Question Bugcheck code 278 issue black Screen.

Unreal123

Jul 27, 2016
I having a issue related with Bugcheck code 278. I have Rtx 3070 Ti FTW 3, 9600K, 16 GB Corsair dominator and Asrock Z370 Mobo, and Cooler Master V750 Gold PSU.

While in gaming first i used to have blackscreen and system restarted automatically on GPU default clocks, ,however, issue increased. Temporary it solved with taking out PCIE slot and switch it and it solves for a day than again it starts when ever i play games on it and now the whenever i play games it now screen goes black and i have to force restart ,however, it only solves for while when i switch PCIE or connect it again.

Krteq

May 22, 2015
Famous "Kernel Power" error 278 :rolleyes:

It can be anything - most likely old/insufficient PSU ...or driver, RAM, etc.

Jul 27, 2020
however, it only solves for while when i switch PCIE or connect it again.
So on restart, the black screen issue persists unless you shut it down and switch PCIe slot? Have you tried hard shutdown and waiting for a few seconds to turn PC on without switching the card to another slot?

Unreal123

Jul 27, 2016
So on restart, the black screen issue persists unless you shut it down and switch PCIe slot? Have you tried hard shutdown and waiting for a few seconds to turn PC on without switching the card to another slot?
Restart does not work or even new Drivers. Taking out GPU from PCIE Slot or PCIE 8 pin does the trick.

Jul 27, 2020
Restart does not work or even new Drivers. Taking out GPU from PCIE Slot or PCIE 8 pin does the trick.
When this happens, shut down the PC and take out the three pin connector from the back of the PSU. Wait few minutes and then put the connector back in, start the PC and see if the GPU works.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I'd start with a generic troubleshoot. First DDU the drivers and start over fresh. No joy? Latest bios for ASRock. Monitor PSU rails and 3070ti hotspot temp in HWINfo for issues. Run memtest on ram. Reseat everything. Throw fresh windows on a spare drive/buy one, and see if the issue persists.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Instead of pulling it out of the PCI-E slot, unplug the power from the machine, and push the power button. That should drain any residual power. Wait 30 seconds, then plug it in and turn it back on.

It could still be the GPU at fault for the 278 code. Though it typically means there was a current spike that made the PSU unhappy.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
Instead of pulling it out of the PCI-E slot, unplug the power from the machine, and push the power button. That should drain any residual power. Wait 30 seconds, then plug it in and turn it back on.

It could still be the GPU at fault for the 278 code. Though it typically means there was a current spike that made the PSU unhappy.
My suspicion too. Though you explained it really well.

Unreal123

Jul 27, 2016
I'd start with a generic troubleshoot. First DDU the drivers and start over fresh. No joy? Latest bios for ASRock. Monitor PSU rails and 3070ti hotspot temp in HWINfo for issues. Run memtest on ram. Reseat everything. Throw fresh windows on a spare drive/buy one, and see if the issue persists.
Did all and non solve the issue. Issue remains unless i take out PCIE Pins.

Unreal123

Jul 27, 2016

The issue comes after a day or 2. Not consistent, however, whenever this issue comes the games runs for 2 or 3 secs and black screen no matter what i try. To solve it have to take out PCIE Pin it runs like a charm for a day or 2.

No issue what so ever on IDLE, Youtube or browsing. Only gaming.

Jul 27, 2020
Could be that during demanding scenes, there are sudden power spikes that the PSU is unable to handle, leading to blackout.

I found this: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...s-cards/5/408152/rtx-3070-black-screen-issue/

If your RTX 3070 is connected with one PCI-e cable that splits to 2X(6/2) pins , please consider connecting the GPU with 2 cables of PCI-e

If your PSU has multiple GPU power cables, connect one 6-pin PCIe from one cable and the 2-pin PCIe connector from a different cable.

Other possible solutions:

Set PCIe mode from AUTO to 3.0 or 4.0 in UEFI/BIOS.
OR
Underclock/undervolt the GPU using MSI Afterburner.

If all these fail to fix the issue, consider trying a different PSU.

Have you contacted EVGA support? A bad capacitor on the graphics card is a possibility too.

Unreal123

Jul 27, 2016
Could be that during demanding scenes, there are sudden power spikes that the PSU is unable to handle, leading to blackout.

I found this: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...s-cards/5/408152/rtx-3070-black-screen-issue/

If your PSU has multiple GPU power cables, connect one 6-pin PCIe from one cable and the 2-pin PCIe connector from a different cable.

Other possible solutions:

Set PCIe mode from AUTO to 3.0 or 4.0 in UEFI/BIOS.
OR
Underclock/undervolt the GPU using MSI Afterburner.

If all these fail to fix the issue, consider trying a different PSU.

Have you contacted EVGA support? A bad capacitor on the graphics card is a possibility too.
I tried on default settings of GPU ,however, once the issue comes no matter what i do the issue remains.

For example, it shows black screen and restart on fix time like i tested on Witcher 3 in game, and in the in game time after Witcher 3 time from 8.12 AM to 10.24 AM the issue comes and to stop it need to plug out the GPU or PCIE plug.

Now it shows black screen and have to do force restart no matter what i try and have to plug out the gpu or it's PCIE plug.

I am using 2 Cables for PCIE 8 not a single.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The issue comes after a day or 2. Not consistent, however, whenever this issue comes the games runs for 2 or 3 secs and black screen no matter what i try. To solve it have to take out PCIE Pin it runs like a charm for a day or 2.

No issue what so ever on IDLE, Youtube or browsing. Only gaming.

So are you saying you have tried the process I noted above?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
If possible, it is time to test the card in another system. Otherwise I'd RMA it. Next would be the PSU and board. You have put a lot of time into this troubleshoot already.

Unreal123

Jul 27, 2016
If possible, it is time to test the card in another system. Otherwise I'd RMA it. Next would be the PSU and board. You have put a lot of time into this troubleshoot already.
The problem is that card run fine ,however, issue comes up randomly after a day or 2 and it gets solve by unpluging PCIE 8 slot or reslot the GPU.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The problem is that card run fine ,however, issue comes up randomly after a day or 2 and it gets solve by unpluging PCIE 8 slot or reslot the GPU.
You and I have a different definition of runs fine. ;) You tried fresh windows, stability checked ram, all temps and voltages seem to check out. That leaves the card, the board, and the PSU as the most likely problem. If you are loath to part with the card, replace the board first, or try the card in another system.

Unreal123

Jul 27, 2016
When this happens, shut down the PC and take out the three pin connector from the back of the PSU. Wait few minutes and then put the connector back in, start the PC and see if the GPU works.
I happened again black screen. Tried your way and it solved temporary again. So it means disconnect the power solves the issue for bases.

• Wow