'Building a $2,000 1440p Gaming PC' - Tom's (when an NZXT ad is hiding as a guide / review)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/2000-dollar-1440p-gaming-pc-build

Untitled.jpg

I was going to post this in computer building, but the focus is not on that. Instead, it's to point out this is a crappy attempt to hide NZXT marketing. There are a lot of guides out there across various sites that I might not agree with, but when I saw this one I immediately thought "What the hell is this shit?".

A $300 motherboard, along with a NZXT $235 AIO cooler, $120 power supply, and $150 case. Unfortunately, NZXT doesn't offer RAM or SSDs (yet), so they went with 32GB of overpriced RAM (when other kits are $100 less). And the CPU to power this "beast"........a $180 Ryzen 3600X. :rolleyes:

Obvious marketing is obvious. C'mon Tom's, you can be better than this.

Reactions: Zanovar

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
after failing at finding the 3600X in bench, i searched the intartrons for 3600 reviews, found the tom's review, and was assaulted by so many ads and autoplaying garbage i decided i was better off not knowing.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
after failing at finding the 3600X in bench, i searched the intartrons for 3600 reviews, found the tom's review, and was assaulted by so many ads and autoplaying garbage i decided i was better off not knowing.
I killed that off (Anandtech added the same thing in many of their reviews) by creating a custom rule in Ublock Origin. Before I did that, I could hardly stand to look at any Tom's article. Their auto-playing video loads on every single page, and that shit is super annoying for 6-10 page articles.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I killed that off (Anandtech added the same thing in many of their reviews) by creating a custom rule in Ublock Origin. Before I did that, I could hardly stand to look at any Tom's article. Their auto-playing video loads on every single page, and that shit is super annoying for 6-10 page articles.

I turned off all video support in the browser to avoid that and made a separate Firefox Profile just for Youtube/etc.

Reactions: UsandThem