Build a new PC with MS OS Upgrade CD's only, possible?

pilgrim2u

Nov 20, 2002

I have a w98 upgrade cd with box and numbers

BB has the XP home UPGRADE on sale this week.

Is there a way I can build a new PC and use these two CD's?
Or do I need a FULL version?
Never built a PC before

Thanks

Theguynextdoor

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2004
Yes you can. You don't even have to install 98 just pop in the upgrade Cd, and it'll ask you for an older cd, pop in 98 and you're done.

Aug 26, 2004
iirc...its been a while since i used win98...it will have an upgrade cd key and a full install cd key...if you use the full install cd key you should be able to get 98 then go to xp...but i dont think it would run as well upgrading to xp as it would on a clean install...just my 2 cents

airfoil

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by: ArnoldLayne
I would just get the OEM version of XP Home for $93 and save yourself the hassle.

I agree with Arnold. An upgrade is not a good way of installing an OS, IMO.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: airfoil
I would just get the OEM version of XP Home for $93 and save yourself the hassle.

I respectfully disagree.

An upgrade install is a "Full" install if you have the older disks to verify your ownership of an upgradeable version of Windows. Why pay extra?

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Crazyfool

I respectfully disagree.

An upgrade install is a "Full" install if you have the older disks to verify your ownership of an upgradeable version of Windows. Why pay extra?

Exactly. You can install XP "from scratch" even with an upgrade CD.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941

Note If your Windows XP CD-ROM is an upgrade, you are prompted to insert a CD-ROM of a previous operating system to verify upgrade compliance. Remove the Windows XP CD-ROM, and then insert the CD-ROM from your previous operating system into the CD-ROM drive.

imported_Phil

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2001
Originally posted by: MrChad
Originally posted by: Crazyfool

I respectfully disagree.

Exactly. You can install XP "from scratch" even with an upgrade CD.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941

Note If your Windows XP CD-ROM is an upgrade, you are prompted to insert a CD-ROM of a previous operating system to verify upgrade compliance. Remove the Windows XP CD-ROM, and then insert the CD-ROM from your previous operating system into the CD-ROM drive.

However, AFAIK (as I've tried this before a long time ago), it might very well accept the 98 Upgrade disc, but it might also spit it out and ask for a Full disk.

gpgofast

Oct 6, 2000
My windows XP Home upgrade installs fresh asking only for a previous version's disk to verify ownership. I have used a Windows 95, Windows ME upgrade disc and a Windows 98SE upgrade disk. All have worked at one time or another and NO time has any files been installed other than those on my XP upgrade disk. GP

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
That's my understanding as well. However, if you're unlucky enough to own a computer built by Gateway or Dell, you probably don't have an installation CD. Instead those companies send you a System Restoration CD that is suppose to allow you to reinstall windows.

Those System Restoration CDs do NOT satify the XP Upgrade CD that you have a legally licensed copy of Windows and therefore the XP Upgrade won't work.

I'm finding this out the hard way.:(

And to find anyone with a Windows 98 installation CD to loan to me is proving to be a serious challenge.

I agree with the posters who posted earlier....you're better off just buying an OEM copy and going with that.....I wish I would have!