Build mostly for poker

PO-R

Mar 8, 2013
Hi,
I'm putting together a build for my wife.

1. mostly for online poker - multi-tabling on a couple sites while simultaneously using pokerprolabs software (no HUD). AND, general web-surfing, Skype, email, etc. (our home phone is on SKype)

2. ~$500

3. Canada

4. Newegg (.ca)

5. Intel, Asus, AsRock, SeaSonic,

7. 'No' overclocking

8. 1920 x 1080 (probably just one monitor)

9. SOON! (would like to order up parts in next couple days)

I'm thinking I should go with i3-3220 processor
Not sure what motherboard to use? I will likely only have HD 1TB (or 500GB) 7200rpm, but maybe 6mos. from now will be adding a SSD (120GB).
Wondering if I should go with B75 chipset? OR H77? And any benefit to having SRT?

thanks for your help!

(I have another build in the works as well but will post in a different thread.... one for myself :) )

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Since the performance needed is that low, I think it's a good fit for a small fanless system. Takes minimal room, silent, and has no moving parts to wear out. Akasa Euler or Streacom FC8 Evo are some relevant case choices (silentpcreview has a comprehensive review out on both). Your CPU pick should be fine. I dunno about mobos but it's easy enough to pick a solid one from reviews.

Do you actually need the 500GB of HD space? If not, you should buy a SSD right off the bat. It makes all the difference to how a productivity machine feels to use.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I played a fair amount of online poker & the one recommendation I would have is if you don't already have the monitor get something 1920x1200 or 2560x1440 if you can swing the difference in cost. <1200 pixels is quite limiting. Unless things have changed a lot most sites were really optimized for 800x600, with quad tabling @ 1600x1200 a good fit.

Viper GTS

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com

PO-R

Mar 8, 2013
Thanks for the help!

I hadn't considered going with a mini ITX board before & really getting the SSD first, then adding a HD later seems like a more logical approach (if need be, she can store some stuff on an external HD).

Going to have a bit of a delay on the build :( I just purchased her an older VW Passat GLX & it seems I'm needing a heater core for it.... sigh.

Will be getting this in a couple weeks now instead, month at the most.

As far as display goes, already have a 23" Acer LED that I'm planning on handing down to her (& am grabbing a HannsG 27" for myself, .... had plans of just getting another ACER to match the one I have for myself but currently play on two monitors and am growing tired of it).
btw, even with 1920 x 1080 I'm able to comfortably play 9 tables on my screen but often go with 16-tables with slight overlap

PO-R

Mar 8, 2013
Sorry to hear that. :( Post again when you're ready and we'll make an updated build.

Thanks. I'm glad I discovered this forum. You folks are very helpful.

Looks like my plans may be delayed even further now.... our hot water tank experienced catastrophic failure last week, followed on the very next day by a condensate return pump (for steam heat/boiler) seizing. A bunch of stuff I hadn't budgetted for. :( soon though! The computer is a priority!

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If you have Amazon.com in Canada, you might check them out too.

I have one computer hooked up to a HDTV. Makes watching youtube and online video nice.