[Build Complete] First Custom PC Rig Under $265 How I Did I do?

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
It's not bad, other than the PSU. You should have really gone for the Corsair CX430 for $26 after a $20 rebate, which comes from a better manufacturer, but your choice isn't going to explode on you either.

DiamondRyce

Dec 29, 2012
It's not bad, other than the PSU. You should have really gone for the Corsair CX430 for $26 after a $20 rebate, which comes from a better manufacturer, but your choice isn't going to explode on you either.

As long if it does not explode I am happy. I can change it down the line and maybe put the psu into a build for like my parents or something that is not demanding. Thanks for your opinion though appreciate it

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
That's a nice system. But your build's price did not include an OS, a hard drive, or an optical drive, so you didn't really build a PC for $265. ;)

Still, a great effort, and it's a great platform to grow with, if you'd like to upgrade down the line.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Heh, similar to my build in my sig, but I used Ebay and Micro Center to shave a few more dollars off. But alas, I didn't grab a video card. :( The RAM was 19.99 and the optical drive was 16.99, so it was $10 cheaper at time of purchase. Also, I really need to get Windows installed. XD

Also, that PSU has bad noise and ripple control that is barely within spec at lower wattages. You probably won't notice it though, since the PCs will be retired before any effects show themselves.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/arti...me-Power-Plus-500-W-Power-Supply-Review/728/7

Last edited:

DiamondRyce

Dec 29, 2012
That's a nice system. But your build's price did not include an OS, a hard drive, or an optical drive, so you didn't really build a PC for $265. ;)

Still, a great effort, and it's a great platform to grow with, if you'd like to upgrade down the line.

Yeah not many first time builders probably dont have old hdd, OS,SSD , optical drive just laying around. Not many need optical drives since you can install it by like a usb flash drive but I had one around in the house.

I mean you could use linux as an OS but not many would want to. I just had a windows 7 key for me

DiamondRyce

Dec 29, 2012
I was going to be jealous until I noticed there wasn't a SSD or standard HD included :).

Here's mine, although I haven't actually built it yet. http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2302910

Mine came to about $345 ($311 after rebates), but it included an SSD.

I was greatful to get an old 128 Gb ssd from my brother (sata 2 but did not matter as my motherboard only supported sata 2 and not three)