Building a center channel

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/230003-design-me-crossover-ill-build.html

I'll keep this up to date with pictures and whatnot.

I needed a center channel and I wasn't satisfied with what I could get in my price range (<$250) since I wanted very wide, smooth polar response from a minimally-tall package. End result here should be something that gets me a very smooth, almost flat, +/- 30 degree horizontal off-axis response due to the driver layout and spacing, and the best part is that the box is only 8" tall. I'm planning on putting my plasma on top of it to keep the distance at a minimum; voices should sound like they're coming from the display, not from around it.

I've ordered some of the crossover parts already and will finish the order later this week. Will start working on the wood when it gets warmer.

cliffs:

building a CC
layout is W(TM)W
all custom
size is approx 8" tall x 22-24" wide x 12-14" deep

Last edited:

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
it should turn out pretty spectacular. people dont usually realize that even higher end speakers come with really crappy cones and crossovers.

they sort of have to because of the cost. if you buy a pair of towers for $250, you can pretty easily double that price just by putting in real quality cones. thing is, the end result is exponentially better results.