Build put on hold

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
UPDATE
I'm going to be putting this build on hold for a while. We had an incident on location yesterday that lost us a lot of work so I'm unsure what the future looks like where I work, so I'll be saving everything until I find out if we are going to be working out of town or if we are going to be reduced to 40 hour checks for a while. I'm going to leave this up since I still plan on building this, but it might be delayed a while now. With that being said, it looks like I might as well just wait and see what the Ryzen 3000 looks like and change my build if needed.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for.
Gaming - Futureproofing for Cyberpunk (if and when they release the specs)

2. What YOUR budget is.
Roughly $1,500 USD - Though I'd like to go much lower if possible (around $1,000).

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Newegg - USA

5. IF YOU have a brand preference.
GPU - eVGA

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
256GB SSD
Mouse
GPU (I can wait until later to get a new GPU since they are still a bit pricey for the 2080s).

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Slight OC. Nothing extreme that would require water cooling.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
I was hoping to go for 4K this time around since my current is 2K, but I'd be fine with my current monitor until I can save up for a 2K G-Sync 144 or a 4K of the same style. They seem a bit pricey at the moment, though my current build will be going to my fiance so I'll need a new monitor for her (1080 will suffice or a similar 2K monitor).

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
As soon as I settle on a part list that I like.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
Operating system(s).

At the moment I'm not entirely sure which is the best route for CPU - AMD or Intel. I've been out of the loop for a while and with my work schedule, I don't have much time to keep up on new hardware. The last PC I built was a Ryzen rig for my mom but it didn't come without issues. It was my first experience with Windows 10 and I hadn't used AMD in probably 12 years at that point, so there was some trial and error.

I'll be posting this but also checking out parts and putting together a list. I'd prefer to buy everything from one place (Newegg) but if Amazon or somewhere else has the same part for cheaper, then I'll go with that.

I appreciate any and all feedback. I will be going back to work in two days and if they send me out of town again, I might not have service for two or three weeks, but if I'm in town, I should have service to check on this periodically and modify the build as new information is posted.

Current build:

Case - $80 ($65 after MIR)
CPU - $490
Mobo - $230
Sink - $40
PSU - $60 ($50 after MIR)
RAM - $185
Win10 - $110
Keyboard + Mouse - $95
SSD - $78

Current total: $1,368 ($1,343 after MIR)

Last edited:

AnnoyedGrunt

Jan 31, 2004
Since the Ryzen 3000 stuff is so close (a couple months away), I would hold off on a new build to see what the performance of those are like.

The 3700X and 3800X could be very interesting for a gaming focused build, and the $3900X might be great for a high-end build. I believe it will be right around the price of the 9900K, which you have specified above, but with potentially better performance and lower power consumption.

Of course the 9900K gives you just about the best performance in games and production tasks in the "normal" category, and you can get it right now, so there are good reasons to go that route as well.

I built a 2700X system last year, and have been very happy with it. I have an Acer Predator 1440P monitor @ 144 Hz, with a EVGA 2080 GPU, and the system works very well. I may be missing a few FPS here or there compared to an Intel build, but the balance of gaming performance and video encoding makes the 2700X a great choice for me. And I could go to a 3XXX series CPU with only a BIOS update if I really wanted.

As far as your component choices go, I think they are fine (except for maybe the CPU cooler). Here are some alternatives to consider:

Case: I really like the Fractal Design Meshify C Mini (for a mini-ATX or mini-ITX build), or the regular Meshify C for a regular build.

SSC: Consider going for a larger size so you won't need to worry about space. The 2TB version of the 860 EVO would be a fine choice. In general I think you could get the least expensive, largest capacity drive and you wouldn't notice much real world performance difference between the fastest, most expensive drive out there. Of course that depends on your use case.

CPU Cooler: I would go with a Noctua cooler rather than the Hyper212. It is pretty small these days and IMO barely sufficient for a high power CPU like the 9900K (which burns lots of power when turbo'd). I am using a NH-U14 for my 2700X, and it is working very well. Noctua has some even larger ones if desired.

PSU: I would go for at least a Gold PSU. I have had great luck with Seasonic PSU's over the years, so they are my first choice, but I've heard good things about EVGA as well, and I believe they may be made by Seasonic (or at least some of their models).

Hope those ideas help, and good luck with your build!

-AG

mwforrest7

Aug 18, 2011
Allegedly the Ryzen 3800X coming out in a month (7/7) will perform about the same or slightly better than the i9-9900K but for about $100 less . Above that, the 3900X is going to be the same price as the 9900K but will perform as well as intel's $1200 i9-9920X with significantly less power consumption. All that said, this is all based on AMD's slide deck, so it'll be interesting seeing the independent benchmark testing.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Thanks for the Noctua suggestions. I haven't had good luck with Cooler Masters in the past, but they are fairly cheap with decent designs for replacing fans (the one component that always fails) and since I have a surplus of 120mm fans lying around, it's not a huge deal if one dies on me.

As for the CPU, I was hoping to stick with Intel as I haven't used AMD since 2005, but if I'll get more bang for my buck, I can wait.

Any other suggestions or tweaks on this?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
If you want to go with Intel, for a gaming rig, why not just stick with the Intel Core i5-9600K?
You can easily overclock it with a decent air cooler if you need better single thread performance, and it will keep you costs down.

Reactions: Flayed

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Something tells me the 3900k will be the chip to get. If you get the 9900k your gonna need one heck of a air cooler to not watercool it especially with a oc. The best air cooler has temps still hitting 84cel i believe with some slight overclocking. There was mention of a member who used such a cooler with the 9900k on a 5ghz oc in a 9900k thread.I

I even feel a air cooled 3800x may be more practical and cheaper. Maybe a mild overclock on a Hyper 212 over like a $90 Noctua NH-D15 if you went with a 9900k? Maybe even the stock cooler will be sufficient for the 3800x?

I have the same exact heatsink as proposed in your build but since have replaced the stock fan and honestly its barely enough for my 8700 non k. I hit upper 70s low 80s depending on ambients and if i am stress testing or not. Gaming in BF1/BF5 temps rarely hit 60cel though. I wouldn't pair the 212 with a 9900k. If anything the i5 8400 i had before had nearly equal loading temps on its stock cooler.

Last edited: