it's 85 idle it's gonna be 100+ when I game. That can't be good

Idling at 85 would be concerning to me. Mine RARELY idles over over 35.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Idling at 85 would be concerning to me. Mine RARELY idles over over 35.

What CPU? My 3570k idled around 35 too :D I know you're in the process of upgrading. I read about 20 threads on Reddit about 13600k temps, and unless everyone is lying a lot of people idle around 40c and when they game 60-65c. And unless the people replying are trolling or just idiots, it's normal and nothing to worry about. A good number of the people asking about temps were running 240/360 AIO's. I see why Intel and AMD don't include heatsinks with CPU's any more lol.

Jul 27, 2020
A good number of the people asking about temps were running 240/360 AIO's.
I'm getting confused coz you wrote "85f" in your previous post and now you are using C.

If your CPU is idling at 85C, something is very wrong.

If it's 85F, that's not a bad temperature.

Yeah, you can expect the temps to go above 65C in certain heavily threaded games. But generally your games should stay below 75C, especially with an AIO. You already have 20 threads in your CPU which is overkill for games. To decrease temps and improve game performance slightly, you could disable hyperthreading in BIOS. That still leaves you 14 cores/14 threads. My friend with the i5-12400 gamed with just 6 cores/6 threads. He enjoyed it and the CPU ran cooler too, with the Intel stock heatsink.

CInebench and other extreme benchmarks like Prime95 are the ones that would make your AIO feel inadequate and I hope that you don't care about them. Otherwise, you will be looking to get a 420mm AIO.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I'm getting confused coz you wrote "85f" in your previous post and now you are using C.

If your CPU is idling at 85C, something is very wrong.

If it's 85F, that's not a bad temperature.

Yeah, you can expect the temps to go above 65C in certain heavily threaded games. But generally your games should stay below 75C, especially with an AIO. You already have 20 threads in your CPU which is overkill for games. To decrease temps and improve game performance slightly, you could disable hyperthreading in BIOS. That still leaves you 14 cores/14 threads. My friend with the i5-12400 gamed with just 6 cores/6 threads. He enjoyed it and the CPU ran cooler too, with the Intel stock heatsink.

CInebench and other extreme benchmarks like Prime95 are the ones that would make your AIO feel inadequate and I hope that you don't care about them. Otherwise, you will be looking to get a 420mm AIO.

Sorry, most of the Reddit people seem to use C so that was stuck in my brain. I don't care about benchmarks, I ran Crystal so I could see M.2 speeds but I'm not hung up on numbers. I haven't built a computer in a decade, do people still run Prime 95 overnight to see if the system's stable, or am I showing my age? Use to be run Prime 95 all night then memtest86 all day.

This BIOS has an impressive amount of options compared to the BIOS on my ASRock Z77 board. I'm going to have to spend an hour tomorrow going thru it and another 2 hours researching so I know what all this new shit is.

Jul 27, 2020
do people still run Prime 95 overnight to see if the system's stable, or am I showing my age?
Some do. This is what I run on a new PC/laptop:

Geekbench 5
Unigine Superposition
Rapydmark
Furmark Full HD preset benchmark and then custom preset with 8X Multisample
Passmark Performance Test

The GB5 score lets me see how the CPU I'm testing compares to other CPUs of the same model. If the difference is too large, I then know that something is wrong. The rest of the benchmarks are stressful enough that if there's a serious problem (like overheating), it will become apparent using them.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
What CPU? My 3570k idled around 35 too :D I know you're in the process of upgrading. I read about 20 threads on Reddit about 13600k temps, and unless everyone is lying a lot of people idle around 40c and when they game 60-65c. And unless the people replying are trolling or just idiots, it's normal and nothing to worry about. A good number of the people asking about temps were running 240/360 AIO's. I see why Intel and AMD don't include heatsinks with CPU's any more lol.

Currently, i7-9700k. The ONLY time it's ever gotten over 80C is when the pump for the crappy IBuyPower AIO died 2 weeks after the wareanty expired. I know the i513600k is supposed to be a firecracker and difficult to cool...but 85C at idle...something is wrong