Build quality difference between dell latitude, and lenovo thinkpad...

Tbirdkid

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2002
Im getting ready to order a thinkpad or a latitude. Im a network admin, and need it for a workstation, as well as the ability to make it portable to take with me to several sites. I am wondering what the weigh in is on the build quality between the two of these as of late. I have always been a thinkpad guy, but, I want to make sure that the notebook is of great build quality to last me a while. Thanks!

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
These things are very subjective. The build quality on the Lenovo T series is, in this users opinion - excellent. The hinges are stronmg, the power connection is robust, and my T-60 fell 3 ft. to a concrete floor during airport security process. No damage at all. The soft rubber rails on the HDD caddy are well designed.

Dell quality suffered when Michael Dell "retired." But, it has come back since then. Latitude is better than Inspiron.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Both are targeted at corporate business, so both are far, far better than their consumer counterparts. You can't really do bad with either, but I also tend to still favor the ThinkPad.

bliq00

Oct 17, 2009
I kinda like the Dell because of the easy availability of parts. I've had both, I found the THinkpad to be pretty thoughtfully designed but found the Dell a better all around laptop. I like my corporate issued Macbook Pro the best though, design, capability, OS (as a sysadmin, the native terminal is essential) and the fact I don't have to pay for it.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
dell is lowest on totem pole - no innovation
lenovo makes some low end gear too now - at least they innovate.

the good lenovo > the best dell as far as laptop reliability/quality

lenovo keyboard owns.

us3rnotfound

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
The screen on the Lenovo T series went to shit imo, I own one. I don't know about Dell screens, though.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Typing this on a Dell E6400. I like it. My previous Latitude D610 ran with me for four years. I'm a consultant travelling Europe 24/7, and it NEVER missed beat. I don't expext this E series to either. Very solid units.

Knavish

May 17, 2002
My company of about 20 people exclusively uses Latitudes. I can't think of any reliability problem with any of the systems we've both over the last ~4 yrs. I used a Latitude D620 for 3 & just upgraded because a faster (D630) became available.

Tbirdkid

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2002
Just the sort of info I am looking for guys. Thanks alot. The bad, i have to wait until around the middle of next month to get it. WTF? A mainstream business laptop without really any complex changes isnt built and ready? Thats obsurd.

Tbirdkid

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2002
Also, I tried to get them to spring for a mbp, but they wont. They want a dell to be my main business machine. I guess its got something to do with a decent docking station and widescreen monitor setup... Im sure its cheaper.